This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Twitch Plays Pokemon

edited February 2014 in Video Games
Because it's a big enough thing that it probably deserves its own separate thread.

Relevant links:
- Twitch Stream
- KYM Entry
- Google Progress Doc

Those floor puzzles are probably going to be a new ledge situation all over again. I'll be amazed if they get through them any faster than that ledge, if at all.

Also, late to the party, but RIP ABBBBBBK( and JLWNNOOOO. :(

At least they got that Eevee evolved, somehow. #teamflareon
Post edited by Eryn on

Comments

• edited February 2014
    The KYM gallery for this thing is pretty rockin'. Some highlights (spoiler cut for large images):

Post edited by Eryn on
  • This was already posted in the Random .gif thread, but I guess it's relevant here, too.

• Dear lord they're at over 75K people. They are not getting through Rocket HQ alive.
  • Idea: amass enough people/bots to acquire a squad of 6 geodudes. Can't lose.
  • Maybe I decided to watch it at the worst point but I checked it out on Friday or Saturday and I watched for five minutes as the guy struggled to get out of the corner and up a set of stairs. I think the abridged story of the progress is great, but actually watching it first hand is really boring.
  • MATATAT said:

Maybe I decided to watch it at the worst point but I checked it out on Friday or Saturday and I watched for five minutes as the guy struggled to get out of the corner and up a set of stairs. I think the abridged story of the progress is great, but actually watching it first hand is really boring.

I've tuned in twice, but for no more than a few minutes at a time. I was lucky enough to see some battles. It was great seeing how they could still manage to barely win battles mostly using non-attack moves over and over. I saw them decrease a Machop's accuracy so much it couldn't hit them at all. Eventually I think they got an attack off and killed it.
  • edited February 2014
    I got lucky on my second time tuning in and saw the great struggle between getting Eevee and not getting it, plus the following struggle to buy a stone for it. After that, it took them forever to get out of the department store because no one could agree on what to do next, so I took a break for a while. Eventually, tuned in to see them get into Saffron, and almost get to the daycare. So mostly I've been pretty lucky catching the stream at good times, but yeah, now is not a great time to be watching. Too many dicks on the dance floor and too complicated a map. Hopefully they'll make some progress later tonight when more people have gone to sleep.

One thing to take solace in if you pick a bad time to watch, though: there are always enough overly frustrated "SHUT UP U GAIZ STOP TYPING THIS IS SRS BZNS!!!" types in the chat at any given time to provide at least a couple minutes' worth of enjoyment.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited February 2014
    Of the other streams like this, the Blue stream is not doing too badly. They're at four badges as well, got Hitmonlee successfully, and just managed to get the Card Key in Silph Co. The chaos level is closer to how the Red stream was in the beginning (usually about 500-1000 viewers), making it slightly easier for the chat to wrangle itself in a concerted direction.

EDIT: Aww, that's actually kind of heartbreaking. :'(
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • This went up for sale pretty quickly.
  • So first it was SaltyBet. Then it was TPP. It is clear that there are many opportunities for huge success building apps on the Twitch API.

Even though I usually have a zillion ideas, I have no ideas for using the Twitch API. If we can come up with one, we can make it happen. Just copying SaltyBet or TPP won't work. We need a new idea that is just as good. Such an idea will be so obviously awesome as soon as you year it, just as both of these were.

Brainstorm time.
  • edited February 2014
    Twitch plays meatboy. Impossible yes but a feat I dream of.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • LOL at the people on Reddit legit furious that the new Anarchy/Democracy system "destroys the purity of the run" or "invalidates the experiment" or some shit.
  • Lazy answer: Twitch Plays Street Fighter 2. Stream Super Turbo: Channel #1 mashes buttons for player 1, channel #2 mashes buttons for player 2, channel #3 bets on the outcome.
  • pence said:

Lazy answer: Twitch Plays Street Fighter 2. Stream Super Turbo: Channel #1 mashes buttons for player 1, channel #2 mashes buttons for player 2, channel #3 bets on the outcome.

There are no unique ideas.
  • Democracy is fucking boring.
  • Andrew said:

Democracy is fucking boring.

Like watching Red walk in circles for hours on end was interesting.
  • Neito said:

Like watching Red walk in circles for hours on end was interesting.

At least it generated an interesting mythos and hilarious stories from the madness. All democracy has done is slow down and made the entire thing dull.

• I'm pretty sure Twitch chats have an API. It may even just be IRC. Just make a bot that posts "anarchy" every 1.75 seconds.
  • Neito said:

pence said:

Lazy answer: Twitch Plays Street Fighter 2. Stream Super Turbo: Channel #1 mashes buttons for player 1, channel #2 mashes buttons for player 2, channel #3 bets on the outcome.

There are no unique ideas.
    I'm okay with this existing. I want to see it actually running live!
  • Reddit getting angry does this happen often?
  • Never stops being funny, tho'.
  • Andrew said:

Democracy is fucking boring.

Yeah, I agree. The old system had a much more organic aspect to it that led to far more interesting results. That said, I'm not that bothered by the current system; the ability to switch to anarchy means that such interesting results still occur often enough.
    Apreche said:

So first it was SaltyBet. Then it was TPP. It is clear that there are many opportunities for huge success building apps on the Twitch API.

Even though I usually have a zillion ideas, I have no ideas for using the Twitch API. If we can come up with one, we can make it happen. Just copying SaltyBet or TPP won't work. We need a new idea that is just as good. Such an idea will be so obviously awesome as soon as you year it, just as both of these were.

• Oh man, they were so close to beating Giovanni on Anarchy mode just now.
  • A gallery describing their Pokemon:
    http://imgur.com/a/Fkn7L