This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na, BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

The 1960s Batman TV series is finally coming to DVD.

It only took them 48 years to get over the license issues, so we didn't have to wait long.

Comments

• I never understood why they goofed on Batman so hard in the 60s. I mean, they weren't serious, it was clearly corny even for the time.

Maybe because comics were for nerds and so it could only be a parody, I dunno. I haven't read much (anything) from the original producers/actors, if they ever sounded off on it.

I mean, the show is an absolute treasure to behold, but man, is it goofy as fuck.
  • edited January 2014

Just one of those days...
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • muppet said:

I never understood why they goofed on Batman so hard in the 60s. I mean, they weren't serious, it was clearly corny even for the time.

It was due to the comic industry's self-censorship at the time. They had implemented the Comics Code Authority following a backlash against comic books being too dark and dangerous to the developmental health of children, based on a psychiatrist's findings.

When ABC picked up the rights to Batman in the 1960s, one of the producers took a look at the goofy source material (likely unaware of the original comics) and said, "Okay, we're going to make it like that."