This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Disney's Aladdin

edited September 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, despite having not seen it in over a decade, we review Disney's Aladdin. In the news, Miyazaki is (actually) retiring, and every one of you should read Trillium. We also discuss the rumors that Anno could get to try his hand at Nausicaä (and how that would be HUGE for the anime industry), as well as how Attack on titan appears to be causing a resurgence in anime watching among previously "lapsed" anime fans.

Protip: If you need something to watch while you wait for season two of Attack on Titan, and need that cliffhanger fix, try (in this order) Madoka Magica, Vision of Escaflowne, Giant Robo.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• The merchant at the beginning of Aladdin was also voiced by Robin Williams. You can tell
  • Season two of Attack on Titan? When did season one end?
  • It's not over yet, but in a couple of weeks it will be.
  • I can feel at least 2 more seasons coming
  • Obligatory Aladdin fan theory

Aladdin was set in the FUTURE!
  • edited September 2013
    I'm okay with that bike story.

I've seen fixie people with solid tires that dont have brakes and will just stop their tire from moving so it skids on the road to a halt.

Also fuck the SNES Aladdin game. I couldn't ever get past the carpet flying out of the Cave of Wonders level.
    Post edited by MATATAT on

• Also fuck the SNES Aladdin game. I couldn't ever get past the carpet flying out of the Cave of Wonders level.
    I couldn't ether

• Also fuck the SNES Aladdin game. I couldn't ever get past the carpet flying out of the Cave of Wonders level.
    I couldn't ether
    IIRC, the Genesis implementations were better.

• I own the Aladdin SNES game. Beat that shit.
  • I haven't played it since single digit age. I always rented it from blockbuster, then got to that part.
  • It was one of the few games I didn't rent.
  • Cheat code for Aladdin to skip to the next level: ABBAABBA

That's from memory, from sooooo many years ago.
  • Yup!

Level skip:
    Pause game play and press A, B(2), A(2), B(2), A. A sound will confirm correct code entry.

It's amazing what your brain retains for 18 years or so, without any reason to keep it in. I only ever played the game for one afternoon too.
  • 1) The best Disney songs from 1992 were definitely from Newsies

2) There was a villain in The Little Mermaid. Her name was Ursula.

*drops mic*
  • edited September 2013
    Cool they have those stupid bike guys all over the world.

The movie theatre domination by Disney's animated films was worldwide. I remember them always being sold out on opening weekends.

My brother and I played the crap out of the Megadrive (Genesis) version of the Aladdin game. Plus it was the only Disney sound track we bought and for some reason we had the whole movie dialogue committed to memory from having watched it so much.

I like how I found out later in high school that Iago was named after the villain in "Othello".

I haven't watched a hand drawn Disney movie in a long time I'm going to see if I can get Lion King and Aladdin (so much nostalgia).

Hopefully they hold up.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Aladdin doesn't. It feels really dated both in terms of outlook and cultural references. The monkey is still funny (until he becomes an elephant) and it still looks pretty.
  • edited September 2013
    I think that the genie is the most honest wish-granting character around. Pretty much all other wish fiction screws you with ironic consequences. The genie has his agenda, he's a good guy and it would be easy to creatively misinterpret Jafar's wishes. So we've got to conclude that wish twisting is off the cards for him.

But in the sequel where Jafar is a genie he's all over that shit. He send his stooge to the bottom of the ocean when he asks for treasure because that's where the treasure is.

Does anyone else remember how everyone said the CG carpet animation was super innovative at the time?
    Post edited by Totally Guy on
  • To paraphrase a friend of mine "Newsies has baby Christian Bale!"
  • I rewatched Aladdin recently and still enjoyed it - I also rewatched Beauty and the Beast, which I enjoy more now that I'm old enough to actually understand what is happening outside of the musical numbers ;]

Speaking of, I'll just leave this here:
  • I remember on a trip to Virginia we watch the Aladdin trilogy of films in the car on vhs on the way there...3 times. I also remember the magic carpet VR ride that they had in Epcot in where you flew around the city trying to go and catch a thief.
  • Coldguy: Sounds like you had a magic car trip.
  • I remember on a trip to Virginia we watch the Aladdin trilogy of films in the car on vhs on the way there...3 times. I also remember the magic carpet VR ride that they had in Epcot in where you flew around the city trying to go and catch a thief.
    Oh fuck, I remember trying that out when I was 9-10 years old and obsessed with VR. I was not disappointed. They eventually put an updated version of it in DisneyQuest.
  • Intensive Gaston Unit
    Some time ago, I had just watched Gaston's song on youtube, and one of the suggested videos was "Intensive Gaston Unit." I click on it, and it is pretty weird, but everyone seems to be talking about the original it was based on, "Intensive Care Unit" by Renard. While the song is cool, dangerously furry territory ahead.