This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Apreche said:

Let's go Sweden!

Are you getting NHL casters /announcers in the US?

The British dude doing the Australian coverage doesn't seem to understand anything other than what is in the rule book. All he does is call it like a soccer match.

This match needs Goons.

edit - lol they finally scored
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Let's go Austria! This game is the best yet. Austria is definitely outmatched by Canada, but they are skating with everything they've got. Go Austria!
  • Now if only the team could play some fucking defense. Or score some goals. Or keep the puck away from the Canadians...
  • chaosof99 said:

Now if only the team could play some fucking defense. Or score some goals. Or keep the puck away from the Canadians...

/sigh
  • HERE WE GO!!! Time for SRS BSNS. USA vs. RUS!
  • edited February 2014
    Nobody can say the game was fixed, unless you are accusing of NBC doing the fixing.

Also, the name of the day seems to be Oshie, but also give credit to Quick!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Suomi. Please please please eliminate the comrades. You're almost there...
  • edited February 2014
    Aww did Russia lose?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Andrew said:

Aww did Russia lose?

Nobody can say the tournament is rigged!
  • Finland-Sweden in the Semis. Massacre incoming.
  • chaosof99 said:

Finland-Sweden in the Semis. Massacre incoming.

I'll be happy whichever team wins this one. All that matters now is that Canada loses.
  • sK0pe said:

Are you getting NHL casters /announcers in the US?

We are, at least for the "A-games." Those get the same announcers NBC uses for the Stanley Cup finals. Presumably the "B-games" and such get NBC's "B-team" and so on -- I'm just not as familiar with NBC's NHL announcing crew to know who the folks are other than their "A-team."

The intermission/post-game analysts though are the same as the NHL analysts for all the games.
  • edited February 2014
    I feel like every game I watched has been Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk with Pierre down on the ice. That's the A-team Lou is referring to. That's the team you'll definitely see if a game makes it to broadcast television. I watched one game in the preliminary rounds that was of little consequence, I think it was Slovakia/Slovenia and they had one announcer from the UK all alone.

Apparently Kenny Albert, Dave Strader and Brian Engblom are also doing some games. I think I do remember hearing Kenny on at least one game.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

I feel like every game I watched has been Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk with Pierre down on the ice. That's the A-team Lou is referring to. That's the team you'll definitely see if a game makes it to broadcast television. I watched one game in the preliminary rounds that was of little consequence, I think it was Slovakia/Slovenia and they had one announcer from the UK all alone.

Apparently Kenny Albert, Dave Strader and Brian Engblom are also doing some games. I think I do remember hearing Kenny on at least one game.

The Slovakia / Slovenia game commentary is what I'm getting for every game except the US games, it's very disappointing unless I watch it through a VPN on NBC.
  • edited February 2014
    Controversial no-goal call in the Latvia-Canada game, with a Latvian defender sweeping the puck away from the goal line with his hand. Shots are something like 49-13 in favor of the Canadians. Still, score is 1-1.
    I really want to see Latvia score now. That would be absolute madness.

Watching on a british (I think) stream because the austrian one sucks ass. World's most boring sports commentator.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • In the end it wasn't enough for Latvia, though they certainly deserve respect for how much they stood against that tide. Canada wins 2-1.
  • I have high hopes for a FIN-USA final. Sweden is a very tough opponent, though, and as a nation we have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to those lucky, undeserving bastards.
  • Dr. Timo said:
    Interesting... I actually knew a Finnish girl back in college who basically was almost offended at being called "Scandinavian" since Finland isn't a "Scandinavian" country. Then again, that comic referred to Finland and Sweden as both being "Nordic" countries... so is there a difference between "Nordic" and "Scandinavian"? I had always assumed the two to be synonymous.
  • Dr. Timo said:
    Interesting... I actually knew a Finnish girl back in college who basically was almost offended at being called "Scandinavian" since Finland isn't a "Scandinavian" country. Then again, that comic referred to Finland and Sweden as both being "Nordic" countries... so is there a difference between "Nordic" and "Scandinavian"? I had always assumed the two to be synonymous.
    I just read the answer to this on Wikipedia.

• Yeah, I did too... after I posted...

That said, I'll root for Finland over nearly everyone but the US, if only because Tukka Rask is their goalie.
  • Yeah, I did too... after I posted...

That said, I'll root for Finland over nearly everyone but the US, if only because Tukka Rask is their goalie.

As I said, I really don't care who wins Finland vs. Sweden. I really like both. Finland is a good place. Sweden is a good place. Finland has hockey players I like. Sweden has Lundqvist! It's pretty much all good in my book.
  • John Tavares is out for the rest of the Olympic Tournament and the rest of the NHL season. The hockey gods must really hate the Islanders.
  • Apreche said:

Yeah, I did too... after I posted...

As I said, I really don't care who wins Finland vs. Sweden. I really like both. Finland is a good place. Sweden is a good place. Finland has hockey players I like. Sweden has Lundqvist! It's pretty much all good in my book.
    Yeah, I got nothing against Sweden. Only rooting for Finland because of Rask.
  • The puck drops in ten minutes. If you're not watching, why are you living?
  • Great game, but too bad we couldn't convert a single chance. We couldn't even hang onto the puck. Congratulations Canada.