This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A couple tiny suggestions

Comments

• muppet said:

Apreche said:

muppet said:

That red edit text, though... that shit's gotta go. Urgh.

I like it because it encourages you to get it right the first time. Spend some time proof-reading your post before you click post. Maybe click preview? That's a thing.
    Well, the one instance where this reasoning sorta falls down a bit is that you guys prefer people to edit their last post rather than post immediately below it when something new occurs to them or they find something else to contribute to a discussion, but nobody else has posted yet.

This red brand of fuck-up sort of discourages that. People may be more tempted to "double post" as I've often been lambasted for here, or just keep the new info to themselves which would be a detriment to the thread (to varying degrees).

Meh, I think the red text sucks.
    Is double posting really such a big deal? I often feel it is the more appropriate course of action.
  • With my new expanded screen real estate the forum looks a bit better. I still stand by the observation that the new layout has vanity metrics that (s/c)ould be removed, but right now I am more annoyed by Vanilla's inability to have high resolution assets for the little icons next to "Categories", "Recent Discussions", etc.
  • edited November 2013
    I am having problems posting. I had to log out, clear my cache and log back in.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Huh, now I'm getting the "Your comment must be approved" message. Post was "In other totally fucking sweet film news, check this out" With an embedded youtube video directly below.
  • Good luck with that. I don't think the abdicator in chief knows how to help us anymore.
  • So what happened with the text formatting buttons?
  • Banta said:

So what happened with the text formatting buttons?

It got disabled somehow. I didn't notice because I don't use it. I re-enabled it.

• I e-mailed your issues to Vanilla support. We're paying them, so they should fix it.
  • The visual clutter would be heavily reduced by removing the decimals from the large numbers. Just say "31k", never "31.4k".
  • It appears that my comments now require approval.
  • Hurrah, my comments do not.
  • edited November 2013
    Rym said:

The visual clutter would be heavily reduced by removing the decimals from the large numbers. Just say "31k", never "31.4k".

It's not so much that it is visual clutter but that it is mostly useless information and a bit of a vanity metric. Same with the user icon to the left. If you wanted to encourage user participation in a variety of threads the icon should be that of the most recent commenter not the thread originator. The way it is now just ever so slightly makes me want to keep commenting in my own thread (and not any of the others) to keep my icon on top of the front page >:-).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I tried to post a link to a page on YouTube, and just tried again, and every time it says it'll be posted once it gets out of moderation. This is not good. As in, I can't use the Thing Of The Day thread if the thing of my day doesn't appear that day.
  • Ok, so apparently what happens is you made a really simple comment that looks a lot like spam to the spam filter. It goes into a spam queue, not the moderation queue where I was looking. I have to dig through the spam queue, which is loaded with the spam registrations, and pick out the post. I can also manually mark individual users as verified, which means their posts are never marked as spam. I can't do that to everyone by hand, it will take forever. So instead I'll just do it to each person one at a time as they make false positive spam comments.

Also, if you get marked as spam like that, it's also probably easier as a temporary measure, to write a better comment that doesn't look like spam.
  • Apreche said:

Also, if you get marked as spam like that, it's also probably easier as a temporary measure, to write a better comment that doesn't look like spam.

I'll not stand for your racism against my robot heritage.

• Churba said:

Apreche said:

I'll not stand for your racism against my robot heritage.

I would have totally expected that comment, to end up in the spam folder.
  • Apreche said:

Thing of the day thread DEAD :-p
  • It should be easy to make a spam filter exemption for the Thing of the Day thread.
  • It should be easy to make a spam filter exemption for the Thing of the Day thread.

You seem to be forgetting that we are on vanilla hosting now.
  • Yes, they should be able to do it...
  • edited November 2013
    Scott, I really appreciate the effort you're putting into the forum. I've got some small complaints, but, knowing you, you see the problems and solve what you can. What's more, frugality is a virtue no matter how much money you've got, so I see why you want us to pay for the forum. I'm too broke to contribute at the moment, but once I'm gainfully employed I'll certainly grab some merch or whatever you and Rym offer for us to help out.

Post edited by Walker on
  • It appears that the PM system isn't fully working yet in creating new messages but replying to old ones is ok.
  • Coldguy said:

It appears that the PM system isn't fully working yet in creating new messages but replying to old ones is ok.

Why does everyone here suck at bug reports? Explain in perfect detail every single thing you did and every single thing that happened as well as what you expected to happen.
  • Apreche said:

Coldguy said:

It appears that the PM system isn't fully working yet in creating new messages but replying to old ones is ok.

Why does everyone here suck at bug reports? Explain in perfect detail every single thing you did and every single thing that happened as well as what you expected to happen.
    Fair enough

1) I clicked on a name in a thread which took me to their profile.

2) Once in the profile I hit the "Message" button on the upper right hand corner.

3) This sent me to the screen in which it tells me

"Permission Problem
    You don't have permission to do that."

in a white page with a faint smile in grey scale.

I was able to get a message sent by going into the upper bar and hitting inbox. Selecting the conversation which started prior to the migration, and simply replying to that.

Anything else I can provide?
  • Try it now.
  • Apreche said:

Try it now.

It is working again, thank you Scott for the quick fix.
  • Just an observation but I found it interesting that if you're on any page that is not the last page it'll add your post to the bottom of that page cosmetically. On refresh or page change it's removed. Kinda strange design choice that it doesn't take you to the last page anymore.
  • edited November 2013
    It said my message had to be approved before it would be posted in random comments the first time I tried to post it. Not sure why.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Still having posting problems on mobile. I am logged in but the post comment button does nothing.