This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Magic: The Gathering hits XBLA

Comments

• Matt said:

Is this a thing that is actually happening at this point, or just one of these tentative deals that studios make every day, where they buy the rights to something and attach someone to work up a draft, but 90% of them never pan out?

We were discussing this today at the Netrunner tournament. This is most likely just one of those options that will never actually shows up in the theater. Lump it in with the live action Eva, Akira, and Cowboy Bebop movies. However, this particular instance is still noteworthy. Even if it's just some option that never happens, it still is the first time we've seen a major motion picture for a tabletop game of any kind. The rising tide lifts all boats. It would be great to see some wider pop culture recognition of any tabletop gaming, even M:TG. Rising tide lifts all boats.
  • edited January 2014
    Apreche said:

it still is the first time we've seen a major motion picture for a tabletop game of any kind.

Clue? Battleship?
    I'm actually kind of surprised that they optioned away the MTG film rights for how much Battleship was panned by critics. However, the film made 100 million in profits at the box office so I guess there's that.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • chaosof99 said:

Apreche said:

it still is the first time we've seen a major motion picture for a tabletop game of any kind.

Clue? Battleship?
    I'm actually kind of surprised that they optioned away the MTG film rights for how much Battleship was panned by critics. However, the film made 100 million in profits at the box office so I guess there's that.
    Yeah, I thought of Clue, but it's not part of the same nerdy tabletop culture as M:TG, Settlers, etc. It is, however, an excellent movie based on a tabletop game. Also, I don't know if the D&D movie counts.
  • The D&D movies are crimes against humanity that are best left to the sands of time to be washed away.

If they are made, they will be horrible. I'm calling it now. Just like the WoW movie will be terrible. You need to have more than an IP to make a movie good and with the rumored people attached to both? Not happening.
  • Dromaro said:

The D&D movies are crimes against humanity that are best left to the sands of time to be washed away.

If they are made, they will be horrible. I'm calling it now. Just like the WoW movie will be terrible. You need to have more than an IP to make a movie good and with the rumored people attached to both? Not happening.

You have learned well. Never trust a licensed property. Mega Man board game and Adventure Time card game are going to suck balls.
  • I already knew these things. At best, GeekNights and the forum just cemented my correct position.

I'm not the sharpest tool on this shed but out in the world? I'm not too shabby. #shittyselfesteem
  • So this weekend is GP Richmond. Last year I talked about GP Las Vegas, which was the largest Magic Tournament ever. GP Richmond falls short by only 200 players, making it the largest constructed tournament ever (constructed being where you bring your deck from home, as opposed to limited where you get sealed product at the tournament and build your deck from the contents of it). The tournament is so large that they split it into three different separate tournaments for organizational purposes.

And what's fun is that the format is Modern, which is about the last 10 years of released sets, a format that didn't exist 5 years ago.
  • edited March 2014
    I was at Grand Prix Vienna this weekend. On Friday I played the last sealed trial, had a good pool, built a very good Blue-Green deck from it, smashed my first round opponent. Got a bye in the 2nd round, then got absolutely destroyed by Elspeth, a bomb rare.

Saturday I got passed an insane pool, went 7-2 with it and made day 2, which is already fantastic. My only losses came to someone else who had both dragons and drew the lands for one of them while I was stuck at 5 lands, and to mulligans. Two friends of mine lost their win-and-in for Day 2.

Unfortunately both drafts in day 2 do not go so well, going 1-2 in both finishing at 9-6 and out of any price money. I placed around 120th. At least a friend of mine finished 15th.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • So Wizards of the Coast has had a number of various game designers from all over the industry, particularly video games, design a bunch of Magic cards which will be in the upcoming core set Magic 2015. These include Mike & Jerry from Penny Arcade and Edmund McMillen from Super Meat Boy.
  • I just watched the Final of Pro Tour Chicago 1999 between Brian Davis and Bob Maher Jr. Maybe this is a bit too much inside baseball and perhaps you should have something like Gatherer or Magiccards.info up on the side, but seriously this is an amazing match being played right there:

• As mentioned earlier, Jerry and Mike from Penny Arcade have designed a Magic card. It is this:

I quite like this card. There are comparables like Phyrexian Arena or Staff of Nin. This card is a bit more expensive, but you can spread the mana over multiple turns if you want to and get it online sooner than Staff of Nin. Since it's a colorless artifact, any deck can use it.

There is of course a risk associated here, but it can be mitigated. What I like most about this card is how it makes creature more vulnerable in a way. The +2/+0 entices to attack, which makes the creature easier to get rid of with cards like for example Celestial Flare while the vigilance (meaning the creature doesn't tap to attack), makes it vulnerable to a card like Vortex Elemental.

Apparently this guy has been doing this kind of cheat for a while. Got banned for four years for it.
  • It's pretty subtle. I was watching it in slow motion and it took me three times to catch it.
  • How come butt crack guy is banned, but this guy isn't? I would give him the Pete Rose.
  • Butt crack guy got 18 months. This guy got 4 years. Alex Bertoncini (who I mentioned earlier in this thread) also got another ban today, for 3 years.
  • chaosof99 said:

Butt crack guy got 18 months. This guy got 4 years. Alex Bertoncini (who I mentioned earlier in this thread) also got another ban today, for 3 years.

