This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• Can you buy the draft pack? I think I will get one if I can since we don't play much any more and it would allow us to make a cube.
  • Apreche said:

Scott, what's your opinion on Caprice?

At least on paper, she is amazing. So far I've only actually encountered her in a game twice. One time they intentionally didn't rez it, and I just trashed it. At the tournament today, someone put it on R&D with a huge stack of ICE, so I just ignored R&D and won elsewhere. We ended up playing the psi game once, and I lost.

I'll be making some decks with her soon, and I'll see how she works from that angle.
    So your playgroup is OK with her? Just so much backlash against the variance she can produce. Even being unique and only on one server. But yeah, just chuck her on R&D with 1 or 2 pieces of ICE and watch the runner cry.
  • Neocloud said:

Can you buy the draft pack? I think I will get one if I can since we don't play much any more and it would allow us to make a cube.

So it's not a single draft pack. You have to first buy draft starters. Those are $5. You only need to buy one per player ever. Then there are corp and runner draft packs. Each one has 40 cards which are considered to be four "boosters" of 10 cards each. You need one of each pack per player. These are $10

If you want to be able to draft infinity times with four players you would need 4x Draft Starters, 4x Draft Runners and 4x Draft corps. That would be $95. Then what you do is you open all the corp and runner draft packs and carefully write down their contents in order. That way you can rebuild them after you draft. You might be able to vary them up a bit by keeping the "boosters" together, and mixing them up each time you draft again.

Draft Netrunner is not regular Netrunner. Watch the videos I posted on YouTube to see how the draft goes and how the games are different.

Apreche said:

Scott, what's your opinion on Caprice?

At least on paper, she is amazing. So far I've only actually encountered her in a game twice. One time they intentionally didn't rez it, and I just trashed it. At the tournament today, someone put it on R&D with a huge stack of ICE, so I just ignored R&D and won elsewhere. We ended up playing the psi game once, and I lost.

I'll be making some decks with her soon, and I'll see how she works from that angle.
    So your playgroup is OK with her? Just so much backlash against the variance she can produce. Even being unique and only on one server. But yeah, just chuck her on R&D with 1 or 2 pieces of ICE and watch the runner cry.
    The NYC Netrunner community opinions and meta are not in line with the general consensus of the Internet on most topics. A lot of people joke about Alexfrog like he's some sort of Netrunner villain. There are also no whiners in our community. You will not hear anyone talk about anything being OP or unfair.

If someone in NYC rezzes Caprice, the most likely response you will hear is "Ooooooh Caprice! Let's play dat Psi game!"

Actually, there is one guy who whines about Account Siphon sometimes, but that's it. I swear.
  • edited March 2014
    Nice. As I only play casually with friends, it doesn't worry us at all. It's just a game :) Be interesting to see how dominant she may become though (in the tournament scene).
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Today is the store championships, my second time playing since the plugged in tour. Haven't looked at my decks since then.

Let's win this.
  • ThatGent said:

Today is the store championships, my second time playing since the plugged in tour. Haven't looked at my decks since then.

Let's win this.

Welp, it depends on your store. A lot of stores don't have strong player bases, and someone who is just good at games can take a win. I know some NY players who have won out in NJ, Long Island, or other places where the competition is not as fierce.
  • The place gets a major influx from the chicago player base when major tournaments occur, otherwise I make up 50-100% of the Netrunner community in a Magic dominated area.
  • Apreche said:

Neocloud said:

Can you buy the draft pack? I think I will get one if I can since we don't play much any more and it would allow us to make a cube.

So it's not a single draft pack. You have to first buy draft starters. Those are $5. You only need to buy one per player ever. Then there are corp and runner draft packs. Each one has 40 cards which are considered to be four "boosters" of 10 cards each. You need one of each pack per player. These are $10

If you want to be able to draft infinity times with four players you would need 4x Draft Starters, 4x Draft Runners and 4x Draft corps. That would be $95. Then what you do is you open all the corp and runner draft packs and carefully write down their contents in order. That way you can rebuild them after you draft. You might be able to vary them up a bit by keeping the "boosters" together, and mixing them up each time you draft again.

Draft Netrunner is not regular Netrunner. Watch the videos I posted on YouTube to see how the draft goes and how the games are different.
    Oh, okay, I thought it was just some neutral types of corp cards, and runner cards, and then you could draft from the normal pool of cards without influence restrictions. $95 is a bit of an investment to get back into the game. I think we may just try to sell what we have and be done with it... As it is, we are a few (3-5) data packs behind as it is. I was just looking for a way to be able to build random runner and corp decks.
  • They changed/fixed the tournament rules. They aren't perfect, but they are still vastly improved. They may be as good as they can be for Netrunner. Very pleased.
  • Lukas says Tennin Institute can advance runner cards, and itself.

Well, that's weird. Still have no idea whether you can Trick of Light off of your identity, even though there's a ruling sourced to Lukas that says "no".
  • The rulings for this game continue to be completely fucked. Write words on cards better!
  • If MtG is any indication, we only have to put up with about 15 more years of bullshit card templating and major rules changes before it normalizes somewhere. :P
  • edited May 2014
    More Lunar Cycle spoilers at http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4802

Blue Sun makes Knight sad. Parasite, too, for anyone who actually installs parasites and leaves them on the table.

Or Oversight AI Curtain Wall, then put it back in HQ. 13 credits!

