This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HTPC software

I'm trying to plug my laptop into my TV and get an HTPC setup going. The only thing I need now is some software.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm attempting to install XBMC, but it doesn't seem to want to. If the worst-case scenario occurs and I have to dump it, does anyone have alternative suggestions?

Comments

• I assume you've already checked the forums and what not.

However I simply just use Windows Media Center in Windows 7 + Steam Big Picture.

Plus I use VLC for any file that doesn't run in WMC.
  • Daikun said:

I'm attempting to install XBMC, but it doesn't seem to want to.

Problem fixed. Yay!
  • I honestly don't use any sort of fancy software with my HTPC. It's Firefox, VLC, Steam, and little else. I don't even use Big Picture mode. You're better off buying a nice media keyboard/mouse combo, or one of those nice compact keyboards with a trackpad built in.

Footnote: The reason I use Firefox over Chrome on the HTPC is for an extension they have called multi-row bookmarks toolbar. I have a huge list of websites for streaming video, and I keep them all bookmarked in a 3-row toolbar. It's essentially a "channel guide" and it works really well, especially when not-so-bright guests are trying to use it.
  • I prefer Media Player Classic with the K-Lite Codec Pack as that plays anything except Blu Rays, can remember where you are in a file, and doesn't do that weird thing with colors that VLC does randomly.
  • Matt said:

You're better off buying a nice media keyboard/mouse combo, or one of those nice compact keyboards with a trackpad built in.

Both my friend and I use this one. It is super cheap and works well. The only issue is the range so I just got a 10' usb extension cable and put the receiver under the love seat next to my couch.

As for software I like the feel of standard Win 7 with Firefox and VLC.

• I use the same keyboard. Has a built in laser pointer, which is a plus, if you have a cat.
  • Well look at that little fucker! Insta-buy at $15. Thanks guys!

One other thing I thought might be useful when I first built the HTPC was a Microsoft Media Center remote (now discontinued), but it's been largely useless. I figured it might be an easy and familiar device for other people to use, since you can just hit the big center button to launch you into a "big picture" mode for your libraries, Netflix, and some other streaming services

That seems to be a non-existent middle-ground, though. People are either ready to use the computer like a big boy, or they refuse to touch it at all. The only use the remote has seen is occasionally using it for pause/play control if it was the closest thing in reach during a movie interruption, but usually it's easier to hit space on the keyboard.
  • edited January 2014
    Whoa. That mini wireless keyboard looks boss. I'm just not a fan of it's short range. I'm probably around 10' away from the HTPC when I'm on the couch. The FE02RF-BL doesn't look too shabby either.

I love playing on Big Picture Mode with 360 wireless controller. It will be even better if it can do voice commands via webcam/microphone.

I actually use the microphone on my webcam whenever I do a Google search, by clicking on the microphone button.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Hmm, reviews say that these aren't working w/ keyboard input into Netflix for some reason? The range is also an issue if it's really that bad.

Ro, for the one you linked, there's a Logitech equivalent for about the same price. Wonder if that might be a better option.
  • Note: The Logitech one is lap sized, the others are handheld.
  • I used to have the basic equivalent of that mini keyboard. It's exactly what it looks like. Cheapo chinese thingy. The larger Logitech one with the touchpad is much better.
  • Matt said:

Hmm, reviews say that these aren't working w/ keyboard input into Netflix for some reason? The range is also an issue if it's really that bad.

Ro, for the one you linked, there's a Logitech equivalent for about the same price. Wonder if that might be a better option.

Ooh. It's Logitch Unifying compatible. I think I may just buy that soon.

• edited January 2014
    OH! I actually have one of those, I keep it hooked up to my TV. It's a really decent portable keyboard, and the trackpad is pretty nice, though maybe a little finnicky if you've got a big TV.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I use the Logitech Dinovo Mini.

It works great, I was assuming that it was going to be spotty because it was bluetooth but I can use it from up to 5 metres away.

I was surprised at how well it works there's even a "ctrl alt delete" shortcut.

Battery lasts for 2+ weeks per charge.

It turns on just by flipping the lid open.

