This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mighty No. 9 (Mega Man reincarnated)

edited August 2013 in Video Games
Keiji Inafune and his company just launched a Kickstarter for a new game that is both a reaction to the cancellation of Legends 3 and an attempt at reclaiming his own property after leaving Capcom.

I definitely want to play this, but something feels weird. It's distinctly a Mega Man game, the characters look like Mega Man characters, the enemies look like Mega Man enemies, and the gameplay is totally Mega Man gameplay (maybe more Mega Man X than classic Mega Man) right down to gaining powers from defeating bosses. Even though the creator is only ripping off his own ideas, it still seems uncomfortably too similar. Like, the blonde girl character looks exactly like Roll and the robot dog looks exactly like Rush! It's like they haven't even made an attempt to disguise it or differentiate it from Mega Man. It seems like this could be a good thing or a very bad thing, I guess we'll find out which.

Luckily, at worst, we'll just get another Mega Man X game. The art is quite gorgeous, too.

Post edited by Sail on

Comments

• I backed for $99...XD
  • "You play as Beck, the 9th in a line of powerful robots, and the only one not infected by a mysterious computer virus that has caused mechanized creatures the world over to go berserk. "

That's literally the plot to Mega Man 1.
  • I don't give a fuck. Capcom won't make more Mega Man, so Inafune is just doing it himself.
    Reading through his notes, it just sounds like a better version of all the past Mega Man games. It'll probably be really good.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2013
    I don't give a fuck. Capcom won't make more Mega Man, so Inafune is just doing it himself.
    Reading through his notes, it just sounds like a better version of all the past Mega Man games. It'll probably be really good.
    Do you think Capcom will be assholes about this and try and shut it down due to them still being butthurt that their golden child left them...all those years ago? They've given plenty of other flimsy reasons for fucking Mega Man projects in the past.

Post edited by Geo on
  • I don't think they can do anything since no actual copyright is being broken. If they try to fight this they will just waste their money.

It's clear the property of Mega Man means very little to them, so I don't think they're willing to waste money on a lawsuit to stop someone from making the game they won't.
  • I think they would if they think there is money in it for them. And there is money in Mega Man. Hopefully Inafune's company has already scoped out the potential legal ramifications though.
  • There is money in Mega Man. But they've shown they're not pursuing that money. If they're going to sue him for using gameplay ideas (Which are not copyrighted nor unique to them), they're going to be wasting money. Even if they win, that successful lawsuit will not result in them making a Mega Man game. They'll continue to sit on their asses and be evil.
  • "You play as Beck, the 9th in a line of powerful robots, and the only one not infected by a mysterious computer virus that has caused mechanized creatures the world over to go berserk."

No, that's the plot to X. The original MM had 6 (or 8) robots hijacked by a mad scientist. No viruses involved.
  • No, it's the plot of Pluto.
  • Mega Man has plots?
  • Who the fuck cares! Have my moneys, give me robots!
  • Mega Man has plots?
    And I care about them more deeply than is normal for a human.
  • I wish the character were smaller on the screen, leaving more room for game elements—NES MM over SNES MMX.
  • "You play as Beck, the 9th in a line of powerful robots, and the only one not infected by a mysterious computer virus that has caused mechanized creatures the world over to go berserk."

No, that's the plot to X. The original MM had 6 (or 8) robots hijacked by a mad scientist. No viruses involved.
    Wily used a virus to take control of all the robots and make them go berzerk.
  • Well they're over $815,000 with the goal being $900,000 and there's still a month to go so unless Capcom pulls some legal bullshit its pretty safe to say that this is happening.
  • It just hit funding.
  • It just hit funding.
    I'm suprised that it took this long.
  • It took less than 2 days. Not fast enough? XD
    Plus, it's technically a holiday weekend in the US.
  • I'm joking. I do have a question though.

How big is Kickstarter in non-US countries, or is there a J-Kickstarter? I'm just wondering who is kicking harder.
  • I don't know. I don't think there are too many separate crowdfunding things outside the US. Don't know if they're international or not.
  • There are many Kickstarter-like crowdfunding things outside the U.S. Most are for single countries or regions, and most exist purely because Kickstarter isn't open to non-U.S. companies, or at least not easily enough or early enough.
  • Ohhh. Okay. This is why no one should listen to me about international affairs.
  • I am really excited about this. A few friends on Tumblr have been buzzing about it.
  • There are many Kickstarter-like crowdfunding things outside the U.S. Most are for single countries or regions, and most exist purely because Kickstarter isn't open to non-U.S. companies, or at least not easily enough or early enough.
    Yep - to get on Kickstarter as a non-US company, you need some way of having an American address and bank account as a bare minimum. They'll take our money just fine, but goddamned if they'll give it to us.
  • They'll take our money just fine, but goddamned if they'll give it to us.
    The American way.

• Just surpassed another stretch goal at 1,750,000. The next one is 2,200,000, and it's console release. I have high hopes, I'd love to play this on my Wii U.
  • edited September 2013
    Just surpassed another stretch goal at 1,750,000. The next one is 2,200,000, and it's console release.
    Why only current-gen, though? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to release it on next-gen? The projected release date is April 2015; I'm pretty sure PS3/360 would be collecting dust in gamers' closets by then.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I imagine they can't afford next-gen dev kits. Maybe they'll change it though.