This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX AUS 2014 OCT 30-NOV 1, 2014

Well it came out of no where but badges are now available. So who is making the trek across the pond this time around?

Comments

• I've already got my badge. I'll be going enforcer again, but as much as I trust in PAX, I like to have a backup plan. And you can't get much better than a backup plan with a refund policy.
  • I have my badge.
  • Churba said:

I've already got my badge. I'll be going enforcer again, but as much as I trust in PAX, I like to have a backup plan. And you can't get much better than a backup plan with a refund policy.

Just to be clear, everyone here on the USA side, make sure you are aware that your purchases are not refundable. Last year, my wife bought two PAX AUS passes w/o asking me first, b/c that's what we always do for PAX, and she thought (correctly) that is would be awesome to go in the miniscule chance that everything worked out to make that possible. It did not. I had even spoken with Heels about getting a refund, who actually did promise me that he could make it happen as an exception to the rule, and then proceeded to blow off the rest of my emails. Lost some money on that one.

• Matt said:

Churba said:

I've already got my badge. I'll be going enforcer again, but as much as I trust in PAX, I like to have a backup plan. And you can't get much better than a backup plan with a refund policy.

Just to be clear, everyone here on the USA side, make sure you are aware that your purchases are not refundable. Last year, my wife bought two PAX AUS passes w/o asking me first, b/c that's what we always do for PAX, and she thought (correctly) that is would be awesome to go in the miniscule chance that everything worked out to make that possible. It did not. I had even spoken with Heels about getting a refund, who actually did promise me that he could make it happen as an exception to the rule, and then proceeded to blow off the rest of my emails. Lost some money on that one.

You can't get a refund, but you can sell on the Internets. Y U NO?
  • edited November 2013
    I was told that you were not allowed to change the registration info for PAX AUS international purchases, and that they could only be picked up at will call by the original purchaser. I actually listed them for sale w/ an honor system "pay me only if you actually succeed in picking them up" stipulation and nobody was interested. I only attempted to do that sale pretty close to the show because I was told shortly after finding out about the purchase not to worry about it, and that they'd be refunded.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited November 2013
    Wow these are selling fast.

PAX Aus, Car registration and insurance plus RAC membership on the same day.

I'll have to hold off on the hotel and flights till later but check with your airlines, booking in advance and getting a hotel that is partnered with the airline is cheaper than the PAX discount as I found out in PAX Aus 2013.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • *3-Day International Badges: An allocation of badges has been set aside for international attendees. All badges need to be collected on site, presenting a copy of your passport, flight details and email confirmation of your badge purchase. International badges cannot be resold.

Yeah. International buyers beware.

• Matt said:

*3-Day International Badges: An allocation of badges has been set aside for international attendees. All badges need to be collected on site, presenting a copy of your passport, flight details and email confirmation of your badge purchase. International badges cannot be resold.

Its like they want to have the majority of the attendees be from Australia or something?
  • Coldguy said:

Matt said:

*3-Day International Badges: An allocation of badges has been set aside for international attendees. All badges need to be collected on site, presenting a copy of your passport, flight details and email confirmation of your badge purchase. International badges cannot be resold.

Its like they want to have the majority of the attendees be from Australia or something?
    I'd say less want than expect. There was no shortage of Americans last time, but that was the very first one, I suspect we'll see lower numbers of international visitors this year.
  • edited November 2013
    Solution: purchase tickets and send them to Churba's (or other Australian's) house. International pass crisis averted. They can be mailed off or picked up from said person and toss him $20 for the trouble. Better than losing out $150.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • It will never cease to amuse me that I'm the default Australian. But yeah, I'd be up for it.
  • I always forget who the others are. I know cheese is, but that's all that comes to me without thinking.
  • Truly, I am a member of a privileged class.
  • Churba said:

It will never cease to amuse me that I'm the default Australian. But yeah, I'd be up for it.

You should put that on your business card.
  • "The Internet's Australian"
  • MATATAT said:

"The Internet's Australian"

I would go with Senior Australian Resident
  • Once again, the concept of flying all the way around the world for a gaming convention seems less than fun.
  • Once again, the concept of flying all the way around the world for a gaming convention seems less than fun.

I mean, it's not like there's anyone here you can ask to see if that's really the case or anything.
  • edited November 2013
    3 day passes get. I enjoyed the convenience provided by the 3 day passes last time. Nothing felt rushed, and my crew could gallivant around the countryside as we wished.
    I only managed a brief catch up with lackofcheese, sKOpe, Churbs, et al last year and will definitely dedicate time to catching up with such grand people again! Looking forward to a solid meetup this year you lot.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • Casa Vino said:

Looking forward to a solid meetup this year you lot.

Same bat time, Same Bat-bar. I'll make sure to let you know what's going on.

• Surely Churba can't be a senior Australian Resident.

I plan on catching up more with you this time than I could last time, I just got caught up in entering all the competitive events.
  • sK0pe said:

Surely Churba can't be a senior Australian Resident.

You crazy kids, don't make me shake my cane at you.

I'm not sure when it happened, but sometime shortly after entering the real world, the prospect of super-long flights became incredibly appealing. Just you in the sky, with all the time in the world to catch up on books, DS games, and movies. Food delivered to your seat. It's like the polar opposite of normal daily life, where I am just racing around fulfilling responsibilities.

• I imagine that as a tall fellow, George has one of the problems I do with plane travel: the seats are made for half men, and therefore incredible uncomfortable.
  • Indeed. I look forward to seeing everyone again.
  • Had enough free time to look up potential hotels for PAX Aus.

I haven't had to stay in south Melbourne so I've just gone through most of the surrounding hotels. Since I'm back to student income I'm going to try to keep accommodation to less than $1000 or so.

Anyone stayed at these places, I'm assuming approximately the same level of service. I've personally stayed at Crowne Plaza before but I claimed it on tax that time.
    • Best Western Riverside Apartments - 800m to PAX ($849 / 4)
    • Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders - 700m to PAX ($900 / 4)
    • Great Southern Hotel Melbourne - 700m to PAX ($440 / 4)
    • Adina Apartment Hotel - 650m to PAX ($920 / 4)
    • Pensione Melbourne - 600m to PAX ($680 / 4)
    • Crowne Plaza - 400m to PAX ($1020 / 4)
    Looks like Pensione or Great Southern at the moment with just the PAX deals.
  • edited September 2014
    My hotel and my flights for PAX AUS are now completely sorted out. Is it time to start talking about any FRC happenings yet?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on