Why even have a limit? Why not just forever?
  • Apreche said:

Why have prison sentences? Why not death penalty for everything?
    The reason: People deserve a chance to rehabilitate themselves and be allowed to prove themselves that they have bettered themselves.
  • Why have a limit on sports bans/suspensions? Same reasoning here.
  • chaosof99 said:

Apreche said:

Why have prison sentences? Why not death penalty for everything?
    The reason: People deserve a chance to rehabilitate themselves and be allowed to prove themselves that they have bettered themselves.
    The death penalty means your entire life is done, and that's fucked up.

Being banned from one thing in life does not mean your entire life is over. Second chances mean you get a second chance at life. That doesn't mean that second chance life includes all the same opportunities as the first chance life.

You cheated at a game. Sure, your life isn't over. You have a chance to go live another life somewhere else. It's just not going to be a life of playing a card game professionally. You already fucked up your shot at that, and you're not getting another one. Even if you do reform and everyone keeps a close eye on you, your presence and history of cheating casts a dark cloud. The legitimacy of the entire competition is sulied by your presence no matter how many years have past or how closely you are watched on camera. Nobody else should have to suffer under that dark cloud when you are the one who cheated. Feel free to go enjoy any of the other wonders of life, but not this one.

Last I checked, not being allowed to play a card game competitively does not mean life is no longer worth living.
  • Scott, are you being intentionally obtuse, or did you seriously not get the analogy?
  • I actually, umm... agree with Scott. The loss of this privilege forever isn't really all that disproportionate with the crime of depriving multiple other people of the enjoyment of the same privilege deliberately.
  • Michael Vick is a shit human being for what he's done. So fuck everything about the Jets. Dude should have learned to play hockey.
  • chaosof99 said:

Scott, are you being intentionally obtuse, or did you seriously not get the analogy?

No, I'm being absolutely serious. Let's do more examples to make it clear.

Let's say there is a police officer that fucks up. Maybe they arrested someone for taking photographs, even though it was perfectly legal to do so. Maybe they committed some police brutality. Regardless of the degree of the offense, fucking up at all is not something that can be tolerated in someone in a position of such power and responsibility. Even if they don't go to jail or be fined, they should be fired and never permitted to have any law enforcement job ever again ever.

Let's say there is a driver. They hit a pedestrian with their car, and it is found that the driver was entirely at fault. The person didn't die. Insurance covered the injuries. Should this driver end up in jail or have their entire life ruined because they screwed up once? No. But they should never be allowed to drive a motor vehicle ever again. They had their chance and it is clear they do not deserve the privilege of operating such powerful machinery. They just aren't responsible enough. Even if they learn their lesson, we can't have others suffer with worry that this person is out on the road. They fucked up.

It's ok to give people multiple chances at things in life. I mean, there's no way to learn without failure. But if you fail at something so hard, there's a point where you're just done. Your entire life shouldn't be ruined, but the thing you fucked up at is now closed to you. Try something else instead.
  • Let's try this:

"Magic playing" is to "lifetime DCI ban" as "living" is to ...
    a) Death penalty/lifetime imprisonment
    b) 20 days in jail
    c) slap on the wrist
    d) nothing.

Yes, there are offenses which deserve lifelong punishment. Fraud (which is what I would equate cheating in Magic to) is not one of them. The DCI however actually has a couple of lifetime bans on its books. Among others on this exclusive list you find people who have engaged in a theft ring (attending GPs for the sole purpose of stealing things from other players while they weren't looking) and people who have physically assaulted others at Magic tournaments.

You don't just ban people for lifetime on their first offense because people make mistakes and people should get second chances to make amends and prove that they have bettered themselves. Look at the baseball rules for failed drug test. They don't start out at "lifetime ban", they start at 50 game ban, then 100 game ban, then lifetime ban.

Additionally, your examples are filled with false equivalency. The first is someone abusing his privileged position in law enforcement, the other is criminal neglect that almost ended in manslaughter. I don't think either is remotely close a comparison to cheating at a Magic tournament.
  • So you're acting like a lifetime ban from playing a card game icompetitively s such a huge penalty. It's a card game. If you cheat, you're done. If you played board games with someone and they cheated, you would never let them come back to game night. Same deal.
  • It's essentially ending a Magic playing career. That is the largest penalty there is to a Magic player. I'm acting like it's a huge penalty because it is!

And yes, I would kick people out if they cheated during a game night. However, I'm also not an international organization awarding hundreds of thousands of dollars each year where I would hope that a bit more oversight and a bit less whimsy than that would occur.
  • Pardon my inter-generational insensitivity, but I'm not going to lose sleep over anybody's M:tG career.
  • Nah, a Cheater would be allowed at my board game nights, but he'd be forced to play Liar's Dice every time as a warm up and have a disclaimer attached at the beginning of the game so people take him out:-p
  • It's the same as any other professional competitor getting banned from their sport of choice. It sucks for them do to loose of income. It sucks for you if you care about the sport.

Favorite LoL team caught cheating and kicked out of Regionals. That sucks!
    Favorite footballer bites a dude and kicked from World Cup. That sucks!

It only matters if you care. Totally subjective.
  • I think it's a farce that anyone makes a living from playing competitive sports, let alone becomes a millionaire, so I'm probably an outlier.