This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Babylon 5

edited October 2013 in Anime
I have been watching this series as of late. I'm on the middle of season 3. Any other fans of this?

I HIGHLY recommend this series. 5 seasons of a space opera about war, politics, awesome episodes of social commentary, and hilarious characters as well.

Let just say this series gave me major feels as well. Season 2 is my favorite so far, but season 3 is where shit hits the fan. Every fan in the universe was hit with shit. It was incredible.

Comments

• Season 1 is seriously awful. Like SO bad. DS9 season 1 bad, only worse. POWER THROUGH. It is worth it.
  • Is that the one with Kevin Sorbo and the really pale chick?
  • Although the first series is an ordeal not to be repeated, the later seasons are highly entertaining. Would buy from again. A++.
  • edited October 2013
    I downloaded the first season, watched 3 episodes, gave up. Seriously, it is SO hard to look back on this venerable title withought comparing it to ALL the stuff that has then come out. It's premise did not grab me to be honest. Politics and aliens and whatever is nice, but it's been explored thoroughly since then.

Maybe I should just read up on the entire season 1, and then watch season 2. If someone here can summarize it in one short paragraph, even better.

Also, I have actually never been a big fan of: Aliens who are really just humans with stuff on their faces. It happened with Star Trek for me when I first exposed myself to it, and Babylon 5 has the same issue, it sorta takes me out of it. I'm more a fan of the Mass Effect research and world building actually taken into account designing their body shape and design with accordance to their planet and culture etc.
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • I _love_ this series. I re-watch it every other year or so? It has it's issues, 1st season is nothing but set-up and because of the threat of cancellation caused the 4th season to include a ton of stuff that was supposed to wrap up in the 5th season which causes the 5th season to be pretty slow and lame. But overall some of the best scifi on aired on TV.

It also proved that you could have a show that was conceived with a full story line from the start and you really couldn't miss any eps of and the public wouldn't freak out about it. So much good stuff has come from that!
  • Maybe I should just read up on the entire season 1, and then watch season 2. If someone here can summarize it in one short paragraph, even better.
    You'd miss a lot of the nuance and petty bickering that build up over the episodes that push the major conflicts later. Londo and G'Kar constantly digging at each other really fuels what happens in the later seasons. The first season is 100% set up for the rest of the series.
  • Is that the one with Kevin Sorbo and the really pale chick?
    You are thinking of Andromeda which I watched as a kid but never really got into. I tried getting into Bablyon 5 but had the same problem of season 1 being so forgettable. Considering, I still haven't watching BSG and haven't finished Breaking Bad, watching Bablyon 5 is low on my list.

I think I'd like it since I enjoyed DS9 but man do the effects look horribly dated. DS9's models sort of look fine but Bablyon 5's 90s CGI is pretty painful to watch.
  • It's still pretty impressive for being done on an Amiga in the early to mid 90s.
  • Like many things in the visual media from times gone by it does look dated, but it also has a certain charm to it.
  • Season 1 is seriously awful. Like SO bad. DS9 season 1 bad, only worse. POWER THROUGH. It is worth it.
    Season one wasn't that bad. Just in comparison to the later seasons it's so-so.
  • Season 5 doesn't exist.

Took me about 75% of season 1 to get into the show. 2 - 4 were great.
  • Babylon 5 is the greatest show to grace television... if you only watch:

S1E1: Midnight on the Firing Line
    S1E13: Signs and Portents
    S1E20: Babylon Squared
    S1E22: Chrysalis
    All of Season 2
    All of Season 3, except S3E19: Grey 17 is Missing
    All of Season 4
    S5E12 to S5E22. Especially Sleeping in Light.
  • Babylon 5 is the greatest show to grace television
    That's not how you spell The West Wing.

• edited October 2013
    Babylon 5 is the greatest show to grace television
    Yes, and The West Wing could have only been better if they hadn't put Danny Concannon on a bus for half the show.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Babylon 5 is the greatest show to grace television

There are too many "W" words there, when what you really mean is The Wire.

• Why is there discussion of best Television and it's not a discussion about Rocko's Modern Life?
  • edited October 2013
    Babylon 5 is cool and all...but it ain't got shit on the best Sci-Fi show ever made. Space Above and Beyond. This show was way ahead of it's time and it's a damn shame it was cancelled after only one season.
    Post edited by Andrew on