This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hungry Hippo Board Game Cafe

edited August 2013 in Board Games
Where I live (Adelaide, South Australia) is known as being pretty boring when it's not festival season, however something cool and new is opening that ithat people here might be interested in the idea of. A group of people are opening a nighttime board game cafe at the end of this month. One of my partners and I went to a preview night back in May and it was pretty fun! They don't have the biggest game library yet (there's a list in their website- http://www.thehungryhippo.com/) but its still growing, and you can bring in your own games if you really, really want to. We decided to only play games that we didn't already have at home, and had a blast. The food was pretty good. I really liked the set up, they had a me u for food and a menu of games. You didn't have to pay extra for the games or wait for someone to go get it for you, they were all stacked alphabetically on shelves at the side of the cafe so you could browse visually as well.

The best part of the night was seeing what other people were playing. There was this one game that really caught our eye and we saw it being passed from table to table. It's called Hamsterrolle (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/903/hamsterrolle) and is pretty quick to play. Kinda like advance jenga, since the whole thing can move and pieces fall off as your playing.

So, if you ever end up in Adelaide for some reason, I'd suggest checking the cafe out. Hopefully it'll be popular and hang around for awhile :)

Comments

• Sounds like an awesome place. I don't know how many Aussies are in this forum (4-6 total, I think), but I'll keep it in mind if I ever visit. Makes me wonder if there's a similar place around here.

Oh, and I see you're new to the forum. Welcome! You may want to introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" thread that's stickied near the top of the topics list.
  • This type of place would be awesome in every city, damn why didn't they open up in Perth.

My friends in SA have all moved to other states now so I don't even visit Adelaide any more.
  • This type of place would be awesome in every city, damn why didn't they open up in Perth.
    And/or Brisbane.

• I think it has to so with the dessert cafe culture here in Adelaide. Also, from what I worked while I was there during the day the premises are a Jamaican food place, and on certain nights they convert into the boardgame cafe. I do agree it should be in all places though!
    Oh, and I see you're new to the forum. Welcome! You may want to introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" thread that's stickied near the top of the topics list.
    I assume you mean the "Identify Yourself" thread, which I've been avoiding since I find it really hard to write about myself :P But yeah, I probably should do that at some point.

• These are very happy popular in South Korea. In the early days of the Dice Tower podcast they were mentioned quite often.