This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

Comments

• If I had a Mac, I could make a Mac video.

I guess if you have gaps in knowledge we have to start at the bottom. Do you know how PATHs like PYTHON_PATH work? Do you know how the import command in Python works?
  • Could you skype me and talk there? I'm luke.burrage
  • To answer those questions. I know paths and python_path. I know the import command. I know many things. Currently I'm stuck on:

"SystemError: Cannot locate working compiler"

It's always something a tiny bit beyond the bottom, but all fixes to such a problem assume I'm well above the bottom. I'm not. I'm a little bit above the bottom.
  • In the second video you jump from something not working to knowing which dependencies are needed to make that compile and installing them. How do you know such things? Should I be installing xcode to make a python extension run? That's the only solution I can find by googling. To me that seems way over the top, and not something I feel I should be doing every time I want to be able to sort alphabetically with ä in the right place.
  • To answer those questions. I know paths and python_path. I know the import command. I know many things. Currently I'm stuck on:

"SystemError: Cannot locate working compiler"

It's always something a tiny bit beyond the bottom, but all fixes to such a problem assume I'm well above the bottom. I'm not. I'm a little bit above the bottom.
    Oooh, I know what's going on.
  • Should I be installing xcode to make a python extension run?
    Turns out: yes.

• Testing out Sublime Text 2 by working on a Lua project over the weekend. Hopefully I have results by Sunday :3
  • Looks kinda neat.
  • Might look at it if I could get a good C# compiler for Windows.
  • a good C# compiler for Windows.
    Uh, C#... the one designed by Microsoft? Doesn't seem like it should be a problem, right?
  • a good C# compiler for Windows.
    Uh, C#... the one designed by Microsoft? Doesn't seem like it should be a problem, right?
    Price isn't even an issue. Visual Studio Express, which includes a C# compiler, is free.
  • edited August 2013
    A compiler that isn't integrated into VS. I suppose I could compile it later, but then why am I using a different editor.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited August 2013
    It's not worth using a somewhat better editor to then have to open it in VS to test/compile it. Things like gcc can be invoked with a command line or a script.
  • edited August 2013
    Urgh, windows command line.

Why did no-one ever tell me that most small businesses use so much windows server.
  • Powershell, cygwin, mingw are all viable alternatives... To be honest, I really don't think you have a strong enough grasp of the Windows dev environment to be making any judgments.
  • Which would be most like the linux command line?
    I stated my preferences.
  • LOL why don't you put only the minimum amount of effort of research to find out.
  • You know, never mind.
  • edited August 2013
    There's tools that do fairly similar things in Visual Studio. Using Sublime Text would be an alternative for any other situation, maybe excluding Java.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
    Working on a roguelike game using Lua and Love2D
  • Lots of under the hood changes, messed around with GLSL shaders, but ultimatley decided to shelf it for the time being. Working on dungeon generation now.
  • edited August 2013
    Weekend update:
    -Implemented BSP data structure to initiate dungeon creation. Lots of improvement needed to make the dungeons fun, but it works for now. Need to also make sure you can access every room.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2013
    I'm using jsoup throughout an app I'm creating to process HTML. In one part of the app, I just need to load a page but not process it (basically just pass some variables to a php script). Is it substantially wasteful to use jsoup to do this?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • It's still a weekday, but I started messing with the Google Glass Mirror API. I can do a lot with this. The Glass-specific stuff is actually quite easy. The problem that is going to keep me from moving quickly is that I have to learn a lot of Google App Engine stuff.
  • edited August 2013
    Google App engine ain't too hard.

Here's some stuff you should know:
    AsyncTasks - For running network or other long-running stuff in the background.
    openFileOutput/openFileInput for internal storage i/o.
    Resources - One important thing to note is strings used in the UI should be stored as resources in strings.xml
    Intents
    Services - Longer running background stuff without a UI (for example playing music in the background) (Never used these myself)
    Permissions
    jsoup - not google-specific but important if you're doing any web-scraping (run this in an asynctask)

Let me know if you have any questions, I've been doing android dev for about a year now.

Herpderp I don't know what google app engine is.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I am getting the ball rolling on adding TOTP for my job, here come the brownie points.
  • TOTP? Top of the Pops?