This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Halloween whatnots.

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
Halloween is coming up, and so the obligatory thread pops up.

What are your plans for this Halloween?

If you choose to wear one, what costume are you wearing (pic?)

What stories do you have from past Halloweens?

What's the best candy that you've ever been given (or given out) on a Halloween?

Pranks? ;-)

Comments

• This is my friend Paul from last year:

He's running a contest this year where the winner gets to trick or treat with a member of the 501st.
  • edited October 2007
    That looks like the demon guy played by Tim Curry in Legend. Freaky costume.

I, myself, am going to be sitting on my butt at my computer telling my boyfriend to answer the door for the trick-or-treaters. My Halloweens haven't really been noteworthy, although, I finally dressed up last year and went to a party dressed up in a toga. If I could dress up in any costume, I would go as Yoshi, however, I can only imagine that costume being really really warm.

Best candy? Hmmm: I remember trick or treating when I lived in Germany and I was given Kinder chocolate. Some of the best chocolate I've had to date.

Worst candy? Pencils. There was always this one house on the block that gave pencils every year. One year my smart ass brother said to them, "MMM! Pencils! My favorite!" The old couple gave us dirty looks, we went off to other houses. The next morning they found pencils stuck in their lawn. Cheap bastards.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Halloween this year is going to be composed of me working the front desk at my college dorm. I offered to work for someone who is very nice and wanted the day off. I get to see all of the residents walk by in costume, so it should be more interesting then a normal day behind the desk swiping access cards.

I have for the past 2 years made, in my mind, great jack-o-lanterns. I made a strong bad (homestarrunner.com) Jack-o-lantern and a Jack-o-lantern of the Bacardi bat. Someone seemed to dislike the Strong bad one for less then an hour after I put it outside my door someone stomped the hell out of it, and last year someone stole the Bacardi bat in just two hours.

I guess I should be happy that someone liked it so much they stole it instead of stomping it... but then again I really do enjoy having a Jack-o-lantern out for more then a few hours. Maybe this year will be different.

I have yet to decide what I will make, but will need to make the decision today. Any suggestions? I may do Mario, Bowser, or Zoidberg.

I haven't trick or treated in so long... but the best candy was from my own house. My parents always bought candy for 50+ kids, and we usually got around 5 the whole night. It was just an excuse to get tons of Reese's cups and not feel bad about eating them for a month.
  • Oooh Zoidberg sounds cool, however I'm all about Mario, or better yet, Yoshi! You should definitely post pics when you are done with your pumpkin carving.
  • Saddly I do not own a digital camera, but maybe I can get a resident to send me one... before and after it gets smashed. *Sigh*
  • Not even a cell phone camera? They are somewhat decent in taking pics.
  • I have no way of taking the data off my phone. (No text messaging, and USB wire is busted) So I can always treasure the memory, but showing others is hard.
  • I have no way of taking the data off my phone. (No text messaging, and USB wire is busted) So I can always treasure the memory, but showing others is hard.
    You're at a college, they have scanners. There are people there who have digital cameras. Digital cameras are also stupidly cheap, and really crappy ones can be had for almost no money.
  • Last year I was a ghostbuster.

The best story I can think of right now is walking to a girl dressed as a cop and trying to convince her to arrest me for being too good looking.
  • edited October 2007
    For this year's costume, I decided to take 34 (or so) full packages of top ramen, and duct tape them into a cape-like thing. It's reversible, so it's either a bastardized cape of sorts, or the front plate of
    The Ramen Samurai's armor.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Digital cameras are also stupidly cheap
    I know... I know. I'm sorry Scott, I have let geek nights down. *Runs off crying*

I will eventually pick one up. Never really had a reason to. I'm not much of a photographer, but it couldn't hurt to have one. I am quite sick of having to borrow a camera off of my friends.
  • Digital cameras are also stupidly cheap
    I know... I know. I'm sorry Scott, I have let geek nights down. *Runs off crying*

