This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

LibreOffice or OpenOffice?

Does anyone have a preference for an MS Office alternative? I jumped to LibreOffice shortly after Oracle bought Sun Microsystems and enjoyed it for a few years, but then Oracle handed the OpenOffice code over to Apache in 2011.

Has anyone tried the Apache version of OpenOffice? Is it any better or worse than LO?

Comments

• How about iWork.

• I ain't got no Mac.
  • edited November 2013
    I often use OpenOffice if I don't have MS Office. LibreOffice seems good too but honestly as long as it gets the job done I don't care. It's usually just easier to use MS Office if you can because most other people are also using it, especially in a business setting. I've had some issues with both the open source options as far as formatting. Nothing too major but it just makes things easier.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Office is fucking cheap now. You can get a 4 year subscription to office 2013 and 365 for only $80. You can get 2013 Home and Student edition for like $100. For the price of taking a date out on a night on the town, you're set.
  • Nano. Maybe Abiword. If I'm feeling fancy, LaTeX.
    Okay, maybe I install LibreOffice sometimes.
  • edited November 2013
    Lt. Chibi said:

Nano. Maybe Abiword. If I'm feeling fancy, LaTeX.

AbiWord is fucking terrible. It can barely render images if you're lucky and the formatting is always wrong.

(I've tried to use this thing in college and I've had bad experience with it. I nearly failed a test because I couldn't see all the images the professor had inserted in his Word document.)

Office is fucking cheap now. You can get a 4 year subscription to office 2013 and 365 for only $80. You can get 2013 Home and Student edition for like $100. For the price of taking a date out on a night on the town, you're set.

Really now...?
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Okay, I realize I need to clarify. The $80 is if you're a student (or have a edu email address). You can get home and student for that price here.
  • I got a legit Office 2010 installer for free at work.
    Thing is, I don't think I've actually used a word processor for a couple months - Pretty much everything I've been doing I've written in Vim, intended for either LaTeX or gcc.
  • Someone on what.cd got an office installer that doesn't require a product key. That's how I got office.
  • My school actually gives all students a copy of office 2013 as of this year.
  • Google docs at home. MS Office at work. Works quite well for me.
  • If Google Docs were simply more reliable with power point presentations than I would be fine...
  • I don't use Power Point. I create my presentations in Google Docs. Perfectly reliable then. Problems only occur if I try to use that and Power Point back and forth on the same presentation.
  • Rym said:

I don't use Power Point. I create my presentations in Google Docs. Perfectly reliable then. Problems only occur if I try to use that and Power Point back and forth on the same presentation.

I have had that burn me when I was presenting offline. Even when I manually backed up a copy on USB and did an offline sync on the same day some slide just wouldn't load and left me with a black screen.
  • Coldguy said:

Rym said:

I don't use Power Point. I create my presentations in Google Docs. Perfectly reliable then. Problems only occur if I try to use that and Power Point back and forth on the same presentation.

I have had that burn me when I was presenting offline. Even when I manually backed up a copy on USB and did an offline sync on the same day some slide just wouldn't load and left me with a black screen.
    You don't actually present using Google Docs. You export to a pdf.
  • LibreOffice is a newer fork of OpenOffice.

LaTeX is fine if it's a technical document or if you're technically inclined.

If I have to share it, I use Google Docs. iWork '09 isn't terrible. For text, I try to stick to flat files in either Dropbox or a git repository.
  • Rym said:

I use powerpoint for presentations because it allows me to have multimedia elements in it without needing an active internet connection. This is a surprisingly useful feature for me.
  • Offline presentations are for pussies.

Talk to me when you have a presentation at a convention to do and connectivity is sketchy/non-existent.

Talk to me when you have a presentation at a convention to do and connectivity is sketchy/non-existent.
    Clearly, you hand draw every slide.

Clearly, you hand draw every slide.
    Doesn't everyone?
  • edited November 2013
    I haven't used Office since about the middle of high school. (for the latter part of high school and college I used OpenOffice.) I have iWork installed (hey, it's free) but I've used it exactly once. Keynote is pretty good for presentations, I guess. (also, again, free)

If I didn't have a Mac and needed to actually make a non-markdown formatted text document, I'd just use Google Docs.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I've got a copy of Office 2007 thats worked fine for me since. I really only have used it for essays and that's about it. I also use Libre office installed but I really haven't used either in months. I've mostly just been using notepad lately for the few random things I have needed to write down. Unless you really need it for school or work, I can't see justification for buying office unless you have a really specific need.
  • edited April 2016
  • So is that developed by LibreOffice or some guy? Also, anything similar to OneNote?
  • edited April 2016
    Guys. There is NO reason to use that open/libre office crap anymore unless you're running linux. It claims compatability but my ex couldn't run any of my PowerPoints that were more complex than just text on a slide.
    Office 365 is legit stupid cheap. It's ten fucking dollars a month. TEN DOLLARS A MONTH. For FIVE installs. If you have four friends who need Office too, that's $2 per person a month.
    Oh, and you get 1TB of OneDrive storage with it to boot. Per User.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Don't buy Office 365 either. Just use Google Drive/Docs/Sheets for free.
  • Guys. There is NO reason to use that open/libre office crap anymore unless you're running linux. It claims compatability but my ex couldn't run any of my PowerPoints that were more complex than just text on a slide.
    Office 365 is legit stupid cheap. It's ten fucking dollars a month. TEN DOLLARS A MONTH. For FIVE installs. If you have four friends who need Office too, that's $2 per person a month.
    Oh, and you get 1TB of OneDrive storage with it to boot. Per User.

Seriously alternative solutions just suck, 365 is worth it.
  • Pegu said:

So is that developed by LibreOffice or some guy? Also, anything similar to OneNote?

It's from the developers of eyeOS.