This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Steve it's not a fallacy when there are literally no competing voices from any powerful or credible source within the party. Like it or not, conservatives have these items on their slate, put there by their most vocal spokespeople, who go almost entirely unchallenged. If you want fiscal conservatism look to the modern Dem party. The ACA, though it's a significant improvement, is still basically a dirty love letter to insurance companies and their banking masters.
  • So when Billy Graham (or any other well known religious personality) speaks against same sex marriage how should he be described when only one adjective is allowed in the headline? If the person is thumping a bible as the basis of their opposition is it more accurate to use a political or religious descriptive term?
  • HMTKSteve said:

So when Billy Graham (or any other well known religious personality) speaks against same sex marriage how should he be described when only one adjective is allowed in the headline? If the person is thumping a bible as the basis of their opposition is it more accurate to use a political or religious descriptive term?

It depends on the context, although most headline writers don't bother with context. If he's thumping the Bible at some sort of political event, then "conservative" is appropriate, given how that's a trait of social conservatives. If it's a religious event, then "religious" or "fundamentalist" is probably appropriate.
  • If fiscal conservatives weren't ok with the homophobia of social conservatives, maybe they should create their own faction of the Republican Party (much like fiscally conservative Democrats have the "blue dogs.") Last time I heard, socially liberal (or at least, not regressive) Republicans were being beaten in the primaries left and right. See the shoe? See how it fits? See how it's fitting more and more in the past few election cycles?
  • Well, this just makes me sad. I Lost my dad to Fox News. While I haven't lost any close family to Fox News, I know people who otherwise seemed reasonable go down this rabbit hole.
  • If fiscal conservatives weren't ok with the homophobia of social conservatives, maybe they should create their own faction of the Republican Party (much like fiscally conservative Democrats have the "blue dogs.") Last time I heard, socially liberal (or at least, not regressive) Republicans were being beaten in the primaries left and right. See the shoe? See how it fits? See how it's fitting more and more in the past few election cycles?

It exists, sort of. They're typically called "New England Republicans." For the most part, however, they only tend to exist at the local/state level. Once they go national, they often get more caught up in the national across-the-board conservatism.

Sometimes, even at the local level, the inmates start running the asylum (or, at least, the national stuff tarnishes the local brand) though. The best example I can think of is current Rhode Island governor Lincoln Chaffee. His father, John Chaffee, was a long standing Republican senator from RI and Lincoln eventually followed in his footsteps. However, the national GOP brand so tarnished him by association that he lost his most recent senate campaign to Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse. Since then, he quit the GOP, citing how it's over-the-top conservatism no longer reflected either him or his home state's values, became an independent, and won election as governor of RI.
  • edited March 2014

If fiscal conservatives weren't ok with the homophobia of social conservatives, maybe they should create their own faction of the Republican Party (much like fiscally conservative Democrats have the "blue dogs.") Last time I heard, socially liberal (or at least, not regressive) Republicans were being beaten in the primaries left and right. See the shoe? See how it fits? See how it's fitting more and more in the past few election cycles?

It exists, sort of. They're typically called "New England Republicans." For the most part, however, they only tend to exist at the local/state level. Once they go national, they often get more caught up in the national across-the-board conservatism.

Sometimes, even at the local level, the inmates start running the asylum (or, at least, the national stuff tarnishes the local brand) though. The best example I can think of is current Rhode Island governor Lincoln Chaffee. His father, John Chaffee, was a long standing Republican senator from RI and Lincoln eventually followed in his footsteps. However, the national GOP brand so tarnished him by association that he lost his most recent senate campaign to Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse. Since then, he quit the GOP, citing how it's over-the-top conservatism no longer reflected either him or his home state's values, became an independent, and won election as governor of RI.
    That's actually a really good point. Pretty much every example of "socially moderate, fiscally conservative" politicians I can remember have either been local (Romney-as-governer, Lincoln Chaffee, arguably Bloomberg), have been laughed out of contention (poor John Huntsman, I kinda really liked him), or have gone full Libertarian.

EDIT: Speaking of Rhode Island, I heard Buddy Cianci is considering running again, as soon as he's legally allowed to (2014 or 2016, I don't remember). We need more corrupt marinara sauce in politics.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • 2bfree said:

Well, this just makes me sad. I Lost my dad to Fox News. While I haven't lost any close family to Fox News, I know people who otherwise seemed reasonable go down this rabbit hole.

Ahaha Salon is so shitty
  • johndis said:

2bfree said:

Well, this just makes me sad. I Lost my dad to Fox News. While I haven't lost any close family to Fox News, I know people who otherwise seemed reasonable go down this rabbit hole.

Ahaha Salon is so shitty
    So you discount this person's experience because you don't like the website it's posted on?
  • Hmm I'm not really sure what "discounting his experience" would entail honestly. I'm not saying I disbelieve it or anything, but it's just pretty funny to me that its posted on a website that also profits from extreme divisiveness IMO!!
  • EDIT: Speaking of Rhode Island, I heard Buddy Cianci is considering running again, as soon as he's legally allowed to (2014 or 2016, I don't remember). We need more corrupt marinara sauce in politics.

If I lived in Providence, I'd vote for him. Corrupt or not, he was still the best damned mayor that city ever had.
  • If I lived in Providence, I'd vote for him. Corrupt or not, he was still the best damned mayor that city ever had.

I think you mean "corrupt or flamboyantly, ridiculously, give-that-man-an-HBO-show-y corrupt," but I concur wholeheartedly.
  • If I lived in Providence, I'd vote for him. Corrupt or not, he was still the best damned mayor that city ever had.

I think you mean "corrupt or flamboyantly, ridiculously, give-that-man-an-HBO-show-y corrupt," but I concur wholeheartedly.
    I also concur.
  • I was just reading through my union newsletter. What I find interesting is that when the article discusses something they like involving government action they name the President and other Democrats by name. When it is something they oppose they just say "Senate Democrats", "House Democrats" or "this President."
  • Seriously, what's the deal with Republican billionaires comparing inequality talk to Hitler? It's like they all went to the same meeting.
  • 2bfree said:

Seriously, what's the deal with Republican billionaires comparing inequality talk to Hitler? It's like they all went to the same meeting.

I know, right. They should at least compare it to Stalin. :P
  • Looks like Jeb Bush is more likely to run in 2016 than not. After the Christie flameout, I guess he figures he would be crazy not to run.

What's interesting is Hillary running would be the best thing to happen for him. Hard to complain about another Bush running for office when another Clinton is doing so as well.
  • Call me bigoted if you want, but I'd really rather not have a "President Jeb." Maybe if he used the whole word, it'd be different. But he doesn't.
  • Call me bigoted if you want, but I'd really rather not have a "President Jeb." Maybe if he used the whole word, it'd be different. But he doesn't.

• Yeah, but THAT Jeb is an astronaut. At least he's got that. Jeb Bush looks like a cross between George W. Bush and Ted Kennedy.
  • edited June 2014
    Remember, it's a freedom issue, not homophobia. Texas has a long history of staunch support for their citizens' freedom to choose when it comes to medical procedures.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Daikun said:
    Have any straight guys signed up for therapy as a way to get sex?

"Gee lady, I still feel pretty gay. I don't think even the sight of your naked body could turn me straight..."
  • I could swear that the GOP ran on this idea before and then it was exposed as a massive fraud. I suppose I should know better than to expect them to learn at this point.
  • I had to delete a E-mail from my dad lest I responded to it that called Bergdahl as bad as Benedict Arnold...
  • Just reply with the email about how Obama hates the troops because he wasn't doing enough to free Bergdahl that your dad probably sent you in 2011.