This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Torchbearer

edited July 2013 in Role Playing Games
The PDF went out yesterday for backers and is available for purchase on the BWHQ store. Anyone get a chance to read through it yet?
Post edited by Andrew on

Comments

• I have it. Have not read yet.
  • I have it. Have not read yet.
    Ditto. Had a busy weekend. Will read ASAP. Pants-changing imminent.

• Luke needs to write an intro adventure. Too much stuff to process!
  • I believe there is one near the back of the book with pre-gen characters. Although from my brief skim of it, it seemed a bit more involved than something like The Sword.
  • I wonder if I should read Moldvay Basic D&D before this or after this.
  • I am SOO running some of this shit at MAGFest.
  • I think this is the most challenging to read of the BWHQ stuff so far. I'm trying particularly hard not to assume it's the same as Mouse Guard or Burning Wheel but I also want the benefits of already knowing those games.

I fear it'll be like when someone reads Small World and assumes a rule from Vinci is there because the game didn't explicitly say "forests don't do anything".
  • I think this is the most challenging to read of the BWHQ stuff so far. I'm trying particularly hard not to assume it's the same as Mouse Guard or Burning Wheel but I also want the benefits of already knowing those games.

I fear it'll be like when someone reads Small World and assumes a rule from Vinci is there because the game didn't explicitly say "forests don't do anything".
    This is the most correct statement I've read today.

Enjoying the read so far. Definitely picking it over very carefully while trying not to assume anything. Excitement continues to grow. Still not king.

• It's so hard to read this without getting distracted by all the stuff I want to create with it. I keep jotting ideas down separately and losing my place! It's a thrill.

I came so late to the BWHQ party - it's exciting to be learning this alongside most everyone else.
  • So yeah, my friends and I are going to make a podcast.
  • I seethe with anticipation.
  • Work in progress world map
  • Finished reading it. Like other BWHQ games, I need to reread it to get it cemented, but it looks very interesting. I'm on a retro D&D kick lately.
  • I got my book yesterday! It's awesome.
    Still waiting...
    I think you mean "perfect." Dat nostalgia!
  • Yes, it has arrived and it's impeccable printing. They went all out.

I'm missing out on the nostalgia element, though, as I never played any of the D&D's or anything... Does Torchbearer really evoke (or invoke?) those books in terms of book design? Is it just the cover art, the size of the book, the style? I'm curious to hear.

I'm missing out on the nostalgia element, though, as I never played any of the D&D's or anything... Does Torchbearer really evoke (or invoke?) those books in terms of book design? Is it just the cover art, the size of the book, the style? I'm curious to hear.
    You tell me.

• Oh God that T-shirt.
  • Oh God that T-shirt.
    The only one that even compares to three wolf moon.
  • My copy of Torchbearer is waiting for me at Burning Con.

My BW group wants to check out Torchbearer, so I'll be running it for them soon! We just made a map and did character creation. I'm going to use the adventure from the book. I'll report back on how it goes.
  • edited October 2013
    This shirt paired with tear away pants. And you are ready for some serious table top gaming.

Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited October 2013
    Oh God that T-shirt.
    I never really understood all the ridicule of the 3 wolf moon shirt, honestly. That dragon shirt was the ticket to Coolsville among the nerds in my high school, man. Those of us who didn't have one were so freaking envious.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Oh God that T-shirt.
    I never really understood all the ridicule of the 3 wolf moon shirt, honestly. That dragon shirt was the ticket to Coolsville among the nerds in my high school, man. Those of us who didn't have one were so freaking envious.
    Almost anyone who wears that shirt is "that guy."
  • Maybe now, I dunno. Of the 5 or 6 guys from my high school that I can remember having that dragon shirt, only 1 of them was really "that guy".

Maybe it's true of the wolf shirt I guess.
  • Well, it's true today. If I had the shirt in middle school, it would have been fine, but definitely not extra cool.
  • Indeed. At least if "that guy" wears that shirt you can see them coming a mile away.
  • Indeed. At least if "that guy" wears that shirt you can see them coming a mile away.
    Flaming pits on the shirt and under...

You know what really makes the connection there is the binding/size of the Torchbearer book compared to that AD&D book. Of course the art and style as well and it being fantasy, but I mean just in terms of the the way it's bound I'm sure triggers some nostalgia for folks who jammed on D&D back in the days.

I was going to ask what that last image was and just searched D&D cartoon... not it. I'm sure you know what came up. Definitely something else. Finally came around to Lodoss War. Now I get it. Pretty apt.
  • The only thing that would make that better is if it had buttons and a collar and was some sort of glossy fabric.

It's not just the cover art - it's a combination of font and layout. It perfectly mimics the old-school D&D books.