This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Government Shutdown

edited October 2013 in Politics
So, uh...

Steal stuff, I guess. And traffic drugs. And ignore the speed limit. Go ahead. Have fun!
Post edited by Daikun on

Comments

• I say we all protest by not wearing any pants.
  • And if they argue with you, tell them their sign says "No shirt, no shoes, no service."
  • And if they argue with you, tell them their sign says "No shirt, no shoes, no service."
    You know, that's always bothered me. You'd think they would have changed it by now.

• edited October 2013
    Reminds of that movie I didn't see, "The Purge: One night a year, all crime is legal." Government is shut down, lets go riot and plunder! Or just do what you normally would.
    Post edited by Fundefined on
  • I wonder how this would affect other countries. Britain for instance wouldn't really care, there would be large amounts of grumbling but then we'd bring back the baronial system and carry on. It will be interesting to see the "public" opinion of this if it goes on.
  • edited October 2013
    Reminds of that movie I didn't see, "The Purge: One night a year, all crime is legal." Government is shut down, lets go riot and plunder! Or just do what you normally would.
    I saw it a while back. I liked the premise more than the film itself. The actual story is mostly just a home intruder movie. I would have liked to see more about their corrupt government and conspiracies about what the purge is really about, but hopefully the sequel will do that.

I did see something on tumblr of a bunch of tweets saying "OMG its just like the purge, lets go riot!" Hopefully they were joking and realize that it means that the Government is just getting even less shit done rather than there not being one at all.

Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Slight flaw in that aren't the police still on the clock?
  • edited October 2013
    Bars in Minnesota are offering free beer during the shutdown.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Crosspost from the TotD thread, but here's a helpful status page detailing which departments are operational, as well as current news updates as the shutdown progresses.

Well, damn.
  • That site is genius.
  • edited October 2013
    The one I was most concerned about.

God bless 'Murrika.

Post edited by Daikun on
  • It's become clear that the House GOP's plan is to stall until the debt ceiling comes up in a few weeks. Their whole plan rests on the assumption that Dems and Obama will cave in the end. I guess we'll see.
  • Actually, both sides have already brought it up. Looks like the next two weeks are gonna be fu~n.
  • So wait, they're keeping the digital anti-piracy people working, but I could go raid a container ship and they won't try and stop me?

Let me go grab my eye patch and skull and crossbones.
  • "We're not going to be disrespected, We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."- Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-IN)
  • "We're not going to be disrespected, We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."- Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-IN)
    What a nice summation of the GOP position. "Pay attention to us. We're throwing a tantrum here."

The way to deal with this is the same way you deal with a 3 year old doing the same thing.
  • noaa.gov is shut down, but weather.gov is not. They are basically the same site.
  • My gubment job not affected unless this runs through Nov 30th, although many co-workers are out. I have, however, shifted my retirement funds to the lowest-possible risk options as of this morning. I usually don't ever fiddle with them, and the markets seemed to have priced in some of this drama in anticipation, but there's no way this shit is going to end well, especially with debt ceiling (a hilarious imaginary crisis) coming up.
  • Oh shit. I didn't even think about that. I'll have to check out my TSP and possible relocate my funds.
  • Also health coverage; depending on how long this goes, we might not be covered.
  • So... Why are some websites shutdown with landing pages? Are the buildings shutdown too? Big empty govt buildings with the utilities cut?

I think the websites being down is like a temper tantrum. I don't expect anyone to respond on the websites but static content should still be up.
  • Question: Who decides what is and isn't "essential"? I asked my AP Gov teacher, and she said the President, but that doesn't make sense. Anyone have a good answer?
  • edited October 2013
    Also health coverage; depending on how long this goes, we might not be covered.
    Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
    Question: Who decides what is and isn't "essential"? I asked my AP Gov teacher, and she said the President, but that doesn't make sense. Anyone have a good answer?
    We were told CBO. I'll ask again when I get to work.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I thought department heads for each agency decided which jobs were essential?
  • I will leave my 401k as is. If the economy goes way down, great! I'll just increase how much I put in and get more shares. Buy low, buy low!
  • Also health coverage; depending on how long this goes, we might not be covered.
    Where are you getting this information? I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
    It's something I didn't think about until someone I work with brought it up; we both work for the government in a "necessary" position. Mutual commiserating over the situation led to a bunch of random thoughts and questions about how it's going to screw us over, and this was one he thought of. Granted, I don't think so, but it's something I want to make sure I do know when I go back in on Friday.
  • So... What is the viewpoint among 'essential' employees regarding 'non-essential' employees getting paid for time off on their return?
  • @Banta, that's what I thought. I know that there is funding for the open enrollment and pretty sure there will be for coverage under ACA in 2014.
    So... What is the viewpoint among 'essential' employees regarding 'non-essential' employees getting paid for time off on their return?
    Ok. First off, no one knows if 'non-essential'/furloughed employees are even going to get reimbursed for not working since Tuesday. That's what Congress decides. Back during the 1995-1996 shut down, Congress eventually did authorize back pay for those who were affected.

So until Congress does something, shit is up in the air. In all honesty, it's all up in the air on if they will follow suit. I know a few people at my job that are affected. It sucks, but it's a small minority.