This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - GeekNights in Australia part 2

edited August 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, as we prepare for PAX Prime (where we'll be presenting Bad Games), we finish the tales of our trip to Australia for PAX AUS (where we presented Beyond Dungeons & Dragons). Scott broke his arm, we saw some jazz in Fitzroy, Ned Kelly was possibly the first weeaboo, and we hit up some game stores. Before that, Elder Scrolls Online costs money AND has microtransactions, and the Nuremburg Trials brought about the first use of extempore simultaneous interpretation.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• What happened to "That's not a game; you're not a gamer"?
  • Shower head discussion, cracked me up. "Maybe they just bend over and show their asshole to the sky."
  • Scott remembering to do the random history bit each Lounge episode will go as well as how long he remember to read the dirty limerick after the meta moment.
  • edited August 2013
    I thought city bikes were everywhere now?

Bixi (company)

also I thought that front brake on the right side was the norm.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • This episode made me wonder about Australia's population. Apparently it's kinda low. Not Greenland low, but low.
  • Also good on you for mentioning local elections. Our current election had a 16% turnout compared to a nantional 59%. Also we live in a gerrymandered riding.
  • This episode made me wonder about Australia's population. Apparently it's kinda low. Not Greenland low, but low.
    23, 24 million. Mostly concentrated around the east coast.

• As opposed to Indonesia nearby with way less land mass and way more people.
  • edited August 2013
    As opposed to Indonesia nearby with way less land mass and way more people.
    And a greater percentage of habitable land. I haven't listened yet, but I'm guessing they spoke about immigration and asylum seekers again? Because you're kinda barking up the wrong tree, if that's the path you want to take as to reasoning to take more in - we should, but that's not the reasoning.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2013
    Um, wut? I know nothing of your fiddly business. I just know there are a quarter billion people just north of you. Yet on Risk, Australia is two territories!

Edit: Billion... not million!
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Um, wut? I know nothing of your fiddly business. I just know there are a quarter billion people just north of you. Yet on Risk, Australia is two territories!
    It's just that it's the exact argument we get for taking in more refugees, particularly from people in the US and England, so I figured that's where you were going with it - since it's where a lot of other people go when they're saying "you've got a low population." My mistake.

• It appears people chronicled a bunch of PAX AUS

23, 24 million. Mostly concentrated around the east coast.

So about as many people as the New York City Urban Zone. ;^)

/wagging city dicks

• about as many people as the New York City Urban Zone. ;^)/wagging city dicks
    Well, yeah, but who'd be mad enough to cram all those people into such a tiny space? You'd have to be a grade-a sucker to subject yourself to that.

• edited August 2013
    about as many people as the New York City Urban Zone. ;^)/wagging city dicks
    Well, yeah, but who'd be mad enough to cram all those people into such a tiny space? You'd have to be a grade-a sucker to subject yourself to that.

Yeah no shit man, I can barely stand Seattle. I can't imagine living in New York. More people is just absurd.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I'm definitly a lower population guy. I didn't mind Seattle when I was there but LA, which I live somewhat nearby to, is just way too dense. I suspect when I move away from SoCal it will be to an outlying suburb of a large city.
  • edited August 2013
    Actually listening to an episode again. TIL that Scrym are fucking wimps about lake water temperature.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited August 2013
    Actually listening to an episode again. TIL that Scrym are fucking wimps about lake water temperature.
    Probably. It was cold, but it's not THAT bad. No worse than a plunge pool at a sauna, or surfing at this time of year.

(And yes, I am fully aware that I was at times a wuss about the ambient temperature.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Actually listening to an episode again. TIL that Scrym are fucking wimps about lake water temperature.
    I'm not sure they understand how ocean temperature works. Since it is gigantic, the ocean heats up and slows down at a really slow pace so it is super cold in early summer and at its warmest at the end of summer/early fall. Complaining about ocean temperature in may doesn't make sense.
  • Hmm, I never went to the beach when I lived in Melbourne, never felt like it was the right temperature however I did go to the beach more often in Sydney and heaps more in Perth.
  • Wow Scott you fractured your arm, didn't think it was that serious, must have been a greenstick for you to be ok so soon.

As far as coming back, only come back for active tourist stuff that you can't get anywhere else.
  • Apparently I'm not the only person who gets fucked by tram tracks! Someone posted this thread who is not me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/1l3xs0/i_really_really_do_not_like_these/

They are huge problem in Toronto apparently.
  • Well, if you mountain bike, you have to watch for tracks/trenches constantly. There are a lot of things out there that are just waiting to trap your tire and fuck up your day. ;^)
  • Well, if you mountain bike, you have to watch for tracks/trenches constantly. There are a lot of things out there that are just waiting to trap your tire and fuck up your day. ;^)
    I realized yesterday that when I bike without being distracted by other thoughts, such as staying on the left side of the road, I am constantly paying attention to the road surface.
  • Tram tracks are a favourite bike trap. I think in some cities the car companies that bought up tram companies used the fact that bikers injured themselves on the tracks as a reason to dig up the tram lines.
  • Broken bones: I currently have a broken rib. It keeps getting better then not better then better again. I didn't bother seeing a doctor.
    I realized yesterday that when I bike without being distracted by other thoughts, such as staying on the left side of the road, I am constantly paying attention to the road surface.
    Seriously, we should go mountain biking sometime. Single track is stupidly fun.

• Tram tracks are coming to Seattle. We already have some, but there are more on the way.
  • edited August 2013
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I love it when you guys talk about traveling places. Makes me really curious to know more about the place and visit it.