This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Well, I'm fucked...

edited October 2007 in News
Atlanta only has three months of water left. I wonder what it will be like to live without running water. Hopefully a hurricane or two will come through this season... Where is global warming when you need it?

Comments

• My town only has 37 days of water left. I'm stocking up now.
  • I didn't know things like that ever happened. I learned something new today. Why not just stay somewhere else for awhile?
  • edited October 2007
    It's not something one thinks about very much, but mankind just barely gets by in terms of water in many places. One earthquake doing any damage to the California Aquaduct, for example, and everyone in my half of the state is screwed.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This is a very rare instance where living in Cleveland is advantageous. Lake Erie is in no danger of drying up.
  • Are you serious? I never have worried about water (except when our water lines get broken and then contaminated).... There is no lack of water. Just random warnings and tellings of "boil before using". Huh...

Stocking is the good. The people in my house before us were doing that for the Y2K. We have tons of water downstairs, or we used to until my mom started using it to water the flowers instead... Those 4L jugs of milk are perfect, once washed out.
  • edited October 2007
    Slightly worryingly the south of england has water shortages which is a bit crazy seeing as we are a small island.
    There has been talk of large companies making water into a commodity in areas of the world which is somewhat worrying.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Mmmm. Yummy water, water, water... water everywhere. I just dumped a couple of gallons on the ground, flushed a non-low-flow toilet, did a load of laundry, left the garden hose running overnight, filled the pool, emptied the pool, filled the pool again, washed my car, emptied and filled the pool, let the sink drip. Mmmm! Glorious water.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! KNEEL AND CALL ME MASTER!
  • Tragic.
    Makes me want to take an hour-long shower.
  • We have a electric well for our water, none of that nasty city water.
  • If you check out these Pics of Lakes Lanier and Allatoona you'll see how bad it is. That's where Atlanta gets its drinking water. There's more water going out than coming in due to contracts Georgia has with Alabama and Florida. And despite the severity of the situation, the Army Corps of Engineers actually increased the water let out of the lakes. I guess people feel that the endangered mussels in Florida are more important than - you know - people.
  • I didn't know things like that ever happened. I learned something new today. Why not just stay somewhere else for awhile?
    Can't. I go to school at Georgia Tech, in the heart of Atlanta.
  • You'd better learn some super karate super fast, or you're going to be building a pyramid.
  • Have you tried turning the water off an back on? Is it plugged in?
  • Well I guess your lucky enough to get ample warning, saves any last minuet panic buying of water in the shops. Though I bet you see the price of bottled water going up slowly as it is.
    Another up side is that it will give you lots of time to perfect a nice rain dance. :)
    personal I use \o\ \o/ /o/ \o/ \o\ \o/ /o/ ....
  • Though I bet you see the price of bottled water going up slowly as it is.
    While you would think in a capitalist society that this kind of thing would be obvious, there are actually laws against this sort of thing. If there's some sort of shortage/emergency and you jack your prices way up, you will get busted.
  • Proper, and undetected, price gouging is an art of subtly and patience... Baby steps Bob, baby steps.
  • My water pressure is down due to the drought, and our well water is getting dangerously low.

i__i We need rain.
  • Yay! It started raining today! Maybe 39 more days and nights of this and we'll be able to wash our cars.
  • In Albion we have hose pipe bans in southern England some times. The strange thing is that it could be raining every now and again during the summer and the lakes are not always that low, The problem is the pipes from the lakes and in the city's haven't been repaired over the years and the water is simply seeping back into the ground.
  • I was reading something on line today where it said Gatorade is the biggest user of water in Atlanta. I immediately thought of Idiocracy.
  • I was reading something on line today where it said Gatorade is the biggest user of water in Atlanta. I immediately thought ofIdiocracy.
    I would of immediately thought of that scene in Waterboy.
  • Sorry to hear that. I sometimes forget that places do dry out, but I never thought it was that bad in other places. *Sends Washington rain your way* Can the government send any water to these areas? Or is that not cost effective?

Pacific NW FTW! =P For a second I almost started getting annoyed with the recent nonstop rain. I will hold my tongue for now. ^^;;
  • Though I bet you see the price of bottled water going up slowly as it is.
    While you would think in a capitalist society that this kind of thing would be obvious, there are actually laws against this sort of thing. If there's some sort of shortage/emergency and you jack your prices way up, you will get busted.

Like they'd do anything about it. Why did the government allow price increases for oil, natural gas & electricity when there were "gas shortages", or power shortages? Perhaps due to numerous politicians' interest in those businesses?
  • So I was just cleaning out my Nalgene in the sink, and I thought of the drought.

Then I thought of posting this.
  • Here is Northern Virginia everything was cool until a couple of months ago a lake started to dry. It looks like GMU is gonna lack a boating team in the near future. But then again we still have the Potomac :P