This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon TFG - I'm looking at YOU, HMTK

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
http://www.go-pokemon.com/tfg/

This looks amazingly strange! It looks inexpensive, so I'm definitely going to get it. What do you guys think of this Pokemon Trading Figure Game?

Comments

• edited October 2007
    I have been eyeballing this sense/since (I'm too tired to think) last year.

I saw two booster packs at the local Target store but have not found two starter sets.

If you go to go-pokemon they have a demo of the game in flash format. they do not go into the Trainer cards or the trainers in any great detail. Right now the game board makes game play look lame. I will withhold my judgement until I have played the game and seen more of the figs (and their stats).

Once I get a playable set I will review it on PokeFarm.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • There are (obviously) a lot more maps than that. That's just the basic map for the tutorial. Plus, you can easily make your own.
  • All information indicates this is a bad game. Regardless, all the pictures of the figures I have seen so far lead me to believe that they are high quality. I might just try to get some figures of my favorite pokemans and leave it at that.
  • All information indicates this is a bad game. Regardless, all the pictures of the figures I have seen so far lead me to believe that they are high quality. I might just try to get some figures of my favorite pokemans and leave it at that.
    Thats what I was thinking.
  • I've seen the figures in person. They are very high quality. There's about 40 different pokemon available at the moment. There's a list up at Bulbagarden's wiki somewhere. There's also three promotional figures of the D/P starters available that wasn't mentioned in the Bulbawiki last I checked.

Buying sealed boosters until you get the pokemon you want gets pricey but there's a few people selling individual figures at reasonable cost. The game's not popular enough to demand the ridiculous prices of some of the rare TCG cards, fortunately.
  • I thought about buying them for the figs but we already have a ton of the ones you can already buy for $4 each.
  • I thought about buying them for the figs but we already have a ton of the ones you can already buy for $4 each.
    If those are the same figures that I am thinking of (Hasbro?) then I can tell you that the TFG figures are much better quality. Sculpted by Kaiyodo (who seem to do very nice work with miniatures from what I've seen thus far).

I'm probably going to buy a couple of boosters (as soon as I can FIND some in this city. Man). I like blind box toys. :D But I'll end up going Ebay or something just to have my favourites.
  • No, I'm talking about the figs you get from the Nintendo World Store in NYC. They all belong to my daughter and she ab/uses the hell out of them. Many are devoid of paint and some are missing parts.
  • The figures themselves are totally worth getting. I have a couple now, and they look utterly amazing. I mean look!

Don't they look incredibly well done? The game itself is fun, but not incredibly deep until you get to the larger maps.
  • Mudkip! I liek yoo!

I wonder if those things are here in the Netherlands. They look very nice indeed, one could buy them without caring for whatever game that's behind it.
  • I can't imagine the maps getting too much "better" than the standard one. If it gets too big you lose the tactics side of the game.
  • The 6 vs 6 game is rather compelling. The 3 vs 3 game is quick and fun.
  • So the game is not bad? I only know anything about the physical figures. If the game prooves amusing enough I could seek out players in my area - apparently some of the keenest players live in my city. Who'd've thunk it?
    No, I'm talking about the figs you get from the Nintendo World Store in NYC. They all belong to my daughter and she ab/uses the hell out of them. Many are devoid of paint and some are missing parts.
    D: These figures are not for abusing! They are for display and...display! Mostly display, really.

• D: These figures are not for abusing! They are for display and...display! Mostly display, really.
    If they're for display, why do you have to spin them to play the game?

• D: These figures are not for abusing! They are for display and...display! Mostly display, really.
    If they're for display, why do you have to spin them to play the game?
    No, he's referring to the figures that you get from the Nintendo World Store.

• No, he's referring to the figures that you get from the Nintendo World Store.
    Ah.
  • I think these spinny figures are too delicate to play with (as kids do). The ones I get from Nintendo World Store are solid, these things have some very delicate joints that will break if played with.
  • Nah, the TFG figures are pretty sturdy.
  • I purchased a bunch of these things today and I will report on them later.
  • Can't wait.
  • I posted a long review here. Short and sweet is that it is a very basic capture the flag style game with over priced game pieces.
  • I had noticed starter packs for this at the local Wal-Mart. I must say I was impressed by the quality of the figures. If one could easily purchase them individually then I might have considered picking some up, mainly just to have some cute geek knick-knacks for the computer room shelf. I probably wouldn't ever buy any of them for gaming purposes due to the "booster pack" mentality. I have long since washed my hands of any game that requires me to buy, sight unseen, booster packs containing cards or pieces with an artificial "rarity" value because at that point the game devolves into an instance of "who has more money and can buy the stronger pieces".
  • I disagree on this one. From the rare figures I have seen they are not "better" than the common ones, just different.

Some of the figs even have powers that work against them. Skarmory has an effect that can make it jump over a fig. You can use this against the fig by attacking it close to your goal and if it spins that result it ends up on the other side of your fig, forcing your opponent to battle you again!

Ho-Oh has an effect where it and all Pokemon adjacent to it go back to their owners bench. This make the fig useful as a defensive Pokemon but not as an attacker.

Beedril has a 50% chance to miss and an attack that does 40x damage (up to 80). There is a trainer card that allows you to respin all miss results which, when used with Beedril, insures you will hit for 80 damage. As an added effect if you still get knocked out doing 80 damage the other fig becomes poisoned.

