This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Online Gambling Technology

edited August 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the technology concerns of online gambling, itself a microcosm of Internet security and trust concerns in general. In the news, Ballmer steps down as Microsoft CEO (likely signaling a change of direction for the company), so we consider what Microsoft could do to win back the hearts and minds of, well, anyone. In other news, don't confuse unpublished SDKs in flux with malice (yet) when Google's Chromecast beta stops working with your application.

Don't forget to some see is at PAX Prime 2013, where we'll be presenting Bad Games, and also at the Pre-PAX Sky High Tabletop Play Benefitting Food Lifeline!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I can't watch the Breaking Bad recap since it's blocked where I live, thus I'm not sure this was mentioned in it, but the sentiment "you should have just shot him the first time" is actually stated pretty much explicitly during the last two episodes of season 3.
  • edited August 2013
    I put a small amount of money into both Microsoft and Nokia as a "for fun" gamble (the day before the Ballmer thing too, so yay I get to start out a bit ahead). The roundabout point you guys came to is that Microsoft really is the only high-potential wildcard at the table right now. Sure they've fucked up a lot and can keep fucking up, but they're committed to a new direction, so there is at least a chance they will hit a home run.

Big rumors on them further getting in bed w/ Nokia, even sliding their CEO over to Microsoft. By the end of September, they'll be announcing a $499 iPad competitor, a 10' Nokia tablet that runs Windows RT (why???) which I am not very impressed by. But they are doing other things right:

- Lumia 1020 is being properly marketed, and pushed HARD (a first for the WP8 line)
    - Nokia is doing a great job catering to the super-cheap phone market
    - Microsoft backtracked on almost every bad thing planned the XBox One, and the angry gamers will all forget as soon as they want to play Madden and CoD on the next gen consoles.
    - Maybe Windows 8.1 will mack Win8 not blow? I haven't looked at it at all.
    - Surface Pro rolling out another big media push (they really botched the marketing on a good product the first time around) with Surface 2 to follow.

For the first time, I've actually seen my non-tech friends desire a Microsoft product. 3 of my wife's family went WP8 b/c of cost, and one of her friends is jonesing for a Surface Pro. This is new.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited August 2013
    I think more people are aware of and interested in 4G than you realize. It's a pretty substantial part of Verizon's marketing. Also interestingly despite the fact there is a major T-Mobile building in Bellevue I've heard of and witnessed first hand easily the worst reception from them of all providers in Seattle. I know two people specifically that switched away from T-Mobile because they could not get reception in their house, they had to go outside.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • T-Mobile is crap. Every time it rains my data stops working.
  • I willingly switched to the Nexus 4 to have full Glass compatibility, and it didn't bother me b/c I really don't see 4G as a need. For browsing the web, I honestly don't notice a difference.
  • edited August 2013
    For me it was "Well you're paying for 4G whether you have it or not." So I got an iPhone 5, didn't really need to get a new phone at the time but coincidentally my old phone, which I had given to my friend, is basically dying. My mom who also has the same model is having similar issues. So I would've only gotten about 6 months extra out of it. I notice a considerable difference with 4G. At least with Verizon its about twice as fast as their 3G network. It's oftentimes faster than connections over wifi, at least with the iPhone.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • The only phones that I would go for is the Google Play Phones from their store. Fully unlocked and open.
  • This reminded me of something I balked at during the episode: it's always worth it to sell your smartphone if you are unhappy with it and want to switch. Assuming you are paying subsidized prices every 18 months, smartphones always retain their value.

I haven't paid a cent for a phone since the original iPhone came out (which I won in a raffle cause I'm a lucky son of a bitch). I've sold 3 iPhones and a Lumia 920 on eBay, and it's always paid for my next phone.
  • The only phones that I would go for is the Google Play Phones from their store. Fully unlocked and open.
    I'm pretty sure that's what Rym has. Google Nexus 4. It has no 4G.
    I'm pretty sure that's what Rym has. Google Nexus 4. It has no 4G.
    That is one of the phones, they also have HTC and Samsung phones there too.
  • I don't know the specific sites since I've never messed with them, but I know I've seen listings for gambling sites on Tor on various directories.
  • MrPeriod said:

In the news, Ballmer steps down as Microsoft CEO (likely signaling a change of direction for the company), so we consider what Microsoft could do to win back the hearts and minds of, well, anyone.

Ballmer's successor has been announced: Satya Nadella.