I will eventually pick one up. Never really had a reason to. I'm not much of a photographer, but it couldn't hurt to have one. I am quite sick of having to borrow a camera off of my friends.
    Cheapness
  • I think I'm being Inspector Gadget for Halloween. (pics will be up eventually) We still have to get the coat... but if not, I think I'm being a Mexican. Or Leprecon. Maybe put those hands together? (My Mexi-Irish powers will win)
  • We don't have Halloween! :D Instead we have 11 November. (only in the north, in the south of the Netherlands they have Carnaval... typically southern festivities, Frissians are to level-headed for that stuff) but anyways, on said 11 November kids go from door to door with lanterns (most bought in the store for a euro) and sing songs and expect to get candy for it in return. It gets worse when the annoying kids from the street next to ours come along. They shout instead of sing, and are awefully arrogant and cocky.

And Scott, what's wrong with those digital cameras, I mean, one cent?!?
  • edited October 2007
    Last year I went trick or treating as Sky Pirate Viga (I made it up :P) with my friends Sexy Witch, Goth boy, Werewolf and a Catgirl. We took 3 kids and kinda used them as an excuse for college aged people to go trick or treating, tee hee. We had more of our posse join us and then commenced some egging. Yeah, I know, them darn punk kids.

At school some people dress up. (Well mostly anime club anyway) Plus the BAMN club has a go go at the student center.

This year I will probably just go home and give out candy. Last year will probably be my last time trick or treating ever. I will miss that since I'm getting older.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I don't think I'm going trick-or-treating this year, but I'm definitely dressing up. I have my DMV appointment (driving test) on Wednesday, so I'm going as Speed Racer. I hope, in the very least, it cheers up some poor DMV employee to see me walk in there in the full regalia.

As for candy, I found I don't really eat it anymore. I'll get some chocolate now and again, but I've developed a strong distaste for American candies.
  • My boyfriend and I went to a party as Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World. We didn't win any prizes but we did get a lot of kudos.
  • I'm too cheep and lazy to do any good costumes, but last year I had a super awful costume of Mikel Jackson. And this year I'm going as a similar type of person, a priest.

My brother is the one who has made some awesome costumes in the past. Unfortunately I have no pics, but I do have a story. Last year he went as a demon, and while walking in the Halloween Parade in downtown Manhattan there was a preaching guy with a sign and giving the whole "JESUS WILL FOGIVE" speech. So my bro went up to him, as the demon, and said in a demonic voice, "You cannot save them from me!" The preacher hit my brother with the sign he was holding. But it was OK, because some of the red paint that was on my brother's face came off onto the sign. That, and my brother then stole all his flier's and ran.
  • I has a pumpkin. Can you guess the Pokemon?

And with the lights out.

• I has a pumpkin. Can you guess the Pokemon?
    *bows at mad pumpkin skillz* VOLTORB!!! You make my pumpkin seem pathetic in comparison. T__T

Usually my friends and I just go trick-or-treating to stock up on candy supplies for the next month. This year I am costuming as Alice from Resident Evil.
    I HOPE I GET LOTS OF REESE'S THIS YEAR!!! *Reese's addict*
  • Happy Halloween! I'm throwing on a kitty hat and going to school. Not much but still fun.
  • At work today, my department is having a Pajama Party Potluck. So I came into work today wearing my bf's plaid flannel pj pants, my fuzzy socks, fuzzy slippers, and comfy shirt. I'm so comfy I could honestly fall asleep at my desk. I might have to take a nap after partaking in mountains of yummy potluck food. It's pretty cool being able to have most of your coworkers be laid back and be able to have fun every now and then.
  • I was infamous at RIT Anime for my, shall we say, "excellent" costumes.

I remember hearing about them in some podcasts. I'm sure many of us would like to see pics of them!

I remember hearing about them in some podcasts. I'm sure many of us would like to see pics of them!
    I second that. Pics!

I second that. Pics!
    Thus the people chant "Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics!"

I second that. Pics!
    Thus the people chant "Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics!"
    *chants along*
    And not pictures from a great distance! The costumes looked decent from distance you said.
  • *bows at mad pumpkin skillz* VOLTORB!!!
    Fail. It's Electrode.
  • *bows at mad pumpkin skillz* VOLTORB!!!
    Fail. It's Electrode.
    *bows in shame* I fail.