This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Look at me, I'm playing video games.

edited September 2013 in Video Games
As there are some people on this forum who occasionally stream games I though about making one thread where people can beg for attention so it wouldn't need to be spread in different threads among other discussions.

And to kick the thread off to a start I decided to steal Scotts job and stream old classic. The first Castlevania. Probably and likely won't be playing it all the way through, but I'll jump and whip things for a while.
In Twitch.

Comments

• You should pick a game that isn't ridiculously hard.
  • I wouldn't mind watching Scott to a best time run for Mega Man 2.
  • You should pick a game that isn't ridiculously hard.
    I wanted to play something that's easy to pick up and something familiar for me, even if it was hard. Mega Man 2 would probably been optimal for me, but you already played that a while ago, so didn't want to be exact copy.

• edited September 2013
    You should pick a game that isn't ridiculously hard.
    I wanted to play something that's easy to pick up and something familiar for me, even if it was hard. Mega Man 2 would probably been optimal for me, but you already played that a while ago, so didn't want to be exact copy.

Go to twitch right now and search for the latest AAA title. There will be over 30 going on at any moment, I think you will be okay.

Also I manage to get OBS working so I might do some on the "games I play each year to make sure my stick is sharp."
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • What have people been using to stream?
  • What have people been using to stream?
    I used Open Broadcaster Software. It worked, although I can't really say anything about the quality.

• OBS is going to be king, the sole purpose of it existing was due to the former king screwing up their software to the point that you need to reconfigure everything once a patch was applied (in which was automatically loaded from the cloud, required an always online connection and didn't do much.)
  • Earlier in the year I tried the combination of estranged programs that Dave uses to stream games and it didn't work too well. I couldn't tell if it was my network speed, processing speed, or gpu speed. Perhaps a little of both. Might work a little bit better with my new card but my network speeds are sorta trash. Hopefully they get this gigabit internets installed soon so I can throw money at it.
  • I use the elgato Game Capture HD I just bought, or XSplit.
  • edited September 2013
    XSplit was good until they screwed it up, its ok but prone to serious wtfuckery if you use it frequently. Hence why most people use OBS now, there are others that can work but not for the specialty things for gaming.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • XSplit was good until they screwed it up, it ok but prone to serious wtfuckery if you use it frequently. Hence why most people use OBS now, there are others that can work but not for the specialty things for gaming.
    Works for me.

• I might give OBS a try this weekend.
  • I prefer OBS over XSplit because of the difference in price.
  • I pirated XSplit, but I actually used it for streaming movies on Skype and saving a live broadcast to my hard drive.
  • Since I'm home sick, it's time for. DYNAMITE HEADDY!!!

• I too have a streaming channel come and chat www.twitch.tv/coldguy
  • I will chat as I am all alone in a hotel.
  • So I manage to beat Super Metroid last night with a 75% secret completion rating clocking just under 4 hours.

The stick was sharpened and archived.
  • So I manage to beat Super Metroid last night with a 75% secret completion rating clocking just under 4 hours.

The stick was sharpened and archived.
    Mine was 65% in 5 hours.
  • I may have missed the convo on this already, but what are your preferred solutions for streaming? I'm holding a 25-hour Extra Life marathon in a month and would like to stream some. I don't mind dropping a little money to buy something. Would even consider going deluxe if I could stream my HTPC plus two webcams simultaneously, and manage the feed (little picture-in-picture action).

Having not done this before, I'd probably just set up 3 computers in a Google Hangout on Air. While that would technically work, it's not ideal. Plus, if I went that route I'd want to use Glass, which is not currently compatible with Hangouts On Air, and would be a disappointment.
  • I may have missed the convo on this already, but what are your preferred solutions for streaming? I'm holding a 25-hour Extra Life marathon in a month and would like to stream some. I don't mind dropping a little money to buy something. Would even consider going deluxe if I could stream my HTPC plus two webcams simultaneously, and manage the feed (little picture-in-picture action).

Having not done this before, I'd probably just set up 3 computers in a Google Hangout on Air. While that would technically work, it's not ideal. Plus, if I went that route I'd want to use Glass, which is not currently compatible with Hangouts On Air, and would be a disappointment.
    That's basically been the entire convo so far haha. tl;dr is a lot of people using OBS, Scott uses elgato and XSplit. From what I can tell if you want some serious quality and the ability to stream from other stuff you'll need a dongle, otherwise you can probably get away with just using something like OBS.
  • I use OBS, it's the most lightweight solution and just works out of the box without having to fuddle with too many settings.
  • When you use OBS, do you typically use Window, Game or Monitor as source? I messed around with it a bit and I kept getting black screens in Game / partial black screens in Window in the stream and preview.
  • When you use OBS, do you typically use Window, Game or Monitor as source? I messed around with it a bit and I kept getting black screens in Game / partial black screens in Window in the stream and preview.
    I use window personally but you can do it from source and work properly.
  • I always go full screen.

The one issue I have is that my monitors are 1920x1200. I want to play the game at 1920x1200. However, the video stream can be at most 1920x1080. So I end up setting games to run at 1080p, and then stream them full screen. I'm just not getting use out of my entire monitor.

I know there's no solution for this. Just annoying.
  • Because it's on sale in Steam and sequel was just announced and because I just feel like playing it, I decided to spend part of my Friday evening streaming a bit of beginning of La-Mulana. Not sure how much of it I play or how long, but probably enough for potentially curious people to get a look of what kind of game it is.
    Link
  • @Apreche Ustream do live scaling I think. So you broadcast at whatever resolution you want.
  • @Apreche Ustream do live scaling I think. So you broadcast at whatever resolution you want.
    If I scale, won't it look like shit?
  • edited September 2013
    You don't do the scaling, You stream at your resolution (woteva that might be), then Ustream will scale the video to fit the 16:9 ratio live. Viewers can pick the resolution they want to view it at.

I think it may give your stream black borders, but I guess it may be a solution. If I'm correct that they provide that service.

For someone else to view your native resolution anyway, they would need the same resolution screen anyway.

At least you'll be playing at your desired resolution. Everyone else will just be watching with some black borders.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • You don't do the scaling, You stream at your resolution (woteva that might be), then Ustream will scale the video to fit the 16:9 ratio live. Viewers can pick the resolution they want to view it at.

I think it may give your stream black borders, but I guess it may be a solution. If I'm correct that they provide that service.
    Who wants to watch 16:10 video, though?