This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Enders Game - The Movie

edited May 2013 in Movies
It's happening! I still won't believe it until I see credits roll but it's coming! There is even a trailer!

I CANNOT WAIT, YOU GUYS!

Comments

• Ahhh I hope it's good. I wonder how much they'll downplay some of the more... "mature" themes and scenes from the book.
  • Either that or play to older audiences, because, you know, there's the whole
    genocide
    thing.
  • Probably all the way. I still don't care. It's about the Bugger War. I hope it makes a SHIT ton of money so it will force a "Speaker For The Dead" movie and I can nerd rage over that. =D
  • edited May 2013
    Either that or play to older audiences, because, you know, there's the whole
    genocide
    thing.

I think most people are ok with the idea of that if it's an us or them proposition, which I feel the book sets up quite nicely.

Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Card has been very cagey about giving anyone movie rights if they messed with his story much so hopefully he just didn't view it as a check finally after years of not being able to get a movie off the ground.
  • Card is also an openly homophobic, anti-gay religious quack. The moment I learned these things, I have never given him another dollar.

Even if the movie sucks, I'll have taking it out on Card in my back pocket.
  • I watched the trailer and realized that everything I thought I knew about Ender's Game was completely wrong. This looks like a neat movie, but I imagine that I should probably read the book first.
  • /ScottMode: Enabled

You should have read it years ago. The only reason to not have read it years ago is if you were not literate. If you were not literate years ago, you were not trying hard enough and not as awesome as me.

/ScottMode: Disabled
  • Eh, the only book of his I'm ever legitmately bought was Ender's Game. Though I greatly enjoyed his other books I listened to them on audiobooks somehow acquiring them.
  • Him being crazy isn't why he doesn't get my moeny. Crazy people need to pay rent too. The reason he doesn't get my money is because all of the books of his I own I got through used book stores.
  • edited May 2013
    Eh, the only book of his I'm ever legitmately bought was Ender's Game. Though I greatly enjoyed his other books I listened to them on audiobooks somehow acquiring them.
    I think Ender's Game is best as an audio book. The version I listened to was very well produced and had multiple actors/tresses.

I just hope they take it all the way to the end of the book, not just to the end of the war.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited May 2013
    That trailer pretty much explicitly tells you that they fucked up one of the main points of the whole novel. Endre's game needs a thriller / suspense movie treatmet not Battleship 2. For all I care that movie could be based on Galaga.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Orrr that's just how they cut the trailer to appeal to a mass audience.
  • Orrr that's just how they cut the trailer to appeal to a mass audience.
    I hope this desperately.
  • It looks pretty clear that most of the big special effect shots of the movie were from flashbacks of the first war.
  • As someone who only just read Ender's Game for the first time last year, I don't have a huge urge to see it in movie form.
  • I look forward to it, though I agree it definitely has some elements in the story that won't work when you can "see" what is going on around the character.
  • Fuck fathfulness, I'm just glad to see Ford actin' like a boss for he first time in years. I will watch this movie.
  • As someone who only just read Ender's Game for the first time last year, I don't have a huge urge to see it in movie form.
    As someone who read it for the first time five years ago (I was a weird 6th grader), I share the sentiment. I just want the story to reach a wider audience without being fucked up.
  • edited May 2013
    I expected the film to based around the original novelette rather than the full length novel. So far it looks like that will be the case.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • I feel the book is more introspective and internal dialogue-based such that it may not be very good as a movie. Also, they are using actors with the appropriate age. I am skeptical whether they can act well enough to pull it off.
  • I would have expected them to market more to a younger Harry Potter reader demographic.

Ford seems to just be doing his old man growl, but Kingsley as Mazer Rackham is interesting.
  • I'm split on it too. I read his book before knowing his politics and enjoyed it. I guess I believe art should usually be judged on its own merits. Art outlives its creators anyway.
  • edited May 2013
    I thought the book was fun and had some interesting ideas but was also limited in a few ways. Everything I've heard about this production makes it sound like they're leaving a lot of the more interesting stuff out.

I don't really care about the problems with Card, to be honest. Lots of great artists throughout history had some odious ideas. I've been watching Disney movies my whole life, for starters. Never bad to take the opportunity to call him out for it though.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • The trailer means they can do CG, but I still have no idea about the movie. I can't get excited for it. I'll wait for the first wave of reviews before deciding to hit the theater.
  • Just saw the movie, it was a serviceable adaption. I had fun, was entertained, slightly disappointed with some of what they cut or changed in minor ways but overall the arc of the books was intact. I wished the action scenes in the early games were more personal but once they get to command school you stop caring :-p
  • Indeed. I don't mind that they cut out Valentine's and Peter's play into the story, however I feel 10 minutes more into Battle School would have been nice. It could have shown how Ender was advancing more and more, the practice sessions, and all that stuff.

I feel it was rushed to show not as much character development of Ender and his relationships with the friends he made along the way. It would have also been nice to see how they were running him ragged in Command School.

I will say that final "graduation" battle was top notch.

I will say again I enjoy how they didn't white wash the damn thing. I wonder what scenes they cut from the movie.

Jeremy and I were wondering if they would make Harrison Ford fatter throughout the movie. Unfortunately they didn't.
  • I am still gonna make like Fry and demand the theater cashier take all my money.
  • It seemed to me that the creators of this film wanted to fit all of the interesting themes of the book into a film, but didn't have enough screen time to do so.
    I think that, to effect this goal, it was decided that plot would be the driving factor. As a result, any meaningful character or relationship development either didn't happen or was forced to some degree.

I'll admit that, given the time constraint, things could have been a lot worse.
    More than that the large number of child actors weren't entirely terrible and I wouldn't mind seeing more films with Butterfield in them.

That said, I would have gladly sat through a three or four hour version of this movie if it meant doing the source material a bit more justice.