This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Futurama is Back!

1234568»

Comments

• I have yet to laugh once this season so if anyone has failed to keep up there is likely no reason to watch the "final final episode".
  • Futurama should never have come back.

Any time anyone says Firefly should have come back, I will use Futurama as my example of why not.
  • I don't want Firefly back. Haven't for a while, PRIMARILY because of the movie. The movie ended any chance of the show being good if continued, because it was a good send-off. It concluded every notable plot I would've cared about. Just watching the rest of the characters flaunt about in space wouldn't do much for me.
  • I have to agree. I would love to see more but with the way the movie ended it really couldn't be the same. And making some sort of in between series just wouldn't work well either. I thought the movie was ok but I hated how they changed the whole thing with Biver's messed up mind, basically ignoring all the shit she went through and mostly blaming it on the terrible secret of space. I would love to see some other series set in the Firefly Universe, but they definitely shouldn't call it Firefly.
  • I don't want Firefly back. Haven't for a while, PRIMARILY because of the movie. The movie ended any chance of the show being good if continued, because it was a good send-off. It concluded every notable plot I would've cared about. Just watching the rest of the characters flaunt about in space wouldn't do much for me.
    It would also taint any return, because you know where everything is going, and where it ends up, and how the entire run ties up at the end. You don't get tension - because you know everyone survives right up until the movie, and the ship is still flying. You don't get any mystery about why river is crazy or how, because we know that. All the major stuff we wanted to know was answered, so there's no point in the series hinting at and building up questions that we already have answers to.

• edited September 2013
    Yea, Hopefully they never do anything with Star Trek after that 60's series. Or Dr. Who it just wouldn't be the same. Or Battlestar Galacatica because Cowboy cylons and super powered kids are the bomb.

Why do more Sherlock, I mean we've already had a billions series of that.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Futurama is officially dead to me. Attack on Titan get in my eyes already!
  • Cremlian - all those shows were either rebooted completely or had spinoffs created where original cast members made rare guest appearances. A new show could be set in the Firefly 'Verse but the story of Mal and crew has pretty much been told.
  • edited September 2013
    Yea, Hopefully they never do anything with Star Trek after that 60's series. Or Dr. Who it just wouldn't be the same. Or Battlestar Galacatica because Cowboy cylons and super powered kids are the bomb.

Why do more Sherlock, I mean we've already had a billions series of that.
    Okay, so let me get this straight, because you're asking for a bunch of different stuff here, and I need to figure out what you want. Do you want a new series in the same universe that follows almost entirely different people in a time period removed from the Serenity crew by long enough that things have substantially changed, and the originals only have cameos and show up as occasional plot points, like Star Trek?

Do you want a complete re-boot and re-write like the new BSG, where if you changed the visuals and the proper nouns, it would be practically unrecognizable to the original?

I suppose it's not Dissimilar to Dr who. I mean, we knew that all these characters died, eventually, somehow. I mean other than Wash, we know pretty specifically about him. Just like the doctor, whom we know dies eventually, it's just a matter of when and how, but I don't think they'll get 40 years out of it. Better special effects, though.

We'll ignore Sherlock/Elementary/almost every other modern Sherlock Holmes story, though - after all, nobody's proposing we do an updated remake of a remake of a remake.

Nah, taking the piss aside, in all seriousness, they're all very different situations. We're talking about a show that had at least two planned arcs(knowing Whedon, probably many more, but two that we know of for sure) had started laying them out all neat and nice, then was cut short, and had all the remaining plans and big answers condensed down and tied into a neat little bow by the movie. It was a capstone. It's like Star Trek: Nemesis - How many Star Trek Generations episodes have they made lately? How many episodes of BSG have come out since they tied it all up at the end? How many episodes or specials of Dr Who have tied every dangling plot thread together neatly and provided an end-point? How many new Holmes stories - I mean original style, not re-makes, re-imaginings, and the like - since "The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place"? *

You're right. We can have more Firefly. We can have prequels, remakes, side stories, short arcs stories, sequels, same-universe-different-character stories like the culture novels - but what we can't have(and probably shouldn't) is season two of Firefly.
    Post edited by Churba on
    It would also taint any return, because you know where everything is going, and where it ends up, and how the entire run ties up at the end. You don't get tension - because you know everyone survives right up until the movie, and the ship is still flying. You don't get any mystery about why river is crazy or how, because we know that. All the major stuff we wanted to know was answered, so there's no point in the series hinting at and building up questions that we already have answers to.

Yeah. Most people want a continuation of what happens afterward, but I think that's dumb and unnecessary.

• Yeah. Most people want a continuation of what happens afterward, but I think that's dumb and unnecessary.
    In the context of the characters perhaps, but the story of the Alliance's attempts to impose order on the verse and groups of enterprising renegades trying to take them down is still ripe for more exploration.
  • Yeah. Most people want a continuation of what happens afterward, but I think that's dumb and unnecessary.
    In the context of the characters perhaps, but the story of the Alliance's attempts to impose order on the verse and groups of enterprising renegades trying to take them down is still ripe for more exploration.
    Well, yeah, of course - but that's not a continuation of Firefly, that's a show in the Firefly universe. Basically that would be to firefly what, say, Star Trek Voyager is to the Original series or Generations.

• edited September 2013
    Indeed. What I'm saying is that I think the fans could be made happy* with a same universe spin-off with a few cameos.

I don't think that would work with Futurama though. That universe is so enmeshed with the characters that I cant imagine anything taking place there without them.

If by some chance there was a Futurama spinoff like say "The Real Life and Not at All Propaganda Adventures of Zapp Brannigan" or "Calculon's Variety Hour", would anyone here be interested in that?

*or at least some of the fans. Nothing is gonna make them all happy.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • RymRym
    edited September 2013
    I want no Futurama. It has been unwatchable since the restart. I can't trust that anything related to it will ever be good.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I want stuff in the Firefly universe, just like I want stuff in the Cowboy bebop universe.
  • just like I want stuff in the Cowboy bebop universe.
    Blasphemy! The characters is what made Bebop awesome. There isn't anything special about the Bebop universe.
  • To finish a thought from earlier - "How many new Holmes stories - I mean original style, not re-makes, re-imaginings, and the like - since "The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place"? *"

That asterisk was there for a purpose, and it was this:

*- the answer is one. And it was okay, but not really up to par.
  • I want no Futurama. It has been unwatchable since the restart. I can't trust that anything related to it will ever be good.
  • Futurama should never have come back.

Any time anyone says Firefly should have come back, I will use Futurama as my example of why not.
    I don't really see the issue, honestly. Yes, when an old series gets taken up again it generally won't be as good as the original, but you don't have to watch it if that happens to be the case.
  • Futurama has never been spectacular, honestly.
  • edited September 2013
    Steve, what those original characters, the tired old veteran, the bad boy turned good with a mysterious past, the young hacker and the chick who looks hot and gets into trouble and isn't trustworthy, those characters are truly unique :-p. I say it was the writing, atmosphere, world building and music that make cowboy bebop great. The characters are nothing special really.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Ending Episode.

Fry Loves Leela. Throughout Eternity. They Get Married.

Like we didn't know that already.