This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Government Shutdowns

edited October 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the ongoing US government shutdown, quote some Abraham Lincoln, and recall airline food. Rym reviews the movies he watched recently while flying (Phone Booth, The Last Castle, and No Country for Old Men). For what it's worth, Last Castle is basically a mishmash of Cool Hand Luke, Dead Poets Society, and The Shawshank Redemption.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I've been trying to remember the name of Last Castle all day. Thanks Rym.

• What does the fox say?

What the fox says: origin story

Awesome and awesomer.
  • Movie Rym couldn't remember: Nick of Time with Captain Jack Sparrow.
  • Movie Rym couldn't remember: Nick of Time with Captain Jack Sparrow.
    That's the one!
  • edited October 2013
    No comedy will ever be a "great" movie purely based on strength of its comedy. You could base it on standards of comedy (e.g. comic triples etc.) and how the movie plays on those standards but there's a lot of comedy that doesn't follow those standards. Whatever I find funny there are many people who don't find it funny and saying a movie sucks because you don't personally find it funny is dumb.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Dual Photography
    How in the fuck.

http://www.4ddynamics.com/3d-scanners/

Still don't understand why you don't just replace the projector with another camera. As long as you know the distance and angle between the two cameras, you can model a 3D object.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogrammetric
  • I actually thought the reading of the card part was the least impressive bit of the video, and also the part that explained the rest of the video the best. They should have put that bit at the start!

Nick of Time is not a good movie. I've not seen Phone Booth.
  • So "What does the Fox say" is in the charts in the UK, I have no idea what has happened to our once great country...
  • Dude we had the Crazy Frog in our charts, our music appreciation died years ago.
  • Ohmigod, I was in France when he was the shit and it was the most annoying thing. I was only 10 or so but even I thought it was intolerable.
  • edited October 2013
    Still don't understand why you don't just replace the projector with another camera. As long as you know the distance and angle between the two cameras, you can model a 3D object.
    But not any 3D object and once captured it takes a lot of processing power if you want to make changes to the lighting conditions (not to speak of potentially large amounts of manual labor for additional measurements of the reflective properties of various materials in the scene.

The main point of this technique is that it allows for arbitrary changes in lighting after the fact with 100% fidelity. That is something a director would give their right arm for. Notice however that it taes a long time to capture a given scene, and I think the main "meat" of this publication is to demomstrate a neat algortihmic way of speeding up the capture process.

Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Ohmigod, I was in France when he was the shit and it was the most annoying thing. I was only 10 or so but even I thought it was intolerable.
    There were fucking T shirts and everything. It got to the point that I locked a dude who used to do the impressions all the time in a cuboard for an hour till he agree to stop. It was everywhere, like a plauge. I still have nightmares about that shit.
  • I was just watching the Flyers - Red Wings game (yes, it's 3 AM here, what about it?) and they were playing "What does the fox say?" over the PA system at Joe Louis Arena.
  • The most profound line from No Country for Old Men "...I got here the same way the coin did".

Which begs the question: how many times do you have to flip a coin before it passes the Turing test?