This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• The NFL never had the triple option. That was purely a college offense.
  • Why can't the Giants get in an arms race?
  • How much salary cap have they blown on Eli?
  • How much salary cap have they blown on Eli?

It's been worth it. Similar situation to Baltimore. They spent all the money on Flacco, should have given it to Boldin instead.

• I dunno, both times the Giants have won the Superb Owl in recent years (and, heck, I'll say it -- even when they won it under Parcells), it was the defense that won it for them. Eli's main thing was not to screw up early in the game and then pull out the miracle 4th quarter comeback when combined with some freak luck (like "stickum helmets" and such).
  • I dunno, both times the Giants have won the Superb Owl in recent years (and, heck, I'll say it -- even when they won it under Parcells), it was the defense that won it for them. Eli's main thing was not to screw up early in the game and then pull out the miracle 4th quarter comeback when combined with some freak luck (like "stickum helmets" and such).

I agree. But it was still worth it. You think Philip Rivers would have gotten the job done?
  • Apreche said:

I dunno, both times the Giants have won the Superb Owl in recent years (and, heck, I'll say it -- even when they won it under Parcells), it was the defense that won it for them. Eli's main thing was not to screw up early in the game and then pull out the miracle 4th quarter comeback when combined with some freak luck (like "stickum helmets" and such).

I agree. But it was still worth it. You think Philip Rivers would have gotten the job done?
    Nope, but 1990 Jeff Hostetler could have with those defenses, and you probably could find someone roughly as good as he was for a lot cheaper than Eli. :)

Eli is definitely better than Rivers though -- no doubt. Rivers makes too many dumb mistakes during all 4 quarters. Eli generally stops making dumb mistakes before the 4th quarter.
  • Apreche said:

I dunno, both times the Giants have won the Superb Owl in recent years (and, heck, I'll say it -- even when they won it under Parcells), it was the defense that won it for them. Eli's main thing was not to screw up early in the game and then pull out the miracle 4th quarter comeback when combined with some freak luck (like "stickum helmets" and such).

Nope, but 1990 Jeff Hostetler could have with those defenses, and you probably could find someone roughly as good as he was for a lot cheaper than Eli. :)

Eli is definitely better than Rivers though -- no doubt. Rivers makes too many dumb mistakes during all 4 quarters. Eli generally stops making dumb mistakes before the 4th quarter.
    Well, at the time they needed a QB, there were only two choices. Eli and Rivers. History shows they made the right choice. He can have his moneys. We'll draft the defense back into quality soon enough. Kinda wish we had sucked more this year so we could be down for the clown(ey).

• I loved this

• Management just granted liberal leave usage for tomorrow's parade. If I wanted, I could take the entire day off. I think I'll just leave at 10 to get a good spot, walk up two blocks and chill. It's going to be off the hook!
  • That is the greatest. WNBA is way below college football, MLS, minor league baseball and even the AHL. I am forever surprised it still exists and has continued to exist for so long.
  • Heh, since we're throwing in college football, the University of Washington Huskies (the University of Washington is in Seattle) won the national championship in 1991.
  • Terry McAuley, preventor of botched coin tosses.

• Arms race in the AFC with the Broncos and the Patriots!

Several Seahawks have left. Most of the defense went to Jacksonville, which is amusing because it's back with their previous defensive coach, Gus Bradley.

The only Seahawks loss that makes me sad is losing Red Bryant. Other than that, I think they'll still be fine.
  • Rochelle said:

The only Seahawks loss that makes me sad is losing Red Bryant. Other than that, I think they'll still be fine.

Well, yeah, they still have Blue, Green, Pink and White Bryant, that's still enough to form the Seahawkzord.

• I'm more of a Rainbow Bryant fan.
  • Revis > Talib.
  • Fuck you Matt Dodge. Burn in hell.
  • edited March 2014
    Competition Committee announces new rule, bylaw proposals.
    Article said:

Rule change proposals:
    1. Move the kickoff to the 40-yard line.

2. Expand instant replay to include personal foul penalties.

3. Eliminate overtime in the preseason.

4. Extend the goal posts an additional five feet above the cross bar.

5. Move the line of scrimmage for one-point extra point kicks to the defensive team’s 25-yard line. Two-point conversion attempts would still be snapped from the 2-yard line.

