This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gundam 00

edited October 2007 in Anime
We'll probably do a show on it pretty soon, but I want to start talking about it now. I watched the first two episodes last night, and I have only this to say about it. The first episode is shallow character introductions and lots of actiony robot shooting until the very end. The second episode is the business. I think I am enjoying this show.

Comments

• The show looks really promising. I like the art style of this series more than Seed, which was too shiny for me.
    I feel bad for the subber; he got hit by a car and was in the hospital.
  • The first episode was really confusing since they really just through you right into it without any sort of an explanation. But I could certain see some potential in the show, especially with the announcement that they make at the end.

But episode 2 is definitely the business.

The one thing that does really disappoint me so far with the show is no female Gundam pilots.
  • edited October 2007
    The one thing that does really disappoint me so far with the show is no female Gundam pilots.
    I agree, there is definitely a lacking of the female action. All we get is the drunken captain and the mischief making girl in the Chinese dress. When I watched the promo for the show, it looked like the return of Gundam Wing, the same way Gundam Seed was a redo of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. If that holds true, I expect about the same number of females as Wing, which is not as many as other Gundams like Seed and Zeta.

I knew I was liking the show at the end of the second episode. When he says "My name is Graham Acre, and you have given me a reason to live!" I yelled out "fuck yeah!" even though I was the only person there.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • We'll probably do a show on it pretty soon, but I want to start talking about it now. I watched the first two episodes last night, and I have only this to say about it. The first episode is shallow character introductions and lots of actiony robot shooting until the very end. The second episode is the business. I think I am enjoying this show.

Scott, be aware of pulling a Dave.
  • I pretty much screamed like a fangirl when I heard daybreak's bell by laruku as the opening.
    Go new L'arc~en~Ciel!
  • I pretty much screamed like a fangirl when I heard daybreak's bell by laruku as the opening.

Go new L'arc~en~Ciel!
    Oh yeah, forgot about that.
    Go new L'arc~en~Ciel!
    Oh yeah, forgot about that.

I been waiting for the album since they announced it.
  • I can't believe that there is a Gundam shonen manga magazine. I knew the series was huge, but is it really that big? I wonder if it will ever cease to exist...
  • yeah i agree with Scott. I really didn't like the first episode, but when the second came around and explained everything, I am totally on board with this show. From these two episodes, I have a basic idea of the overall outcome, barring any crazy plot twists. It will be interesting to see where this show goes, and how long it takes to get there.
  • Episode three continues the coolness. I just finished watching it. It starts to remove some more of the fuzziness to the story/world, and I'm starting to see where certain things could be going in the future.
  • edited October 2007
    I love pratically anything Gundam and have been craving a new series for a few months now. My only issue so far is that when it comes to hyper political anime, I don't like subs. Part of me is debating on waiting for the dub, since Gundam historically has good dubs of their shows.

On a seperate note, the Dynames [otherwise referred to as sniper Gundam] kicks alot of ass. It's mere on-screen presence causes a slight drool. Not sure why the concept of a Gundam with a sniper rifle just never happened before, but I think it's about goddamn time.
    Post edited by Classic on
  • Dynames is definitely bad ass. But personally I kind of dig Virtue, it reminds me a lot of Unit 2 from 0083
  • Before I watched a single minute of the show, Virtue was my favorite. I think it had something to do with me reminiscing the Panzer setup on the Liger Zero from Zoids. Heavy armor, pure firepower, all ownage. But when I FPS, or more specifically, when I Counter the Strike, I typically prefer sniper rifles. My affinity towards the scope is probably the reason why drooling occurs.
  • I've always been partial to the "main" gundams. Freedom was my fave form Seed. In 00 I like the Exia, but Kyrios is by far teh awesome. It takes so much from the Zeta. I had some free time today and finally finished my Justice Gundam model kit. I look forward to some 00 model kits.
  • Image Anime in the city already has the 1/144 kits for 3 out of 4 of them. I impatiently await the bigger scale kits.
  • Image Anime in the city already has the 1/144 kits for 3 out of 4 of them. I impatiently await the bigger scale kits.
    Yeah, I'm more of a 1/100 guy.
  • I prefer to go by grade rather then size. I like to get the Master grades, which tend to be 1/60, although I do have one that is 1/100.
  • I prefer to go by grade rather then size. I like to get the Master grades, which tend to be 1/60, although I do have one that is 1/100.
    I don't think they do the grades any more. I never saw any mention of grade on any Gundam SEED models.
  • I have a desk in my house full of gundam models, they are a big part of the time I like to spend alone.
    I was about to make my own model out of metal (because I love working with metal) but then I found out it would take an insane amount of effort.

So much for that. XD
  • edited October 2007
    The grades are still around, but it's size that you notice. No one really makes their decisions because of the grade. It might be set up so the grades dictate the size . . . but i don't care enough to look it up.

Edit: I lied . .. and looked it up. HG (High Grade) is 1/144. MG (Master Grade) is 1/100. PG (Perfect Grade) 1/60. A Perfect Grade Wing Zero Custom [Endless Waltz Edition one] is 300 and change . . . yet i desire it, verily.
    Post edited by Classic on
  • Perfect Grade is the best Grade :P
  • I've seen the PG Wing Zero at cons for far less.
  • I've seen the PG Wing Zero at cons for far less.
    It's $300 at bigbadtoystore.com, but that's for the pearl mirror coating version.
  • I really wish that there were some places by my house to by some Gundam models, but there's not, so I've had to turn to online. I'll try the store that Scott mentioned, and Amazon/eBay should have some good stuff, I just have to look.
  • I lied . .. and looked it up. HG (High Grade) is 1/144. MG (Master Grade) is 1/100. PG (Perfect Grade) 1/60. A Perfect Grade Wing Zero Custom [Endless Waltz Edition one] is 300 and change . . . yet i desire it, verily.
    Huh. I think my brother has a 1/100 of that somewhere...

Anyways, I just finished the second episode and this looks like the real bizness.
  • I just finished the third. Mostly story exposition, not too much action. They explain the power supply of the Gundams slightly. Good stuff, all around.
  • Oh, has anyone else noticed that the leader of the American/Japanese power looks kinda like Mr.Bush? I also love how he mentions "profit" so much in the sub I watched.
  • I have heard a lot about Gundam(s), but I haven't yet seen any. So I was wondering are all different gundam series totally different stories, so I could take this new one and start watching it, without knowing anything from previous series or should I go and see some old ones first. And if so, witch ones? Because I have heard that some Gundams are realy cool and awesome and others are not.
  • Any series can work as a starting point. The majority of Gundam series only have one thing tyin them together, the main mecha is named a Gundam. I would still recommend that you watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam that premiered in '79. Regardless of how dated the animation looks in today's standards, there was a really good story there. Gundam Wing is also another really good one, but the story it tells is different in a big way.
  • All the storylines are different, so you don't have to worry about it. If you want to watch older series, I would recommend Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed, but if you see a "Gundam Seed Destiny," remember that that is not actually Gundam Seed, and is to be avoided.