This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Torchbearer

Comments

• From wiki:
    "a mad poet of Sanaá, in Yemen, who is said to have flourished during the period of the Ommiade caliphs, circa 700 A.D. He visited the ruins of Babylon and the subterranean secret of Memphis and spent ten years alone in the great southern desert of Arabia—the Roba El Khaliyeh or "Empty Space" of the ancients—and "Dahna" or "Crimson" desert of the modern Arabs, which is held to be inhabited by protective evil spirits and monsters of death. Of this desert many strange and unbelievable marvels are told by those who pretend to have penetrated it. In his last years Alhazred dwelt in Damascus."

Sounds like a desert-based Torchbearer game would be perfect. Delve the depths of ancient ruins, find horrors!
  • edited October 2013
    Will I be able to get the snazzy hardcover edition or was that a backer only item?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • From wiki:
    "a mad poet of Sanaá, in Yemen, who is said to have flourished during the period of the Ommiade caliphs, circa 700 A.D. He visited the ruins of Babylon and the subterranean secret of Memphis and spent ten years alone in the great southern desert of Arabia—the Roba El Khaliyeh or "Empty Space" of the ancients—and "Dahna" or "Crimson" desert of the modern Arabs, which is held to be inhabited by protective evil spirits and monsters of death. Of this desert many strange and unbelievable marvels are told by those who pretend to have penetrated it. In his last years Alhazred dwelt in Damascus."

Sounds like a desert-based Torchbearer game would be perfect. Delve the depths of ancient ruins, find horrors!
    The thing is in Torchbearer, nobody wants to go somewhere just for horrors alone. There have to be mad treasures.
  • Will o be able to get the snazzy hardcover edition or was that a backer only item?
    You will be able to get it soon enough.
  • The thing is in Torchbearer, nobody wants to go somewhere just for horrors alone. There have to be mad treasures.
    Did you miss the unbelievable marvels part? Of course there is stuff to get rich off of down there!
  • The thing is in Torchbearer, nobody wants to go somewhere just for horrors alone. There have to be mad treasures.
    Did you miss the unbelievable marvels part? Of course there is stuff to get rich off of down there!
    Oh, the marvels were "told", so I thought they were just things to see, not take.
  • I finally read the TB rules and it all looks like some incredibly cool shit to me!! I was also thinking the system would work incredibly well for a Call of Cthulhu game; conditions being sanity damage, adventure phase being an "investigation" phase, camping a "research" phase.
    Say no to hacks. Just play the game as written.

If you want to play Call of Cthulhu, there's a game for that. It's called Call of Cthulhu.
    You're not the boss of me and I will game however I want to!!!

But really I more so meant I feel like it's a better system for CoC than the classic system or the d20 system. I'm not actually going to play it that way ahah.
  • Almost any system is better than CoC or d20. Personally, I like Dread for that genre.
  • Yes I would agree with that assessment of CoC and d20! Never played Dread tho, but the concept sounds boss.
  • What came to mind for me was DayZ - analogs would be the inventory management and also the hungry&thirsty/sick/injured/dead conditions. Survival horror.
  • Inspectres is an excellent system that doesn't even require any changes to be used for Cthulhu.
  • I'll check that out after I'm finished with my Torchbearer Ghostbusters hack.
  • Inspectres is an excellent system that doesn't even require any changes to be used for Cthulhu.
    But it will be silly Cthulhu.
    But it will be silly Cthulhu.
    Doesn't have to be. I've run Inspectres games that started, and stayed, dark.

Stress is just losing sanity. Results are thematic and dark. The "franchise" is a branch of the university. It all works.
  • Yeah, avoiding silliness in InSpectres is just getting buy-in from the players that we want to play a serious game.
  • Jared actually wrote a Cthulhu supplement for InSpectres - look up UnSpeakable.
  • Playing a serious Inspectres is technically possible. Playing a serious Paranoia is also possible. The Paranoia book even has specific instructions for doing so.

Name one gaming group you know that has actually played a serious Paranoia.
  • Serious Paranoia would be gloriously unfun. From what I remember of it, Paranoia XP barely has mechanics for it.

I'm not sure what system I'd use for slow, brooding horror. I rarely do horror games.
  • Serious Paranoia would be gloriously unfun. From what I remember of it, Paranoia XP barely has mechanics for it.

I'm not sure what system I'd use for slow, brooding horror. I rarely do horror games.
    IIRC Paranoia XP has an entire chapter for it. I will check it when I get home. I think it would be incredibly superfun. Actually progress up from red. Learn all the mysteries of the ultraviolets.
  • Name one gaming group you know that has actually played a serious Paranoia.
    I'm sure I heard an old Luke Crane anecdote about how his group did just that.
  • Name one gaming group you know that has actually played a serious Paranoia.
    I'm sure I heard an old Luke Crane anecdote about how his group did just that.
    If my only geekery was tabletop RPGs, I would have done so by now as well.

• Hello hello! Just a quick note for you all: We'll have an update for you on Wednesday night containing three special treats for the holiday. And since we're winding down fulfillment, the book will be on sale for everyone on Thursday morning.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burningwheel/torchbearer/comments
  • Thor said that the Dread Crypt of Skogenby might also be included. I'm running Torchbearer at a con next Saturday, and it fit nicely into a 4-hour slot at Burning Con.
  • Torches here! Torches here! Only 3 gold and 5 silver each! Grab your torches here.

http://www.burningwheel.com/store/index.php/torchbearer.html
  • I don't suppose if you know that if the pdf was previously purchased a discount on the book might be applied?
  • I don't suppose if you know that if the pdf was previously purchased a discount on the book might be applied?

I highly doubt it.
  • edited October 2013
    Apreche said:

Torches here! Torches here! Only 3 gold and 5 silver each! Grab your torches here.

http://www.burningwheel.com/store/index.php/torchbearer.html

WOOOOOOOOOO

I'ma get one.

EDIT: Hmm... doesn't appear that I can purchase it. I can't get a quote on shipping to Seattle?
    DOUBLE EDIT: I think it's broken, it sorta works for New York but it still doesn't calculate shipping but it will apply tax. For everything it seems to say there's no shipping methods available.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Still waiting on my book...
  • I shall be ordering shortly. Then, I shall put my friends through the fucking meatgrinder.
  • Hey has anyone ever played/tried this solo dungeon making game: http://planet-thirteen.com/Dungeon.aspx ? I just saw it mentioned in the Torchbearer forums, seems like it would be perfect for TB dungeons since you create an entire ancient history for each dungeon. I bought the pdf cause it was only $5 but it apparently takes up to 24 hours to get sent to me via the tubes.