This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071031 - Apollo’s Song

edited October 2007 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights, they review Osamu Tezuka’s Apollo's Song. In the news, there’s a webcomic wikipedia war, Zuda launches, it’s Halloween, and we’re starting season three with episode 400!

Scott’s Thing - The Money Bin
Rym’s Thing - Halloween… for the Atari 2600

Comments

• Oh mans... Duck Tales was the win. Whoever made that model is one of the most awesome people who ever lived.
  • Yes, Uncle Scrooge was my first comic book. I think it was in the $0.15 range when I first read it. I don't remember exactly.

Scott has never Seen A Christmas Story all the way through???? How is that possible?
  • Aye, Duck tales was really awesome. I have about 5 years worth of Donald Duck comics :D Should grab some of the Uncle Scrooge pockets. *thinks*
  • I seen A Christmas Story at least 50 times in my life and don't remember fra gi le. Then again I put the memories of that movie behind me since I did like it but after seeing it so much every year in marathon mode due to family...fuck that shit.
  • Fragile! It's a major award! I instantly got the joke when Rym said it. Scott, *sigh*. I think it's still funny after you've seen in so many times. I'm giggling just thinking about various scenes from it! Ahh, the holiday season is almost here, and I look forward to watching that movie.
  • "It - Was - The - Soap"
  • Apollo's song was such a good manga. Because, it was different of what I have spected from Tezuka. The Sigma queen story made me remember the future part of Sun. But I have to admit it had some pretty weird scenes specially the one about the animal island, I cant take the face of the wolves from my head now :(
  • Muh thun ith thtuck.
  • All I can think about are the seams on the backs of Ralphie's mom's hose. Goddamn, but seams are sexy!
  • Zuda is pretty cool, the comic that has won will be really hard to knock off the top it is pretty awesome "Bayou", only 2 or 3 other comics were worth continuing for me.
    The Moneybin is crazy awesome.  I use to watch Ducktales, Talespin and Darkwing Duck they were pretty awesome cartoons for me at primary school age.
    The Angry Video Game Nerd was slightly funny and sometimes just crap but entertaining nonetheless.

• Ducktales was awesome... Is Talespin the one where all the nephews are teenagers?
  • Dude....Scott.....A Christmas Story is still the best X-mas movie ever...Hell it is just as much a part of X-mas as palm trees, and the killer Santa robot...
  • Ducktales was awesome... Is Talespin the one where all the nephews are teenagers?
    No. Tale Spin is based on the Jungle Book. All air pirate action.
  • where all the nephews are teenagers?
    That was also awesome! All three were super cool!
  • I love me some Ducktales and Tailspin, but is there no love for Gummi Bears? That was one of my favorite Disney cartoons to watch. Even though the theme song is annoying, you can't help but sing along.

*ponders*

Crap, now it's stuck in my head.
  • I love me some Ducktales and Tailspin, but is there no love forGummi Bears? That was one of my favorite Disney cartoons to watch. Even though the theme song is annoying, you can't help but sing along.

*ponders*

Crap, now it's stuck in my head.
    Ouch, I disliked that show. A lot. I generally dislike bears. Plushie bears, ok. Bouncing bears, no ok.
  • I read Apollo's Song last night all in one sitting, not that that was my intention. Then I listened to this episode again today, to see if how I saw the book was much like you guys (since I couldn't remember exactly what you guys said about it.)

Anyway, I agree with what you are saying about the story, in how its about sort of answering the question of what is love? And that exploring that question from various angles and possibilities in order to test what love is.

But I saw another bit to it which is that I think Tezuki was trying to show that love is both a curse and a blessing. In that it can give us both the greatest moments of our lives, and yet also the worst. And I guess that without that we aren't really alive. Which is maybe why there is that nature bit in the middle of the Queen Sigma chapter, in that humans have regard for other living things (ie: nature) because of love. Synthians because they had no love, had no regard for living things or nature in general.