The only time I require a full keyboard is when I'm setting the computer up from scratch or playing games.

I initially wanted to by the Logitech K200 listed above but at the time it was sold out across all of the Australian stores as a new model was being brought in.

Yes it is relatively expensive but so far it is the best remote I've used that is smaller than a standard wireless keyboard and trackpad.

I'm going to check out an Android application (Unified Remote) which allows your phone to be used as a track pad, keyboard and IR remote for all the non computer devices in the room.
  • So my HTPC definitely isn't powerful enough to play modern 3D games at decent frame rates. But it is powerful enough to playback a stream of 1080p video. With that in mind, I tried to use Steam in-home streaming today to play Resident Evil: Revalations on the HTPC.

Basically, the way it works is this. Your desktop PC with it's awesome powerfulness actually opens up the game. You can watch it being played on the desktop in a window. That window is 1080p, and it captures the video from that window and streams it to the HTPC. It also sends all the audio and receives all the controller inputs. My LAN is gigabit. There was so little lag, I honestly couldn't tell that I wasn't playing the game locally. Even the rumble in the XBox 360 controller was streamed over.

With this technology I think I have to say there is no reason to get a powerful HTPC nowadays. What I'm really curious about is whether you can use Steam on a Mac mini or Linux PC and stream games from a Windows PC.
  • Apreche said:

With this technology I think I have to say there is no reason to get a powerful HTPC nowadays. What I'm really curious about is whether you can use Steam on a Mac mini or Linux PC and stream games from a Windows PC.

Yes you can.

I do this for any game when I have people over because my main computer is in my bedroom.

I personally still use an HTPC (over something like Mac mini) because I can install all the TV tuners I want and adding hard drive is easy.
  • I am in the same position with my HTPC, but instead of a desktop PC with awesome powerfulness, I have a $200 Chromebook.
  • I guess the best HTPC is once again, the Mac mini as long as you can Steam Stream.

If it will work for emulators running on the PC...
  • New Mac Mini released today. I was waiting to see if they would release a new one soonish to use as an HTPC. Now I gotta get one.
  • MATATAT said:

New Mac Mini released today. I was waiting to see if they would release a new one soonish to use as an HTPC. Now I gotta get one.

Thanks to Steam Stream, it's a better choice than ever.
  • edited October 2014
    Exactly. Also I don't have any products I could possibly do Apple dev on. I know you can cobble together some shit on Windows but it just sounds like a pain.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I've been trying to use streaming, it sucks so bad.

I was hoping to play Street Figher on the big projector screen but it's terrible as is most gaming with wireless gear.

One of the big issues is that I don't have my HTPC connected wirelessly so gaming using streaming is terrible.

The FPS I get on the computer running the game is 160, when finally being streamed, it is 24.
  • sK0pe said:

I've been trying to use streaming, it sucks so bad.

I was hoping to play Street Figher on the big projector screen but it's terrible as is most gaming with wireless gear.

One of the big issues is that I don't have my HTPC connected wirelessly so gaming using streaming is terrible.

The FPS I get on the computer running the game is 160, when finally being streamed, it is 24.

Your problem is that you are trying to play Street Fighter.
  • I have OpenELEC (small linux with xbmc) on an old Pentium D with a second hand GT 610 (cheapest card I could find with HDMI) and I have no complaints so far. For remote I use the Yarse xbmc remote controll app for my android and on very rare occasions an old wireless mouse I had lying around.

It's used just for movie and TV series watching so it doesn't need much.
  • I'm trying to decide between the 1.4 ghz model and the 2.6 ghz. Decent bump up in power but the benchmark between the HD 5000 and the Iris Graphics (ie 5100) seems negligible. Also I doubt I need 8 gb of RAM either. But the difference between a bigger HD, more powerful proc, and twice as much ram is 200, which isn't that bad. I just don't know if I'll ever push it even close to the limit with the smaller one. The only thing that will come close will probably be Steam streaming which if I understand right is pretty much all handled by the host.
  • So in the end I went the entirely opposite way and got an Alienware x51.
  • MATATAT said:

So in the end I went the entirely opposite way and got an Alienware x51.

Good Choice