This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Crimean War

124»

Comments

• I do not fully understand why Putin is playing this game the way he is.

Well, we know who isn't reading the book club selections. Putin == Nicosar.
  • Apreche said:

I do not fully understand why Putin is playing this game the way he is.

Well, we know who isn't reading the book club selections. Putin == Nicosar.
    What are you talking about? You guys are still doing the podcast? ;)

• Get this, apparently the Ottoman Empire and Russia signed a treaty when the Ottomans handed Crimea over to the Russians that stipulated if Crimea ever voted for independence it would be returned to them. Since this just happened, it's now technically possible for Turkey to say that Russia has invaded their territory, declare Article 5 of the NATO treaty, and BAM! The US is now at war with Russia.

Not that it'd ever happen though.
    TURKEY: Under Ottoman Empire treaty with Catherine the Great if Crimea declares independence it returns to Turkey

The Turkish newspaper Hürriyet reports that if the Autonomous Republic of Crimea announces its independence, then it falls under Turkish rule. This is being reported by ipress.ua with reference to Espresso TV.

Based on what the author of the article wrote, this is confirmed by the agreement which was signed 230 years ago by the Ottoman and Russian empires.

According to the agreement, signed by the the Russian empress Catherine the Great on April 19, 1783, the Crimean peninsula will pass from the Ottoman empire to the Russian empire.

“However, one of the most important points is the clause that stipulates conditions that if the peninsula does not declare its independence then it cannot be transferred to a third party. Otherwise, Crimea must automatically be returned under the aegis of Turkey,” claims the author.

He notes that in 1991, after the collapse of the USSR and the emergence of an independent Ukraine, Turkey has already had the formal right to reclaim Crimea.

“However, the Turkish government, then led by Turgut Ozal, given the geopolitical changes in northern Turkey and changes in the general world economic situation, did not defend that position. Turkey limited itself to demanding that the rights of Crimean Tatars, living as a minority in Crimea, be restored,” the author quotes from the publication of the Crimean Tatar agency QHA.

But if you want to join Crimea to Russia, it is necessary for it to first officially declare independence from Kyiv. “And in that moment, if all norms of international governance are followed, Turkey can announce: “I’m taking control of Crimea,” the author concluded.
  • Wow. Old politics get weird.
  • Their knowledge of Ukranian geography is weak.
  • Does no one play Risk anymore???
  • I'm impressed by the people who thought it was in the US.
  • Greg said:

I'm impressed by the people who thought it was in the US.

I'm more impressed at the people who thought Australia. I mean, seriously, we're one of the most visually distinct countries on the planet by virtue of being just a massive single-country landmass, and some dopey pricks are still going "Nah mate recon that's where this you-crane joint is."
  • There is credible evidence that the election results were not published correctly.

http://politics.slashdot.org/story/14/05/06/1518234/actual-results-of-crimean-secession-vote-leaked

"According to the blog post, which has since been taken down, only 30% of Crimeans participated in the vote instead of the 83% participation officially advertised by Russia, and of that 30% only half voted for secession, which means that 15% of all Crimeans voted for secession rather than the 82% officially reported by Russia. "
  • A blog post that has been taken down is credible evidence?
  • Andrew said:

A blog post that has been taken down is credible evidence?

There is a lot of related circumstantial evidence about non-participation in the referendum.
  • Who is this new Rym that puts such weight on circumstantial evidence?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Who is this new Rym that puts such weight on circumstantial evidence?

That's the only evidence we have of what's happening in Ukraine right now. Speculation and circumstantial evidence.

• Aaaaaand there's the link to a Forbes post. The real question is what is more trustworthy: Forbes or some random guys blog? Trick question! They are the same thing.
  • Matt said:

Aaaaaand there's the link to a Forbes post. The real question is what is more trustworthy: Forbes or some random guys blog? Trick question! They are the same thing.

At this point they are as they both refer to the same source material.
  • Well, yeah, but it seems that every time something big goes down involving Russia of late, at least one member of RT English will quit, citing dodgy editorial control and lying to viewers.
  • You gotta love how Russia Today, in much of its advertising, just refers to itself is "RT." It's as if they don't want people to know who they really are.
  • You gotta love how Russia Today, in much of its advertising, just refers to itself is "RT." It's as if they don't want people to know who they really are.

Rooster Teeth?
  • Maybe all of their news is just retweets.
  • They have some slick looking commercials though... They seem to love to advertise on competing news networks as well (which makes me wonder why their competitors let them advertise there).