This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

Comments

• Secret treasure room.
    SWEET
  • Secret treasure room.
    SWEET
    Room Number 8, other secret treasure room.
  • Secret treasure room.
    SWEET
    Room Number 8, other secret treasure room.
  • Yeah, so the random generation currently is pretty dumb in that it cuts our randomly sized rectangles around the map. The room detection algorithm is then run to identify contiguous free space. The next step is to connect the rooms via tunnels and secret passages.
  • Tunnels! (Although it's still a bit buggy and not quite correct)
  • Nice walls!
  • Doors! Changed the wall smoothing function so that the tiles vertical of the doors don't show the brick pattern.
  • Oh hey, OpenGL shaders could be cool...
  • Change the dude so he's holding a torch, and if the torch goes out...
  • That looks great Andrew. Every subsequent screenshot shows really good progress.
  • Thanks Muppet!

Yeah, I think some really interesting mechanics can be utilized with a lighting system. Torches, spells, and other lighting effects could have really cool effects but also could lead into some sort of stealth system.
  • While the shaders work well for the lighting effects, I still needed to implement proper field of view calculations. Instead of using traditional grid based approaches favored by most roguelikes, I'm going to be using a vector based solution presented by the developer of Monoco. Tonight I implemented the first step of the algorithm by collecting the list of all edges that are facing the player's position. That is, all edges which could possibly be illuminated before calculating occlusions.

I also implemented a better debug system so I can quickly switch between debug and full effects mode.
  • I've never even attempted a GUI like this. Is this mostly libraries.. or what?
  • I'm using Love2D for the basic rendering, but everything else is being written from scratch.
  • Working on the FOV algorithm, but I'm stuck. Here is a WIP shot
  • You seem to have problems with sightlines going through walls.
  • edited October 2013
    I like it!

Wait, no, I don't understand this at all.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • You seem to have problems with sightlines going through walls.
    That's a bit by design at this point. However, I realized yesterday that my projection of the lines are not quite correct. Combine this with proper line intersection and I should almost be finished. Just need to find the time to implement it however.
  • I'm making a forum with the Dropbox API because yolo.
  • edited October 2013
    Still working on Field of View. Not much done tonight, but I implemented sorting of the edges based upon distance from the player. The debug is displayed below where the edges are colored from red to white based upon their distance from the player. I also implemented a line intersection function, although it's not currently integrated. Should finish this component up in the next session or two depending on how much time I get.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Change the dude so he's holding a torch, and if the torch goes out...
  • It would be awesome to do something similar with sound. Have certain things make noises, and calculate how far away it is, how many corners the sound must go around, and the size of the space it is in. Then lower the level of that sound and add the right amount of reverb. Instant spooky sound scape!
  • Yeah, I was definitely thinking along those lines Luke. Like having a basic echo location system so the player could navigate without light.
  • Research related, but here is a partial reconstruction of the asteroid Vesta from only monocular camera images!
  • Andrew said:

Still working on Field of View. Not much done tonight, but I implemented sorting of the edges based upon distance from the player. The debug is displayed below where the edges are colored from red to white based upon their distance from the player. I also implemented a line intersection function, although it's not currently integrated. Should finish this component up in the next session or two depending on how much time I get.

Why aren't all the wall vertexes mapped to the character? Also is the point that it identifies intersections between vectors and the walls and should only shade to that edge? Seems like you could filter out any vectors that intercept an edge since the character wouldn't any of those vertexes. I've never tinkered with anything like this though so I'm just guessing what is happening.
  • I've been working on a fun project to put in results of three club combat tournaments and spit out points and rankings. The points and rankings are based on the ATP tennis system. The coding is really, really shit, and spits out super ugly pages, but the results are useful.

Here are the current rankings.

You can also see pages for individual players showing their results and rankings over time, pages for individual tournaments, and a big page showing all rankings since 2005.

The plan is to encourage more people to organize more Fight Night tournaments at more juggling conventions, and the points and rankings are to help with seeding players and seeing who is best over the course of a year (spoilers: Jochen is the best).
  • I learned Python has multiple inheritance. Today.

I've been Pythoning for... 4 years?
  • Starfox said:

I learned Python has multiple inheritance. Today.

I've been Pythoning for... 4 years?

What? This changes everything!
  • edited January 2014
    Do you guys know how to use list comprehensions? I didn't know about them until using Python for over a year.

even_numbers = [x for x in range(0,100) if x % 2 == 0]
    Post edited by Apreche on