This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Avengers (with spoilers)

Comments

• Will it be a shared Universe with Avengers or will it be separate because of licensing bullshit like with Spiderman and X-men?

I honestly think both Spiderman and X-men are well served by being seperate from the Marvel universe. The X-men lose a lot of their allegorical power if there are a ton of other superpowered individuals running around and Galatus is always five seconds from eating the earth and shit. Meanwhile, Spiderman is a lot like Batman, in that what makes his stories interesting kinda goes away in the presence of a larger universe.

In my head, I sort of have the Marvel universe chopped into a few sub-verses. I've got what I call the "cosmic bullshit" corner, which has Thor, the Fantastic Four, the Silver Surfer and his planet-gobbling boss, and all the aliens. They have titanic life or death battles for the fate of the universe. Then there is the X-mans, which is all dramas and metaphors. Then there is "New York + Heroes", which is basically Spiderman and Daredevil, plus most of the human-scale types, and its all small scale personal drama. Everyone else gets to be the Avengers and/or the people the Avengers fight.

That's pretty much why I'm not allowed to talk comics with people. :P
  • Churba said:

Nukerjsr said:

Luke Cage needs to be played by Terry Crews, no exceptions.

You know who I think would be better? Isiah Mustafa. He's not quite as huge as Terry Crews, but I think he's better suited for it as an actor.
    My friends and I also had similar discussions about this and came to the conclusion that Michael Ian Black was the best choice for this. This role seems made for him.
  • Jordan O. said:

Churba said:

Nukerjsr said:

Luke Cage needs to be played by Terry Crews, no exceptions.

You know who I think would be better? Isiah Mustafa. He's not quite as huge as Terry Crews, but I think he's better suited for it as an actor.
    My friends and I also had similar discussions about this and came to the conclusion that Michael Ian Black was the best choice for this. This role seems made for him.

That's just silly Luke Cage is practically written for Simon Pegg.
  • I guess this is the defacto Marvel Cinematic Universe thread, so let's recycle it as such. In the news: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been renewed and they will make a TV series focused around Haley Atwell's character Agent Carter from the first Captain America film has been ordered.
  • Yea I'm super happy, I've been enjoying S.H.I.E.L.D as the flawed show it is. Still lots of fun. Looking forward to the netflix shows too.
  • I enjoy the story as it fills in a few things here and there with the Marvel Movie Universe. The characters are somewhat growing on me.

This show is the new X-Files for me. Can't trust shit and crazy shit happening all the time.
  • Rochelle said:

This show is the new X-Files for me. Can't trust shit and crazy shit happening all the time.

I also recently came to the conclusion that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is basically a cross between X-Files and Firefly set in the Marvel universe, particularly the "mystery of the week" type of episodes. Even made me want to go back and watch some X-Files again.
  • So I watched that Agent Carter One-Shot they put on the Iron Man 3 home video release today. If that is the basis for the TV series I'm even more excited. The production value will probably take a dip, due to budget, but still.

Also watched the other Marvel One-Shots today and they were pretty nice overall. They're not essential, and they really shouldn't be, but they are fun to watch and give you a little bit extra to things you already know or a new angle to some things in the main feature films.
  • Not only has Agents of SHIELD been picked up for a second season, but Agent Carter has been picked up as well. I'm looking forward to the later a bit more.
  • edited May 2014
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Doing a Bunker Talk tonight with Kevin and Omar instead of Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters because Jason decided to have a flood in his basement.
  • Art Omar created while we recorded as Kev & I explained what happened in season 1. He's pretty accurate, even though we enjoyed the poop.

• I'd watch that.
  • Second Guardians of the Galaxy trailer was released:
  • This movie keeps looking better and better.
  • Best Vin Diesel acting ever.
    Chris Pratt in a lead role looks great.
    Plus Zoe Saldana.
  • So, someone leaked test footage for the Deadpool movie which has been stuck in development hell for a while. It captures the character pretty well, but I'm not sure Deadpool can carry a film on his own.
  • edited July 2014
    Also, fun facts, made by Blur Studios, who've had a hand in... Basically every really awesome bit of CGI that you've seen in the last Decade or so that didn't have Pixar or Dreamworks on it.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I didn't realise Blur did the videos for virtually every game.

Also if Planetside 2 actually played like that, it would be amazing.
  • sK0pe said:

I didn't realise Blur did the videos for virtually every game.

Also if Planetside 2 actually played like that, it would be amazing.

Pretty much, yeah. Not all the in-game stuff, but if you see a CGI trailer, there's a damned good chance it's got their fingerprints on it somewhere.

I have very few nice things to say about planetside.

• edited August 2014
    Marvel has supposedly finished a script for an Inhumans movie. Not unexpected considering that they can't get the rights back to the X-Men and the Inhumans are their other familial group of superheroes. However, the Inhumans are also quite a lot more obscure to the non-comic book fan, even before the age of superhero films. Didn't prevent them from making a Guardians of the Galaxy film though.
  • So Guardians of the Galaxy has finally been released in my part of the world and I went to see it yesterday. It was awesome, in the true meaning of the word. It is also in a strange sense both the most entangled Marvel film while also being the most accessible since Phase One. Phase Two so far has all been about sequels, building from Phase One and paying off expectations set up in the audience. GotG is helped by not being a sequel and tells a new story with new characters and no requirements of any prior knowledge of anything, while also not being bound to real world current technological expectations because the setting is not earth.

At the same time, the film introduces a lot of things which can be built up on. Infinity Stones, Thanos, the Kree, the Nova Corps, the Kyln, Ravagers, the Collector, Knowhere, Celestials, Sakaarans, even Cosmo and Howard the Duck. And at the same time the film hardly wastes any time on backstory or feeling itself forced to explain all of this. It happens occasionally when it is absolutely necessary (like the Collector explaining the Infinity Stones), but other than that it is essentially provided as "This is just how it is, you'll pick things up as you go along". The only thing missing which I would have liked is a hint at the existence of Skulls in the MCU.

In any case, the movie was great. There isn't really any character development, but it isn't strictly necessary. It's a fun ride through a crazy space plot, set up beautifully and executed perfectly.
  • Guardians of the Galaxy is really good! Juliane said it's the most fun scifi movie since 5th Element. I agree.
  • edited September 2014
    People say GotG was the most obscure and bizarre thing Marvel could feasibly put on the big screen without alienating the audience. I think they are going to put that theory to the test in Phase 3, considering we're getting an Ant-Man and a Dr. Strange Movie, plus the completely expected GotG sequel, and even that could potentially be hit-and-miss (though I certainly think it is going to hit). Really, the only sure-bet they have there with a reappearance of the big hitters is the third Captain America film.

Phase 3 is probably going to test how deep Marvel can really go in the cinematic universe.

Still, I really wish they would make a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel film and a Hulk film starring Mark Ruffalo. I guess there's still a "slot" for a second film in 2017 besides the GotG sequel, but it's not like Marvel hasn't released only one film in a year before.
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer!
  • That Hulkbuster armor!
  • Marvel announces Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Inhumans film. Oh yeah, and a little something called "Avengers: Infinity War" which is two movies.
  • Extended Trailer. Everyone try lifting Thor's hammer.

• 2bfree said:

Extended Trailer. Everyone try lifting Thor's hammer

2bfree said:

Everyone try lifting Thor's hammer

2bfree said:

lifting Thor's hammer

• Yeah. Cap defiantly loosens his grip and chooses not to pick it up.