This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• Except OCTGN is shit.
  • Today's tournament. All the regrets.
  • Sigh, I would like to give someone some monies in return for completing my Netrunner core set. So 2x each of the 18 one-offs and 1x each of the 55 two-offs.

I'll pay 2x cost of core set + shipping, and you'll have my undying gratitude including the possibility of some Finnish candy sent your way.
  • There's a super sale on core sets right now.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165000
  • Yeah, shipping is $50 so not going to do that. I pretty much don't care how the "someone" - whom I will be eternally indebted to - appropriates the cards I need, I just don't want to pay for shipping of two big boxes and I certainly don't want all the crappy tokens and superfluous cards.

I'll pay the amazon rate $30 per core set and the cheapest possible shipping to Finland, if you can get it for twenty, more power to you.
  • Apreche said:

Why is everyone so obsessed with changing things up and whatnot? PLAY THE GAME AS DESIGNED.

Ever put salt or condiments on your food? Same idea.

I always will to a new places food as served and if I don't like it, I jump to making it better for me.

• edited December 2013
    Dromaro said:

Apreche said:

Why is everyone so obsessed with changing things up and whatnot? PLAY THE GAME AS DESIGNED.

Ever put salt or condiments on your food? Same idea.

I always will to a new places food as served and if I don't like it, I jump to making it better for me.

Do NOT put condiments on your food when you are not intended to do so (e.g: a hot dog). If you go to a fancy restaurant and put ketchup on the steak, the chef should kick you out with no refund. You do not know better than the chef about food, you don't know better than the game designer about that game. If a game is crappy, and many are, don't try to fix it. Just stop playing and play a good game instead. If you to a restaurant and the food sucks, don't slather it in ketchup to mask the poison flavor. Send the food back and eat somewhere else where the food doesn't make you want to puke.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm not disagreeing. I'm just throwing the analogy out there. Ketchup on fries is a must, IMO.

Heinz is an almost billion dollar a year company in large part to the condiment portion of their business.

Granted most house rules to most games suck but that doesn't mean you should shut those people down if that's how they get their kicks.
  • I think adding in the draft option/neutral factions is a great idea for multiple reasons. It adds multiplayer to the mix, which is something that Netrunner lacks. It also adds a different element of strategy to the game with the test as you play option. Ro and I have more or less dropped Netrunner due to difficulty of finding time to play with other people, and the fact that it is only 2 players, so we can't break it out as much when friends are over, as we generally play games that involve all of the group (if there are 4-6 of us) or split between 2 or more games. It also doesn't help that, if there is a 2 player game going on when we have company over, it is going to probably be Magic.
  • Neocloud said:

I think adding in the draft option/neutral factions is a great idea for multiple reasons. It adds multiplayer to the mix, which is something that Netrunner lacks. It also adds a different element of strategy to the game with the test as you play option. Ro and I have more or less dropped Netrunner due to difficulty of finding time to play with other people, and the fact that it is only 2 players, so we can't break it out as much when friends are over, as we generally play games that involve all of the group (if there are 4-6 of us) or split between 2 or more games. It also doesn't help that, if there is a 2 player game going on when we have company over, it is going to probably be Magic.

The point is that you should replace Magic with Netrunner and save a fuckton of money.
  • Apreche said:

Neocloud said:

I think adding in the draft option/neutral factions is a great idea for multiple reasons. It adds multiplayer to the mix, which is something that Netrunner lacks. It also adds a different element of strategy to the game with the test as you play option. Ro and I have more or less dropped Netrunner due to difficulty of finding time to play with other people, and the fact that it is only 2 players, so we can't break it out as much when friends are over, as we generally play games that involve all of the group (if there are 4-6 of us) or split between 2 or more games. It also doesn't help that, if there is a 2 player game going on when we have company over, it is going to probably be Magic.

The point is that you should replace Magic with Netrunner and save a fuckton of money.
    It's non-trivial to convince a large group to switch games like that. Especially when many in my group simply make a deck that wins ~50% of the time and then stop buying cards.
  • edited December 2013
    Apreche said:

Neocloud said:

Except, we can't play Netrunner multiplayer. Unless there is a variant that I am unaware of that doesn't involve the neutral factions.
    Post edited by Neocloud on
  • edited December 2013
    Neocloud said:

Apreche said:

Neocloud said:

Except, we can't play Netrunner multiplayer. Unless there is a variant that I am unaware of that doesn't involve the neutral factions.
    Oh, you are playing your weird multiplayer Magic variants?

You know we have Netrunner meetups in the city multiple times per week. At lot more than two people show up. Not once has anyone played a weird variant. We just *gasp* play multiple two player games at once. Then after you play a person a couple times, you switch opponents. Not hard.
  • SHOCK! It's almost as if some people have different tastes than you! :P
  • Neito said:

SHOCK! It's almost as if some people have different tastes than you! :P

Well, yeah, but obviously those people are wrong, stupid, and should get on my level, the scrubs.

• Churba said:

Neito said:

SHOCK! It's almost as if some people have different tastes than you! :P

Well, yeah, but obviously those people are wrong, stupid, and should get on my level, the scrubs.

I don't actually disagree (Super-multiplayer magic sucks, honestly, because nobody can do anything without getting trounced), but in a casual format like what's being described, it's certainly a valid method of enjoyment.

