This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What you want to see in the Artist's Ally.

edited October 2007 in Conventions
I'm thinking of getting an Artist's Ally table at some conventions, and I would like some advice.
What do you want to see at the Artist's Ally? More fanart, more fanmanga, more fanmerch? Please be specific. As in, what type of fanart do you want to see, from what manga or anime? What type of merch do you want to buy? Etc...
Last Otakon I was personally disappointed in the Artist's Ally. Although they had some very good artists, all I saw was "bit hit" anime fanart (aka Naruto, Kingdom Hearts, Bleach).
Any help would be appreciated. ^__~

Comments

• edited October 2007
    I want to see your art books for sale, prints of your best pieces and you doing fan sketches for cheap.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I like geeky t-shirts. Specifically, I like geeky t-shirts that aren't too obscure for non-anime geeks to miss. I don't like geeky t-shirts that are based off of inside jokes from a poorly drawn web comic that I don't read.

I like comic books as well, but they better be halfway decent and not cost an arm and a leg.

I like to look at fanart, but I don't like paying for it.

I don't like anime/manga-themed coin purses, key chains, or other piddly little trinkets that I'll never use.
  • Personally, I'm a button fanatic.  If your table has cute/witty buttons of pretty much any size I will come over an look at them. 
    Try to find something new.  I remember those Ghosts that Rym and Scott talked about in a few shows (About Mocca, I think).  Felt hats are all over the placenow from different sellers, and almost every table will have fan-art prints.  Set yourself apart.
  • I personally like the cheaper comic books as well, along with buttons and, if for some particular reason I love the art/subject/style, I'll buy a print or maybe even a canvas picture, price considering.

A suggestion is to have a large variety of things, and double check what you can sell. At Otafest, one of my favourite conventions and the one where I had both of my tables at, the rules state that t-shirts and trinkets are against the rules; buttons and comics are alright. I almost made the mistake of not double-checking before I went last year, because i was going to sell my friend's lil anime purses for her. I would've been kicked out if I hadn't checked that first.
  • I love seeing traditional artwork. Paintings, pastels, charcoal. Sure CG is nice, but a watercolor painting, even if it's fan art, is way cooler IMHO.
  • Most of what was said already I want to see.
    I love seeing traditional artwork. Paintings, pastels, charcoal. Sure CG is nice, but a watercolor painting, even if it's fan art, is way cooler IMHO.
    Yes! I love seeing that as well. I have a huge love of traditional methods and manga. The merge of the two brought a fantastic thing! When I see stuff like that in the art show I want it!

Personally, I'm a button fanatic.  If your table has cute/witty buttons of pretty much any size I will come over an look at them. 

Try to find something new.  I remember those Ghosts that Rym and Scott talked about in a few shows (About Mocca, I think).  Felt hats are all over the placenow from different sellers, and almost every table will have fan-art prints.  Set yourself apart.
    I agree with this as well. I like to flock towards the art tables with something way different rather than the same old.
  • I love buying minicomics. It doesn't really matter what it's OF. I just like minicomics. A lot. My collection is small (this being Australia where there are very few artists at conventions. Over half my collection is from America) but growing. :D

Consider making postcards. They sell really well. Suggest to people that they buy multiples and send them to friends who couldn't attend the convention! People will buy them because they like the art and want a piece to keep as well. Postcard-sized original art can reasonably fetch a higher price than prints (and yet still be affordable) and I personally like seeing them around but of course you'll only have the one copy to sell.

The reason you see a lot of "big hit" anime stuff is that it's the only stuff that sells. Apparently. :/ LE SIGH.
  • Another thing that I like to see in an artist's ally is loyalty. Nothing pisses me off more than getting stabbed in the back by a disloyal ally, especially when I'm in a dark alley and expecting my ally to cover my rear.
  • Another thing that I like to see in an artist's ally is loyalty. Nothing pisses me off more than getting stabbed in the back by a disloyal ally, especially when I'm in a dark alley and expecting my ally to cover my rear.
    I never seen artist treat each other badly in the alley. I guess I should watch my back more if I do participate in Katsucon's alley.
  • I'm almost too shy to make friends, but last year I made a friend with an older lady next to us. <3 She was selling a furry comic (which was awesome) and we chatted quite a bit. I saw her again at Anime Evolution (Vancouver), and I hung out at her table for a bit, between panels.

It's just like anywhere else, truly...
  • Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I am glad to say that your suggestions were what I already had in mind! ^__^

Another question. If you could see fan art from any anime/manga, what would it be?
  • Hahaha, this is even easier for me!

Pheonix Wright, Silent Hill, Pokemon/Digimon.. And yes, I would consider buying mainstream (specifically Death Note). I know a lot of people who'll buy a crap load of -just- mainstream because they have no long-term favorites.. I'm a little odd because I tend to get into anime or games a few years after their prime. =3
  • Pogeymans ftw! Phoenix Wright, Ouran, maaaybe Fullmetal Alchemist (maybe), The Sandman. Some more obscure ones: The Violinist of Hameln, Phoenix (and other Tezuka works), +Anima, Detective Loki. Those last ones probably wouldn't sell well though. Sandman at an anime convention is a little iffy too. Regardless, it'd have to be pretty damn good to get my money. It's not enough to just draw a character on something and expect to sell it (to me, at least) - it has to be clever in some way. Or if not clever then technically impressive! I think most of the older fans have had more than enough of Mediocre Drawing of Cute Character Number One's Face on button/bookmark/postcard/poster/etc. It's pretty boring.
    Another thing that I like to see in an artist's ally is loyalty. Nothing pisses me off more than getting stabbed in the back by a disloyal ally, especially when I'm in a dark alley and expecting my ally to cover my rear.
    I never seen artist treat each other badly in the alley. I guess I should watch my back more if I do participate in Katsucon's alley.
    Please reread the post and try again.