This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I want to see a team called "The Indians" that is actually people from India. It just has to not portray them in a racial stereotype manner, but in a respectful and realistic representation. They can also serve Indian food at the concession stands!
  • edited November 2013
    My school district had a football team called the Indians for years. All the adults complained when it had to be changed to The Eagles out of political correctness. Some understood. But a whole bunch complained. I think my parents did. I don't remember.

Yeah.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Apreche said:

I want to see a team called "The Indians" that is actually people from India. It just has to not portray them in a racial stereotype manner, but in a respectful and realistic representation. They can also serve Indian food at the concession stands!

Only if all members of the team are also actually Indian.
  • Greg said:

Apreche said:

I want to see a team called "The Indians" that is actually people from India. It just has to not portray them in a racial stereotype manner, but in a respectful and realistic representation. They can also serve Indian food at the concession stands!

Cricket. Pretty much every team.
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:

Apreche said:

...you realize that's racist, right? Not in a particularly bad way, just, in this context...
  • I discovered a neat linux trick just out of necessity. If you don't feel like typing a whole filename, you can type cd * if it's the only directory in the current directory, otherwise the first few characters that differentiate it and *
  • Pegu said:

I discovered a neat linux trick just out of necessity. If you don't feel like typing a whole filename, you can type cd * if it's the only directory in the current directory, otherwise the first few characters that differentiate it and *

Also, tab completion?
  • If that blows your mind try hitting tab
  • Fetlife is HORRIBLY painful to navigate, but I guess most folk on there like that sort of thing.
  • Wyatt said:

Fetlife is HORRIBLY painful to navigate, but I guess most folk on there like that sort of thing.

False. Not even the hardcore lifestylers are masochistic enough to think that's decent web design.
  • Greg said:

Apreche said:

Greg said:

Apreche said:

...you realize that's racist, right? Not in a particularly bad way, just, in this context...
    Not racist but factually incorrect unless he is only talking about Cricket teams that are based in India.

List of current first-class cricket teams
  • edited November 2013
    It's racist against cricket teams.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Apreche said:

Not what you're looking for, but the closest you'll get.

The "Mumbai Indians" from the Indian Premier League (cricket).

However like the English Premier League for football, teams hire international talent as well by having more attractive contracts. 2/3 of the team is Indian, 1/3 is sourced by international players in this particular team.

• The amount of money in Indian cricket is pretty crazy.
  • It's pretty impressive that it works with gifs.
  • I had a bit of a racist grandpa moment today, but it had a decent message. He was talking about how the "Indians" look to their elders and whatnot but the elders are living in the past and it's the younger people that understand the modern times.
  • That's actually not too racist. There's a huge proportion of the Native American population that identifies as "Indian". The only reason I don't use the term is to avoid confusion. The racist part is the looking to their elders, because that really wasn't the case -- Indians had the same generational conflicts that everyone else does.
  • edited November 2013
    I've heard general statements from anthropologists stating that in small tribal societies "elders" had the most sway when it came time to make a decision. I can imagine a strong oral tradition having a big part in that.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • The general point though, is, don't let old people control the government. Which is pretty great coming from an old person.
  • I've had no less than three different teachers assign readings from Jared Diamond. I would complain because he's not good enough to warrant reading three times, but he's good enough to read once and they're each operating independent of each other, so I'm just kind of weirded out.
  • edited November 2013
    Penny Arcade is looking for someone to do gruntwork for them. At least they're upfront about how awful such a job might be.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Sounds terrible. If you had the skills and experience they need/want, work elsewhere for real monies. Idiots.
  • Its crappy grunt work, but crappy grunt work at PA which seems to treat its staff better than most. I would imagen they are not short of aplicants.
  • edited November 2013
    Their redeeming factor is being associated with PA (good or bad) and having an interesting work environment, which there are plenty of already. Many small development companies that make good money basically give you anything you could possibly want as far as amenities so really you're just in it to be associated with PA.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • AmpAmp
    edited November 2013
    Eh if I had the skills and could I would go for it. It would be no different to any other shitty job at that level especially if you were fresh out of Uni.

Edit; They are also vauge about wages but I would imagen that it would be competative for the feild.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • edited November 2013
    Amp said:

Its crappy grunt work, but crappy grunt work at PA which seems to treat its staff better than most. I would imagen they are not short of aplicants.

Oh yeah, they're going to have thousands of applicants based on the name alone.

They have to be offering competitive salary, because if they didn't, the people they would want for the job - ie, skilled, motivated professionals - would tell them to shove it up their arse. The kind of people who would work for peanuts in this kind of a position based on a name alone are - surprise surprise - not the kind of people you generally want to hire for this sort of work, because they're starry-eyed twits obsessed with the idea of working for PA more than doing a competent job.

I'm finding it amusing though, despite the fact that they're likely to at least be offering a competitive salary for that reason - Khoo isn't stupid, after all, and has managed to assemble a good number of employees without hiring a pack of incompetent wankers, so that should tell you something - The Tumblr crowd are using the line "Negotiable, but you should know up front we’re not a terribly money-motivated group. We’re more likely to spend less money on salary and invest that on making your day-to-day life at work better" To indicate that you'll be paid practically nothing in exchange for a few tiny perks, and basically be tied to a chair to endure Mike being history's worst monster all day, and everyone who applies is either a monster or a sucker.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Oh I thought that was a given, I mean the company induction is to murder a gaggle of children.

The whole negotiable wage thing is just to make sure people know its not all about the money.

I would imagen, like any job, if your good at it then you will be well rewarded. PA have made it clear from the start that they are a family and that seems the big selling point. Like I said it seems no different to any other job and if anything a bit better in some regaurds.
  • Well for one they don't have a whole lot of consistent income so as a developer your salary probably won't be that great for what they're requiring. Also saying you worked at penny arcade isn't going to carry the same weight saying you worked at Microsoft will. I mean it's telling when half the people who go to PAX don't even know what penny arcade is.