This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Top Special Attacks

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss special attacks. You know, like Big O's punch, or Lina Inverse's Dragonslave. Who has the best special attacks? Does Galactus have one, or is he just big and powerful? Does any Sailor Scout have a special attack more powerful than Sailor Saturn? In the news, the newly announced Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom, is definitely going to be awful. We were right about the results of the Eisner Awards. Takeshi Obata will be at NYCC! (We won't be, but if you are, you should go see him)!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited July 2014
    The "Download MP3" link is returning a 404 error, but the one from the actual site is not.

Edit for accuracy: The link is working correctly now.
    Post edited by MiPona on
  • Giga Drill Breaker has to be near the top of this list, right?
  • Hard to Avoid Area Attack

• After watching the Big O Piston Punch I watched the usual Mazinger attacks. Then I came across this.

Transformation, split-screen, explosion in the upper atmosphere, & maniacal laughing? It's pretty much perfect.
  • If I had to go for "Favorite Special Attack", it'd have to be the Goldion Crusher, for the ratio of Devistatingness:Awesomeness being nearly 1:1

• Crab People!
  • belkalra said:

Crab People!

You win the no-prize!
  • The actual Big O

The best mech story I know, with the best mechs, till at least the second half of the season.

What a disappointment, had such potential to be something great.
  • edited August 2014
    Akuma Raging Demon?

Start at 8:04, video doesn't seem to load in forum at timestamp for some reason.

Post edited by sK0pe on
  • As I've been lately into Jojo, I stared to think if there were any good special attacks there.

Thinking things through, I realized that there are not many good ones. Most interesting and powerful powers are not delivered as special attacks and most special attacks are kinda lame. Bite the Dust, from part 4, would maybe get on my list, although I'm not sure if I'd count it as a special attack, as it is more of an bomb or mine, rather than a attack delivered in the middle of the battle targeted at specific target. But it's still powerful and more interesting than throwing green rocks, so if I'd have to pick an special attack from Jojos, I'd pick that.
  • edited August 2014
    Apsup said:

As I've been lately into Jojo, I stared to think if there were any good special attacks there.

Thinking things through, I realized that there are not many good ones. Most interesting and powerful powers are not delivered as special attacks and most special attacks are kinda lame. Bite the Dust, from part 4, would maybe get on my list, although I'm not sure if I'd count it as a special attack, as it is more of an bomb or mine, rather than a attack delivered in the middle of the battle targeted at specific target. But it's still powerful and more interesting than throwing green rocks, so if I'd have to pick an special attack from Jojos, I'd pick that.

It's kinda hard to have cool special attacks in a universe that
    Has a main character powerful enough to stop time when he's bored
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited August 2014
    Finally got around to listening to this.

First, a correction, Voltron used Blazing Sword nearly every episode. It was how he finished off just about every robeast he faced. That doesn't make it less of a special attack, per se, as it's still special and awesome. It's just not a rare special attack.

That said, I think there is a subset of special attacks that should be addressed: finishing moves. All finishing moves are by their nature special attacks, but not all special attacks are finishing moves. A finishing move is a special attack that is routinely used at the end of a battle to finish off the opposition. Blazing Sword is a perfect example of a finishing move. So's Big O's Showtime punch. Just about all of Sailor Moon's special attacks also count. Many pro wrestling special attacks are also finishing moves. We also can't forget Mortal Kombat's Fatalities and such (hell, the game even says "Finish him!" when it's time to use one of them).

Mazinger's Rocket Punch is not a finishing move since the final move used in all its battles tends to vary between episodes. The Wave Motion Gun is also not a finishing move as it's only used once in a while and only in special circumstances as opposed to being the regular, preferred method of finishing off an enemy.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I don't remember Voltron's sword being used all that often. My childhood memory is always wanting them to use it, but only seeing it once in awhile.
  • Fuzzy memory is okay... I think all of Voltron is available on YouTube (with the blessing of the US rights holder, World Events Productions), though, and all of the original Japanese Golion is on the free side of Crunchyroll. I've also watched a good bit of Voltron (okay, technically Golion) in the past year or so, so my memory is definitely fresher than yours.

That said, sometimes the animation for Blazing Sword differed slightly (sometimes it formed with a purplish glow whereas other times it didn't) between episodes and I used to think that one animation implied a more powerful version of the sword than the other. The first time I remember this animation change taking place was during an episode were Voltron was powered up by some sort of space goddess (the same one that broke him up into the five lions in Golion, technically) However, it turns out that, no, it's just an animation difference for no real reason.
  • edited August 2014
    I have GoLion on DVD but have never made it past 2 or 3 episodes. My childhood memory of Voltron is of the Blazing Sword being the climax of nearly every episode...
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Dan Hibiki's Otoko Michi is the single greatest special attack that anyone will ever want and need. It is a culmination of blood, sweat, and manly tears.
  • edited August 2014
    He was a legit disrespect character in his inception.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Still listening to the episode but I wanted to mention that One-Punch Man does have Special Attacks.

http://telemaniaka.org/op_man.jpg
    (warning, big image)
  • edited August 2014
    There's a disturbing lack of ZA WARUDO!
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • There's a disturbing lack of ZA WARUDO!

I don't consider it a special move and even if it is, it's not an attack.

• Apsup said:

So are you positing a difference between a Special Move and a Special Attack?
  • Neito said:

Apsup said:

Yes, I do, in this case I consider Za Warudo to be an ability that's good for setting up attacks, but is technically not offensive on it's own, it has to be combined with an actual attack.

• Neito said:

Apsup said:

Special Attacks are a subset of Special Moves.
  • Special Moves require multiple direction and input combinations to activate, so it should totally count.
  • Well, does "stopping time and then dropping a bloody tanker truck/steamroller on you" count?
  • Also, not to be a wrestling nerd, but Hulk Hogan's special attack, the move he finished people off with, was the Atomic Leg Drop not the Body Slam. Yea, picking up someone and slamming them down with all your might would hurt much more than just dropping your leg on someone but that's the wacky world of pro wrestling for you.

• Also, not to be a wrestling nerd, but Hulk Hogan's special attack, the move he finished people off with, was the Atomic Leg Drop not the Body Slam. Yea, picking up someone and slamming them down with all your might would hurt much more than just dropping your leg on someone but that's the wacky world of pro wrestling for you.

One of the most iconic moments of Hogan's career was his match with Andre at Wrestlemania 3. The story of that match was Hogan couldn't knock the big man down. But thanks to the hulkamaniacs' cheering, Hogan was able to hulk up and do the impossible.

Hogan hit tens of thousands of leg drops in his career but everyone still brings up the body slam to Andre because it was a true "Special Attack."
  • Less "picking him up" and more "rotating him around his already high center of gravity".
  • He did use a powerslam as his finish in NJPW.
  • Ask someone on the street who isn't a wrestling fan what Hulk Hogan's signature move is. What answer do you think you will get most often?