This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sailor Moon returns to the U.S.

Comments

• Oh my...
  • I have begun my epic rewatch of Sailor Moon as I write a magical girl RPG.
  • I started screwing around with RPG maker but decided it's not flexible enough for what I'd like to do, and I don't know anything about "real" game engines, have no desire to reinvent the wheel, and really I'd rather write anyway.

*sigh*

Maybe one of these days I'll build my really killer dieselpunk RPG. ;-)
  • He said a magical girl anime, not a Sailor Moon fan rpg... unless you're saying that magical girls are so generic it doesn't matter. In which case :(.

I've played the Sailor Moon rpg, or a translation of it. Couldn't really get into it, but then, that whole FF1-alike genre is kinda played out for me. I was really into the Final Fight/Streets of Rage clone for awhile. I used to have it up on my arcade cab whenever we had a party at my apartment.
  • It's a tabletop game. Kind of an extensive hack of the system I built to do Buffy the Vampire Slayer-esque games.
  • The episode with Jadeite getting his shit kicked in with his own jet accidentally got me livetweeting everything that happened in the episode. It was kinda of totally fantastic on every level.
  • Today's Crystal had terrible, phoned-in animation, and Rei's eyes in particular look about three sizes too creepily big, but hey, at least Jadeite is dead.
  • Today's Crystal had terrible, phoned-in animation, and Rei's eyes in particular look about three sizes too creepily big, but hey, at least Jadeite is dead.

Some of the animation was outsourced to a cheap studio in the Philippines.
  • So the teenage rivalry dynamic between Moon and Mars is now a creepy stalker relationship. For some reason I'm finding this more hilarious than it should be.
  • OK. I would not keep watching this if I weren't intending to review it. It's a chore at this point.
  • Yeah it's not great. I wonder what they were thinking this was supposed to be. The art's bad, the voice actors are poor choices, there's nothing amazing that makes it feel like watching the story again is worth it. There's no hook at all.
  • It's supposed to be the anniversary cash grab. Production problems delayed real work being done on it, and now it's a rushed-out, half-assed soulless rehash of the first little chunk of the manga.
  • The Luna voice actress drives me up a wall. It's not that her voice is BAD, it's just that it's so thoroughly unsuited to the character.
  • You know what we really need instead of Crystal?

"The Dark Kingdom has planted a crystal warhead under Tokyo, threatening the life energy of millions. A terrorist named Jadeite has captured an airline carrying presidential hopeful David Palmer and have possessed them with shinto magics. Among those aboard... my wife and daughter. And I'm being followed by a talking cat.

My name is Sailor Bauer, and this is the longest day of my life."
  • So we'd replace "Moon Tiara Boomerang" with "Moon Tiara Threaten This Baby"?
  • You are saying what everyone is thinking (and secretly hoping.)

"The Dark Kingdom has planted a crystal warhead under Tokyo, threatening the life energy of millions. A terrorist named Jadeite has captured an airline carrying presidential hopeful David Palmer and have possessed them with shinto magics. Among those aboard... my wife and daughter. And I'm being followed by a talking cat.

So we'll get a scene where Sailor Bauer has to torture Sailor Jupiter and then Sailor Jupiter goes "Oh, that's alright Bauer, I know you had to do it for the good of the country!"
  • Is this before or after Sailor Venus gets attacked by a Mountain Artemis?
  • So we'd replace "Moon Tiara Boomerang" with "Moon Tiara Threaten This Baby"?

Enhanced Interrogation... AAAAAAAAACTION!
  • edited August 2014
    This blog makes me giggle so, so much. I'm at the point now where I can't defend Crystal's bad spots as flukes anymore, but even if I weren't -- even if I were the biggest fan of Crystal's animation to ever exist -- the amount of butthurt coming in to this blog from people saying that critical posts are "flooding" the Crystal tag is just. Oh man. I can't even

Post edited by Eryn on
  • Too funny.

Sooo... Sailor Knights Rayearth?
  • Nuri said:

You know what we really need instead of Crystal?

If that's what that actually is, I'm going to start watching it tonight.
  • Churba I almost fucking choked.
  • Nuri said:

You know what we really need instead of Crystal?

If that's what that actually is, I'm going to start watching it tonight.
    Well, that would be a mashup of Saior Moon and Magic Knights Rayearth but in a modern tech setting instead of fantasy. I don't think it actually exists.
  • As I'm watching them, I suspect that episodes 38 and 39 (The skiing and skating ones) of Sailor Moon probably got made the way they did because the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, recently announced at the time, was in the news during the planning meetings.