The strategy is 90% team selection and 10% game play.

• The strategy is 90% team selection and 10% game play.
    As is the case in all collectible games. It's effectively rock paper scissors, only you can't choose paper if you didn't pay for it.
  • I disagree on this one. From the rare figures I have seen they are not "better" than the common ones, just different.
    [snip]
    The strategy is 90% team selection and 10% game play.
    Ah, but how do you get more figures with which to build your team and bring that strategy to bear fruit? You have to buy the boosters. And what if the figure you need is one of the ones that is always hidden by the "mystery figure" packaging? Oops, sorry, you didn't get it with this pack, looks like you'll have to buy another one and figure out some way to get rid of the "common"-grade figure that you get with the package. What, you didn't get it in that one either? Looks like you have to buy yet another one. Yes, I know you have a ton of common figures by now, but you can always trade them with your friends. Oh, they've all got the same common figures already?

You even said in your review:
    I do not like the random nature of the booster packs. I have been in too many stores where all of the 2-figure packs have the same three Pokemon in the clear section. Because of this I know that almost no one is going to want the extra Pokemon I end up buying in the hopes of getting something new in the secret part of the pack.
    See where I'm going with this? Yes, it's shrewd marketing on the part of the manufacturer. People love to collect stuff. Keep the kids buying them because they "gotta catch 'em all." Heck, the same marketing tactics kept me sucked in to Magic: The Gathering from '94 through '96. Then I had a "WTF am I doing?" moment when I realized I was buying MTG booster packs by the box just to get the cards that I wanted for my collection and my decks.

I can see where you're coming from with regards to the game; it looks like it could be a fun diversion. Sure, you don't have to buy boosters to get an enjoyable game, but in the long run if you are planning on playing against someone other than your buddy who also bought the starter kit it just comes down to who has the resources to buy more figures. If I buy a game these days it is something that is self-contained. If it has a self-contained expansion down the road, then I might buy that. Since my "WTF" moment I haven't touched any game that has "collectible" as part of its marketing scheme. Sure, I've missed out on some fun games that looked interesting to me (Mage Knight, HeroClix, the WoW TCG, et al.), but in the long run I haven't wasted the money amassing parts I don't need and I don't have a ton of stuff I can't use cluttering up space in my apartment.
  • Oh mans. They are made by Kaiyodo! They make some of the greatest figures ever! If you haven't heard of the Revoltech figures, you should check them out.
  • edited November 2007
    I agree that it becomes a money grab if you want to catch 'em all. However, unlike MTG, having access to the rares does not guarantee you a win. Just look at Ho-Oh. It has a 17% chance of spinning a miss and a 30% chance of spinning the special which sends everyone back to their bench (adjacent). Fire Blast does 120 damage with a 25% chance of being spun and the other 28% slice belongs to Gust for 50 damage.

My current favorite is Skarmory who never misses and his lowest attack does 30 damage and his special allows him to hop over the defending Pokemon.

The Pokemon who do more damage are slower while the faster ones do less damage. One strategy I have used is to have a fast Pokemon run into the opponent's end zone and then use the switch trainer card to swap it with a high powered slow Pokemon.

Will I buy more? Only if I come across a pack with one I do not have in the clear section. Then again, there is no rule that says you can not use the same Pokemon twice on your team.

There is a Battle Pack out there with both starter teams and a referee figure. Seriously though, watch the demo online and if it looks appealing pick up a copy of the starter sets or the battle pack. If you keep your eye on eBay someone may list a complete set or a box of packs for cheap.

Another option is to do what my friends and I always did when playing MTG. Have everyone chip in money and buy a whole bunch of them as a group. Then draft figures and play for a while. Allow the winner of each match to trade a Pokemon from the losers collection for one from theirs. After a while either buy more and draft them or redraft all of them.
  • edited November 2007
    I found a blog with a review and an interesting comment about distribution. It seems that distribution was real bad in the European release and not much better in the American release:

Unfortunately, the new booster distribution is even more flawed than the UK version. There are a grand total of 21 visible figures between the different booster/starter types. There are 42 figures in the set, plus 3 D/P figures.

Therefore, the remaining 24 figures can only be obtained through random packs. Random figures ONLY come packed with one of 5 "visible" figures, so that forces you to own at least 19 duplicates of Ho-oh/Lugia/Zangoose/Eevee/Salamance in order to complete the set. (assuming you get no duplicates)

Quite frankly, I'd rather have the completely random boosters than 30 Ho-ohs.
    What sucks for me is that I got a Zangoose in the hidden part of one of my packs! If I had known that Zangoose was one of the visible guys I would have been pissed.
  • My current favorite is Skarmory who never misses and his lowest attack does 30 damage and his special allows him to hop over the defending Pokemon.
    It's good to hear Skarmory is overpowered in all of the pogeyman games. :P
    edited November 2007
    TEXT
    Eh, afaik, you can see the pokémon in the booster pack things. So none of that "OMG I HOPE I HAZ TEH UBER RARE ZOLVARMON (made up name). *opening sounds* Awwwww crap, another commonmon." (also made up name, though he would kick Zolvarmon's ass. That is what I say, that is what is true, I made them up damnit)
    Or am I misinterpreting your post(s)?
    Post edited by ... on