This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

edited October 2007 in Anime
Is anyone other than me watching this?

I love this show, it is good on so many levels.

Comments

• I've been slacking on watching the new episodes, but I love the show.
  • I started watching the television show while I was just browsing the television. I stopped on Nickelodeon remembering old television shows I grew up on. Avatar was on next and I was stunned thinking, "How come I never heard of this anime?"

Quickly I learned that it was made in America. I quickly felt that the fire prince Zuko's story was very compelling (it starts off very black and white, but quickly turns into a beautiful story). Though it is quite elementary, it reminds me that there are still "deep" shows for children on Nick.

I watched the first 2 seasons since I have had a nearly unlimited amount of free time at my work. I guess I can call myself a fan of the show, but I don't see me going out any time soon and buying the merchandise to advertise I enjoy the show to that degree.

I can not wait (speculation on my part) until Zuko and the Avatar completely join forces. I hope it will be uplifting, and though I can see some kind of sacrifice for the common good at the end on Aang's part.

I think Avatar is a great kids show that has enough of a structure so an adult as well as a child can follow the story and take something from it.
  • I keep wondering what happened the night when Zuko's father rose to power (Iroh was next in line to become FireLord). To top it all off Zuko's mother also vanished when his father became FireLord.
  • I thought it looked kind of dumb, so I avoided it.
  • edited October 2007

I thought it looked kind of dumb, so I avoided it.

Heh it is what it is... a show for kids. I think its much better then other shows that are geared toward the same audience. Though nothing I have ever seen tops Bill Nye as a children's show.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • edited October 2007
    I've been watching the new episodes and they are great. At first I avoided the show for a while but one Sunday on Nick they were airing a marathin of the 2nd season and I was hooked.
    Post edited by Double Z on
  • Avatar is a wonderful show that I believe is much MUCH more than a simple American imitation of a Shounen Anime series. It has a fairly compelling story, it doesn't plod, the fight scenes are engaging. I'm overall quite impressed about the series as a whole!
  • I originally wrote off the show when I had heard of it, and saw some images of it, but after I started watching it I got pulled into it. It's managed to become better over time, starting out rather kiddy, but its really matured and become pretty deep.

And I completely agreed with Sniper about the fight scenes. They aren't cheesy, or shonen anime like. They are realistic (for the world,) and fairly compelling.

I think that a lot of what makes the show great maybe because it's on a "kiddy" channel. So being forced to not be able to show things, forced them to become more creative when it came to doing certain things that normally would be in this type of show but couldn't be because of the network.
  • Yeah, I wrote it off too, but a lot of my friends have been saying how great it is. Maybe I'll netflix it. If it's not on netflix, it's not worth my time.
  • I didn't notice it, saw an ep, liked it. Sadly I barely watch TV, and if I do Avatar's not on. Renting/downloading perhaps.
  • I watched the first season and most of the second (save the very last episode, ha) on Youtube. I enjoy the show, but it's not without its flaws... Sometimes the characters behave very strangely simply in order to move the plot along. Still an enjoyable show though. I might pick up the DVDs some time.
  • I really adore Avatar, but I prefer to watch it on DVD... That's how I watched the first season. I'm waiting for the second to come out so I can rent it, and same with the third.

You can see that there's actually going to be an end, though. There is only 4 elementals, and each 'book' (season) is named after an elemental. Thus, only 4 seasons. So, it's not like "Ugh, there'll be 50 seasons and it'll be sucky but I'll keep watching just in the hopes it'll get better....".

Hate watching it on TV though. I hate commercials.
  • edited October 2007
    You can see that there's actually going to be an end, though. There is only 4 elementals, and each 'book' (season) is named after an elemental. Thus, only 4 seasons. So, it's not like "Ugh, there'll be 50 seasons and it'll be sucky but I'll keep watching just in the hopes it'll get better....".
    Actually there are only 3 seasons. Book of Fire is the last one. They don't need to do Book of Air since... well there are no other airbenders, and Aang already knew how to airbend at the start of the series.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • Actually there are only 3 seasons.
    Is that actually confirmed by an official source? I had assumed 4 seasons as well... Just because there's no airbenders around and Aang can already airbend doesn't mean the last season can't be about...bringing the airbenders back? Defeating the true enemy? Being totally awesome?
  • edited October 2007
    To me, the show ends once Aang defeats the Fire Lord. Anything after that will just be clean-up stuff.

They could just do a single episode and call it "Book 4: Air" and cover everything that happens after he defeats the Fire Lord and restores balance to the world.

Who knows, they may drag it out to a fourth season and add in a ton more back story.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • What if they defeat the Fire Lord at the end of Book 3 and find out he's not the real problem? Then Book 4 would be completely necessary. That isn't to say that I want the plot to go that way but unless there has been an official statement saying that there will be only 3 books then it's possible that there's a lot more material to get through yet.

I like the idea of the last book being a single episode. That would be appropriate.
  • I wouldn't mind that either. Still; you know there's an end, whether it'll be 3 seasons or 4. =3
  • Season 4 will probably be after he defeats the Fire Lord, and will include Aang and Zuko rebuilding the Air temples, as well as the other four nations from their post-war states. It'll probably climax with a final heroic sacrifice by either Aang or Zuko. At least, that's what I think will happen.
  • Season 4 will probably be after he defeats the Fire Lord, and will include Aang and Zuko rebuilding the Air temples, as well as the other four nations from their post-war states. It'll probably climax with a final heroic sacrifice by either Aang or Zuko. At least, that's what I think will happen.
    That sounds like a boring season. I would like to see Iroh given his throne back, the one his brother stole from him. I also want to know what Zuko's father did to knock Iroh out of the line of succession.
  • I thought it looked kind of dumb, so I avoided it.

Yeah...I thought the same thing about Trauma Center: Under the Knife on DS but that turned out to be fantastic. What little Avatar I've seen has been highly enjoyable.

I'd also like to point out that you should never underestimate the power of profit. Someone will really have to stick to their guns to not continue Avatar past a sensible stopping point, since...so long as it makes money...Nick will keep forking over the dough.
  • I can't find a source for it, but I'm very sure I heard that there were only going to be three seasons.

But there are only going to be three live action movies, with each one being one book of the show.
  • Out of curiosity I just did a bit of searching on wikipedia and followed through the references. It seems the current story arc finishes at the end of Season 3 but they have ideas for the future of Avatar. Specific Wikipedia Reference...follow Footnote 11 if you care enough
  • Well they could always do another story arc with the next Avatar, or another one all together.
  • The way I envision it, the end of book 3, aang will have jus finished learning fire bending and book 4 will be the entire war. It shall be entitled "Book Four: Kick Ass". Or, at least, that's what I really want to happen.
  • Which episode is going to show this Friday?
  • I think the first ten weeks are all new eps.
  • I know that, but which episode is going to be shown on Friday, specifically?
  • I know that, but which episode is going to be shown on Friday, specifically?
    Do they ever tell beforehand?
  • Check TV Guide online.
  • I love Avatar a lot, even more then a some anime. Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping up with the newer seasons. It's interesting how every once in a while Nick will come out with something totally awesome like Avatar or Invader Zim.