6. Put six cameras on all boundary lines — sideline, goal line, end line, to guarantee coverage for replay reviews.

7. Permit a coach to challenge any official’s decision, except scoring plays which are automatically reviewed.

8. Protect players from getting the sides of their legs rolled up on — the rule already says a blocker can’t hit an opponent in the back of the legs, this proposal will add “or side” to the rule.

9. Allow the referee to consult with members of the NFL officiating department during replay reviews. The referee would be able to speak with the command center in New York to help in reviewing a play.

10. Re-organize the rules about what can be reviewed and what cannot be reviewed, including making the recovery of a loose ball in the field of play reviewable. (This is referred to as the NaVorro Bowman rule, after a controversial call in the NFC Championship Game.)

11. Don’t stop the clock on a sack.

12. Modify pass interference so that it can be called within one yard of the line of scrimmage.

13. Enforce defensive fouls behind the line of scrimmage from the previous spot, rather than from the end of the run or from the spot of the foul.

Bylaw proposals:

1. Raise the number of active players on game day from 46 to 49 for regular-season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday, excluding Week One.

2. Raise the practice squad limit from eight players to 10 players.

3. Permit clubs to trade players prior to the start of the league year.

4. Eliminate the cut-down to 75 players during training camp and instead just have one cut-down from 90 players to 53 players.

5. Permit more than one player to return to the active list from injured reserve so that any player on injured reserve could return after six weeks.

6. Permit each club to time and test up to 10 draft-eligible players at its facility, and allow any club that wishes to attend timing and testing at another team’s facility.

7. Adjust the time of the roster reduction from 53 after the fourth preseason game from 6 p.m. Eastern to 4 p.m. Eastern. All teams would have to have their list of final cuts in by 4 p.m.

Resolution proposal:

1. Permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime, instead of having to determine at the start of the game whether it is open or closed

Edit: I'm definitely for 6 & 10. SF should have gotten the ball after the Bowman injury.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • 5. Move the line of scrimmage for one-point extra point kicks to the defensive team’s 25-yard line. Two-point conversion attempts would still be snapped from the 2-yard line.
    I quite like this one.
  • All of them are pretty good.
  • I don't know about the 42 yard extra point. If they're going to change it, I would just rather have all two point conversions. Make it one point if you want. A 42 yarder is still pretty high percentage for pros.
  • Earlier, for the Pro Bowl rules discussion I said:

No rushing on a field goal attempt. Because, well, why bother? Just stupid action for the sake of the a mistake that almost never happens. I wasn't clear about what happens in the event of that mistake, but I'm guessing possession goes to the defending team.

So if the one point conversion is way longer, I wouldn't mind rushing on this. My problem now that I think about it more is that I have seen fake one point conversions that turned out to be two point conversions. If the distance for them is different, it'll be clear in dance what is going on.

• No rushing on a field goal attempt. Because, well, why bother?

Even if they don't actually block the kick, putting pressure on the kicking unit affects the kick a ton. You notice how kickoffs often go out the back of the end zone? That's from their own 35. FG block attempts force the kicker to get the kick off quickly and at a high angle. That's worth something.
  • That was answered in the same way back in the thread.
  • Earlier, for the Pro Bowl rules discussion I said:

No rushing on a field goal attempt. Because, well, why bother? Just stupid action for the sake of the a mistake that almost never happens. I wasn't clear about what happens in the event of that mistake, but I'm guessing possession goes to the defending team.

So if the one point conversion is way longer, I wouldn't mind rushing on this. My problem now that I think about it more is that I have seen fake one point conversions that turned out to be two point conversions. If the distance for them is different, it'll be clear in dance what is going on.

This would also eliminate the rare-but-awesome fake field goal play!

To answer your questions about what happens on field goal mistakes, it becomes a live ball once it's loose. It's even a live ball if the kick goes off, but is just way short and lands out in no-mans-land. Big scramble and crazy return potential.

• That was answered in the same way back in the thread.

Yeah, I think by me.
  • In the past the Eagles have always viewed a criminal record as a positive for player resumes. Apparently, that's now changed. Welp, good for us G-Men!