This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX South 2015

RymRym
edited April 2014 in Conventions
PAX South 2015 overlaps with MAGFest January 23-26 in San Antonio.

Hate to have to choose, but I think GeekNights will be there and not at MAGFest...
Post edited by Rym on

Comments

• There are like seven paxes a year and only one MAGFest and you still pick Pax over mag?
  • Why is MAGFest so late this year?!
  • Apparently other January weekends were unavailable.

I will go to MAGFest. Still haven't been to a PAX. But MAGFest.
  • Hmmm, San Antonio is closer than east coast.
  • edited April 2014
    Rochelle said:

Hmmm, San Antonio is closer than east coast.

And the Northwest.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited April 2014
    Double post for no reason.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Why do I have the feeling I am not going to see a bunch of forum peeps at MAGfest this year.
  • I'll be there. I have no real desire to go halfway across the country for a PAX.
  • If I go to any PAXes, it'd be East and MAYBE Prime if I was lucky. Since I like live music more than tabletop gaming, MAGFest is more my thing anyways.
  • I'd go to PAX Austin, but I don't want to go to San Antonio...
  • edited April 2014
    Ill be going to Magfest for sure, I had too much fun last year to not go. However the the friend I shared the hotel room with last year won't be able to make it due other plans. At least I have 3/4th of a year to try to wrangle someone else to go.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • MAGFest hands down.

PAX South can kiss JAMSPACE goodbye.
  • The first MAGFest that's not too close to New Year's for me to go! Too bad, PAX South.
  • Magfest rules!
  • My major hangup is that flying out of New England in winter can be damn iffy.
  • okeefe said:

My major hangup is that flying out of New England in winter can be damn iffy.

Just do what Yuyuke and I do and drive.
  • Meh, I'm gonna go to the con that's down the road (MAGfest).
  • okeefe said:

My major hangup is that flying out of New England in winter can be damn iffy.

January 24th of this year was the great invisible snowstorm of 2014 that shut down Houston. Hopefully itty bitty icicles won't shut down PAX next year.

• I live in DC and will likely choose MAGFest as a result. The decision would be a lot tougher if it weren't so close.
  • I met some MAGFest staff (who I won't name) at the con. They were amazingly bitchy about the overlap, and told me at great length how this is "PAX trying to take over gaming" and "PAX trying to destroy MAGFest." They also greatly misunderstood the demographics of paxes compared to magfest, claiming that most magfest attendees fly in from far away (which is patently not true: magfest is mostly locals).
  • Yea, I don't think MAGfest has any reason to be concerned with a convention half way across the country. Just as Anime Boston barely was effected by PAX east being in the same city!

In fact just having it brought up in decision with conflicting with PAX South is probably good for them on a publicity front because it's always good to hear people debate the merits of two fun conventions.

However Magfest clearly takes the top spot in my book, You just can't get that experience anywhere else at the moment.
  • Rym said:

I met some MAGFest staff (who I won't name) at the con. They were amazingly bitchy about the overlap, and told me at great length how this is "PAX trying to take over gaming" and "PAX trying to destroy MAGFest." They also greatly misunderstood the demographics of paxes compared to magfest, claiming that most magfest attendees fly in from far away (which is patently not true: magfest is mostly locals).

I think I know who you are referring to. As much as I am a mag supporter I know the con is 90% locals while a few do come in from elsewhere.
  • Cremlian said:

You just can't get that experience anywhere else at the moment.

The concerts alone! I love PAX, but man do they suck at concert mixing.
  • Also, MAGfest is cheap, and PAX is expensive.
  • I imagine PAX South will be a pretty similar experience to the first and second PAX Easts plus Texas thrown in. MAGFest is probably a better choice for anyone looking for a party that lives closer to MAGFest.

That being said, there is only one first PAX South. MAGFest is every year.
  • There is also only one second PAX South, and only one third PAX South.
  • There is also only one second PAX South, and only one third PAX South.

Firsts are different than others. Also, this is probably the only year that PAX South and MAGFest will overlap. In 2016 I can go to both!

• I'll most likely be going to PAX South