This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Back in the day Jojo's was very strange. When you went to anime cons there was this one tiny weird company that sold Jojo's, and that was the only thing they sold. Very few people cared.

Over the past year or so I have seen the popularity of it increasing slowly but steadily. First I saw people reading the manga scanslations. Then the new anime came out and people were watching it. Then I saw the characters being very popular on SaltyBet, and the bettors recognized them. I've even seen videos of Netrunner players in other parts of the country who are talking about their favorite stands in-between games.

Now Crunchyroll is about to stream all the Jojo's. This shit is about to explode. It started in 1986, and it took until 2014. Prepare yourself. The cosplays, fanarts, and rest of the community is going to be all over it.

Comments

• I mean, in Japan it exploded a long time ago. It just seems to be one of those things that didn't really cross over to the US.
  • I mean, in Japan it exploded a long time ago. It just seems to be one of those things that didn't really cross over to the US.

The time has come. I'm calling it.

• Yeah. Some of the otaku at my school are pretty hype about it.
  • There has always been hype. You just needed to know where to look.
  • ThatGent said:

There has always been hype. You just needed to know where to look.

That's the point I'm making. You're not going to have to look nearly as hard. The hype is quickly escaping and getting itself all over everybody.

• edited April 2014
    Dream come true for me, just waiting for Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and I'll pretty much be set! :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Excellent. Maybe now I can get that Iggy plushie I've always wanted. ;)
  • Do I have to have seen JoJo's one and two to understand JoJo's three, or can I jump right in?
  • Greg said:

Do I have to have seen JoJo's one and two to understand JoJo's three, or can I jump right in?

Not really. Part one explains who Dio is and where he came from, but all you need to know is that Dio is evil immortal vampire and that much is told in the first episode of this season. And part 2 shows Joseph's bizarre adventures in his youth, but there is no real need to know about those.

• Greg said:

Do I have to have seen JoJo's one and two to understand JoJo's three, or can I jump right in?

Here's the entire plot of the first three JoJo's: "Dio's a dick. Let's punch him a lot. No, that's not enough. Punch him more."

Three (Stardust Crusaders) is even more independent from the other two than the other two are to each other. It completely abandons a significant amount of the old lore (The Ripple, mostly) and starts you off with a new protagonist starting a new team.
  • Stardust Crusaders actually marks the thrilling conclusion to the story about what happens to that man's Sony Walkman.