Alternately, just play EDH. :3
  • If we play magic, then we are usually playing Commander (EDH), which is designed for multiplayer in mind. Or, we will play 2 headed giant, if there are only 4 players. Ro and I are the only ones in our circle that own Netrunner cards, and thus, the only ones with decks. It is our preference to play games that all of the players can play at the same time, together, instead of separately, and none of our friends has taken a strong interest in the game anyways.

I am tempted to just find a buyer for our cards, due to general lack of interest from the people we play games with, and not wanting to travel a long distance on inconvenient nights to play with hardcore people (and we are not hardcore anyways). If the neutral/draft stuff is coming out soon, then I may look to keeping our cards, but the game has been collecting dust for a few months now.
  • Not to derail the entire conversation, but the Star Wars LCG just released an expansion so you can play 2x2 and 3x1. I'm excited to try out both formats, especially the 3x1 where the one person plays a "super" challenge deck, and the other 3 players all try to defeat it as a team.
  • Finally won a tournament. Was kind of a fluke, though.

There was a low turnout, and most of the people better than me did not show up. I only won corp games in round 1-2. Then I won all games in round 3-4. That wasn't technically enough to win, except the people ahead of me went to time in the final round. That cost them a prestige point, which gave me the win. If they had played faster, I would have lost.

I need a new runner deck. 50% win rate not so good. My corp deck now is just evil. Did not lost at all today. I think it only lost maybe once or twice while testing it. At least one of those times it was due to my error.
  • Scott, is that your Weyland deck? Do you have a link to the decklist?
  • edited January 2014
    All my decks are always here.

http://netrunner.meteor.com/users/mobvXq6hS8mnnYykk

I won with these two, but the corp is the really strong deck of evilness.

NBN TIME (49 cards)

NBN: Making News
    Agenda (12)
    3 AstroScript Pilot Program
    3 Breaking News
    2 Character Assassination
    1 Gila Hands Arcology
    3 Project Beale
    Asset (3)
    3 Jackson Howard
    Upgrade (5)
    2 Bernice Mai
    3 SanSan City Grid
    Operation (12)
    3 Beanstalk Royalties •••
    3 Closed Accounts
    3 Hedge Fund
    3 Sweeps Week
    Barrier (5)
    3 Ice Wall •••
    2 TMI
    Code Gate (7)
    3 Pop-up Window
    1 RSVP
    3 Viper •••
    Sentry (5)
    3 Caduceus ••••• •
    2 Draco

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

Pair of Sights (45 cards)

Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker
    Event (19)
    3 Dirty Laundry
    3 Indexing
    2 Infiltration
    2 Scavenge
    1 Stimhack
    3 Sure Gamble
    3 Test Run
    2 The Maker's Eye
    Hardware (7)
    3 Clone Chip
    2 Grimoire ••••
    2 Plascrete Carapace
    Resource (6)
    3 Professional Contacts
    3 Same Old Thing
    Icebreaker (4)
    2 Crypsis
    1 Deus X
    1 Femme Fatale
    Program (9)
    3 Datasucker •••
    3 Parasite ••••• •
    3 Self-modifying Code

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/
  • Damn, I was hoping for a Weyland deck. That NBN is pretty similar to mine. Thanks!
  • Damn, I was hoping for a Weyland deck. That NBN is pretty similar to mine. Thanks!

All the NBNs are pretty similar these days.

• I love your deck names :)

And yeah, NBN seems pretty good at the moment. Sweeps Week just pushed it over.

Still, won't be long before another corp pulls ahead. If you browse Original Netrunner cards you can still see some sick cards they could pilfer and update to cause some mischief :)
  • I really want to get into this game, but I am bone broke. Is there any way to try the game before seeing if I can start saving up for it?
  • I really want to get into this game, but I am bone broke. Is there any way to try the game before seeing if I can start saving up for it?

I won't lie. There is a really crappy and unofficial way to play it online called OCTGN. It's a huge pain in the ass to setup. The user interface sucks. And it's very hard to learn to play using it. It's really only good if you already know how to play, and just have no friends to play in person.

If you want to try for free, your best bet is to simply find someone who has it, at a local game store or meetup, and get them to teach you.

If you have a few dollars, I suggest just buying the core set. One of Netrunner's best features is that even if you don't want to play competitively, you can just buy the core set and treat it like a two player board game. You should only buy expansions if you want to play competitively and seriously. If you do decide to play competitively, you need all the expansions. I recommend this only if you go to regular tournaments and meetups, as in multiple times per month. If you don't do that, just buy one core set and treat it the same as every other two player board game you have. It's only $27 on Amazon.

Android Netrunner: The Card Game
  • I agree with the above but would also add that you don't need to play competitively or seriously to get expansions. If you love the game, just pick up one expansion to freshen up your core set once in a while.

Or browse the card lists for a few cards you like and just buy that expansion.
  • I agree with the above but would also add that you don't need to play competitively or seriously to get expansions. If you love the game, just pick up one expansion to freshen up your core set once in a while.

Or browse the card lists for a few cards you like and just buy that expansion.

The number of cards in a single data pack are not enough to freshen up the core set. In each data pack there are only a few cards that are truly useful.

The expansions were also designed to be added in order, so you have to buy them starting from the beginning. If you buy later ones without earlier ones, then the game can get all messed up. They tend to release cards to counter other cards that aren't released yet. If you skip some packs, you will have cards that are too strong because you do not have the counters to those cards that were already printed.

Also, the core set has so much replayability on its own. You get 4 corps, three runners, and tons of possible decks. If you are playing so much with just the core set that it becomes stale, you should buy everything and join the community because you are playing it enough anyway.