This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Travel Thread (meetups, food suggestions, cool stuff to see)

Comments

• I will also take recommendations for any awesome restaurants in that area as well. I hear Little Italy has some cool places. I've also heard BMore has good crab cakes.
  • You'll only be like 2 hours from Philly we could meet up. Also I might be in Frederick Maryland. I could take the long way home from my business trip and stop somewhere in Baltimore.
  • Come play board games in Philly some weekend!
  • That's definitely a possibility. I need to coordinate with George and the NYC crew to see when it is best to go to NYC.
  • Rochelle said:

I will also take recommendations for any awesome restaurants in that area as well. I hear Little Italy has some cool places. I've also heard BMore has good crab cakes.

Last time I was in Baltimore a few years ago, my wife and I had a pretty good Little Italy meal at Sabatino's.

I'm also, in theory, up for meeting up/hanging out/gaming, although I am notoriously hard to schedule around. And it's the middle of X-Wing tournament season. I'm in Central NJ, a hair under an hour from NYC, but in the direction of Baltimore. It's 2-2.5 hours away for me.

• Faidley Seafood at the Lexington Market has good crab cakes. I'd recommend. Other than that, everyone else is spot on about Bmore. I couldn't say it better.
  • I was there for that! This was a very special Otakon. It was the summer I graduated highschool. Met the love of my life on the reg line...

Thanks Baltimore.
  • An Internet classic, for sure.
  • Rochelle said:

That's definitely a possibility. I need to coordinate with George and the NYC crew to see when it is best to go to NYC.

I can make myself free any weekend but March 14-16. You get plan making priority. Also, if any wild game days appear while you're in town I'll come get ya. :)
  • A friend of mine from Japan is going to be doing a study abroad in Seattle in March. What are the cool places to visit there?
  • Ro, be sure to check out Geppi's Entertainment Museum. It's a great way to spend an afternoon, and is right in the Inner Harbor, across from Oriels Stadium, IIRC.
  • Ruffas said:

A friend of mine from Japan is going to be doing a study abroad in Seattle in March. What are the cool places to visit there?

What is your friend into? If he likes music, EMP isn't a bad place to go. Don't go up the Space Needled, but just look at it from below. Pike's Place is always fun to visit, but don't spend money there on crap, but perhaps a bit here and there on food.
    Greg said:

Ro, be sure to check out Geppi's Entertainment Museum. It's a great way to spend an afternoon, and is right in the Inner Harbor, across from Oriels Stadium, IIRC.

Cool. I'll make a note of it.

• Rochelle said:

What is your friend into? If he likes music, EMP isn't a bad place to go. Don't go up the Space Needled, but just look at it from below. Pike's Place is always fun to visit, but don't spend money there on crap, but perhaps a bit here and there on food.

She's definitely into music, but I imagine pretty much any cool places would be okay (EMP sounds pretty cool). Good food, nice non-tourist trappy places, local music venues, maybe some nice hiking areas, etc.
  • If you want to visit a state sole for the food, I, in the least humble way possible, recommend my home state of California. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/every-state-ranked-by-its-food-drink
  • Los Angeles is chock full of interesting food trucks.
  • One more vote for California. If you can't eat it there, it doesn't exist, and unlike New York's similar claim, it was probably invented there too, amongst a dense haze of Medicinal smoke.
  • Dromaro said:

If you want to visit a state sole for the food, I, in the least humble way possible, recommend my home state of California. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/every-state-ranked-by-its-food-drink

I call bullshit on that, given how Providence, RI is one of the best (and at one point was rated the best) restaurant towns in the country, yet RI itself only came in at 35.
  • One town versus a whole state(s)? They admit that variety, availability, and, sheer volume were factors. I'd be proud RI was that high given how small it is geographically.
  • edited July 2014
    Having moved to Los Angeles from within spitting distance of Providence, I'd have to agree with Lou. Yes, it's one city in the whole state, but it's the capitol of the state and is so close to the the border Massachusetts you can practically smell the stench of piss coming off of South Attelboro station. And it really does have a ton of restaurants.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Providence is within an hour or so of just about every other corner of the state, so yeah, I think it's valid to use how good it is to boost the quality of the state overall on such a poll. Now if Rhode Island was the size of California (and not to knock California -- I've gotten some damned good food whenever I've gone there too), and Providence was the only island (no pun intended) of good food in the entire state, then you may have an argument to make there.
  • Doing by state is ridiculous. Northern california is a place I would FLY to from southern California...
  • So I'm visiting Germany for a week in the beginning of August. I have an unlocked GSM phone and I'd like to pick up service for the week so I can use my phone as normal. Can anybody recommend anything for me?
  • Rym said:

Doing by state is ridiculous. Northern California is a place I would FLY to from southern California...

Not a fan of 8 hour drives? There is nothing that impedes proper governance of a state our size. It seems to suit us just fine.
  • Dromaro said:

Rym said:

Doing by state is ridiculous. Northern California is a place I would FLY to from southern California...

Not a fan of 8 hour drives? There is nothing that impedes proper governance of a state our size. It seems to suit us just fine.
    It's unfair to use such a large geographic area to decide who has the best food. People can't choose to eat anywhere in that area easily. New York State, I can count all the food in NYC, plus all the weird delicacies from far upstate that probably aren't even known to the majority of humans living even in the state itself.

• Ah. Arbitrary list is too arbitrary. Got it. ;-)

There is a point there if it were a serious effort but the article was literally born out of "Hey, guys! Which state has the best eats?". If it was a serious article, I'd voice the same concerns as you.
  • Dromaro said:

There is nothing that impedes proper governance of a state our size. It seems to suit us just fine.

Given some of the horror stories I've heard about California governance, I beg to differ. Then again, to be honest, I think most of the problems have nothing to do with the size of the state and instead are due to some of the general dysfunction in how the state government is set up.
  • edited July 2014
    I thought California's governance problems stem from the wide variety of political groups in the state. Unlike the rest of the country (south mostly conservative, north east mostly liberal, etc) California has a very diverse group of residents.

Kind of like how Upstate New York and New York City are so different politically.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • California needs like a super majority to get anything done (or at least did for a long time) this had results much like what you see in the federal government.