Maybe just keep recurring the same Adonis Campaign until it gets trashed.
    Post edited by pence on
  • Apreche said:

The rulings for this game continue to be completely fucked. Write words on cards better!

It's Fantasy Flight. I'm surprised the cards are ONLY this bad.
  • Alright, so I'm really wanting to get into the "competitive" Netrunner scene, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have the core set, but I assume I'm probably going to need a 2nd copy for myself.

What good websites/resources should I utilize, how is the current metagame like, and what sets do I need to prioritize for purchase?
  • If you want to be competitive, you need to buy everything. Three core sets, one of every expansion. Only do this if you are truly serious.

Then all you have to do is go to your local tournaments and local meetups all the time.

If you want to win, that's very simple. Play TWIY* (The Win is Yours) and the blue cards.
  • edited June 2014
    VentureJ said:

Alright, so I'm really wanting to get into the "competitive" Netrunner scene, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have the core set, but I assume I'm probably going to need a 2nd copy for myself.

What good websites/resources should I utilize, how is the current metagame like, and what sets do I need to prioritize for purchase?

Stimhack shows the winning decks from a variety of tournaments, it's a really good place to get ideas. I only play for fun, but I often browse decks there to get a skeleton of a deck before finishing it off myself.

• I'm pretty fond of both of these decklists (Shinobi splash in NBN, and a very efficient Kate).

http://stimhack.com/regionals-san-antonio-2014-players/
  • Someday, I will put together a Professor deck that doesn't have less than 15 influence in it.
  • Your mission, then, is to create a professor deck with no Shaper cards in it.
  • edited July 2014
    Hey Scott, Stimhack shows a sea of Andy and Kate, with a tiny splash of Chaos. What card(s) from HP caused this massive shift towards just those runners? Are Andy and Kate's abilities SO inherently good that any new cards only make them stronger? What's going on?

Edit: Corps seem pretty balanced, with just Weyland a bit behind.
  • I'm not Scott but here's what I've heard:

With Kate it comes down to she's the best shaper runner if you aren't running a 40 card Chaos Theory deck. Generally you can take any non-Kate, non-CT deck, replace Kate as the ID and the deal will run just as well or better.

As for Andy, it's because the 9 card opening hand allows the runner to get out what they wants faster. Not to mention fun toys like Account Siphon and inside job are in faction.
  • Do you guys know of a good resource that I can send to a friend that gives a summary of each Corp/Runner's overall focus and basic capabilities? I'm looking for something akin to how each color in MTG corresponds with some sort of playstyle (Red = Burn/Aggro/Damage, Black = Discard/Resurrection/Removal, Blue = Counters/Bounce/Tricks, etc).
  • There's nothing that immediately comes to mind, but Stimhack had a decent article that compares the different runner and corp ids.

Keep in mind there is some overlap. Some factions are much stronger than others in certain area, but occasionally there will be a "theme" that will run across most of the factions. Each faction with their own spin on the theme,

It sort of breaks down like this:

Corps

Weyland: Meat Damage/Operation Focused/Will incur bad publicity/Most of the ICE is advancable but it's really rare that someone advances them. The have good "burst economy".

Haas Bioroid: Can go for lots of ICE or for multiple actions. A lot of their ICE is brain damaged focused and tend to had a lot of subroutines. They have a lot of economy options but it's mostly asset based which have to be protected and pay out over multiple turns.

NBN: Is the corp for Fast Advance/A lot of their ICE involves tracing the runner and tagging them beyond that it's kind of a mixed bag. Technically it has the best card draw in the game.

Jinteki: Very Net Damage focused/Jinkteki also makes use of the Psi game (both player choose to spend 0-2 credits, it's usually in the runner's best interest to match the corp choice.)/Jinteki is a little more deception focused and a lot of its cards can hurt the runner just by accessing them.

Runners

Anarchs: Card Destruction/Barrier breakers/Viruses, weakest economically, they have a lot of card recursion from the trash pile, they will more often weaken the strength of ICE so low-end breakers can break it for cheap.

Criminal: Money Generation/Run Events/Sentry breakers, strongest money generation, a lot of cards that also double as run events. Have a lot of tricks that can bypass pieces of ICE entirely. They also have a lot of tricks to avoid and dispose of tags. They also specialize in revealing face down card and forcing cards to be rezzed (forcing the corp to spend money it might not want to spend) or derezzed (forcing the corp to pay for the ice again). A lot of Criminal effects depend on being able to run the Corps hand.

Shaper: Code Gate Breakers/Best Tutoring and Recursion in the game/Economy is middle of the road compared to the other two factions. Shaper cards tend to allow the runner to change things up during the run installing or changing programs. They also have some cards that will change the ICE types. Most Shaper effects are focused on R&D (corp's deck), but there are some that need to hit HQ (Corp's hand).

Both sides also have access to Neutral cards which provide a lot of basic options to all factions. Mostly they provide some basic economy and in the case of the corp some basic ICE. Neutral cards also contain personalities not tied to any one faction.

Hope that helps.
  • So, I've been thinking about getting into Netrunner for a while. What I never realized is that Team Covenant was in Tulsa. I've lived in Tulsa most of my life, and once I found this out, I HAD to go over and pick up the game so I could start playing. Turns out the store is less than two miles from my apartment. Been having fun times biking over there and having fun ever since.
  • One is the current monetary cost for the game?
  • edited August 2014
    Going to live stream a bunch of Netrunner later today.

Post edited by Apreche on