This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Crypt of the Necrodancer

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the current iteration of Crypt of the Necrodancer, the wonderfully aptly-named rhythm roguelike (though I wouldn't suggest you actually play it on a dance pad). It's interesting and inspired, but is not exactly what it appears to be. In the news, a cooperative X-COM board game (in the tradition of the Omega Virus) is coming, Nintendo continues its likely death spiral, and the Internet is surprisingly confused as to Sheik's gender. We also talk about our recent rounds of Tigris & Euphrates play

Be sure to see our panel - How to Win Every Game - at PAX Prime this year! Also be sure to enter our contest to win two four-day PAX Prime badges!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• You'll be glad to know Mario Kart 8 has that Mercedes DLC that you've always wanted, for that Wii U you have. Nintendo = Profit

• When you posit that xcom question you were referring to "the unofficial board game guy of MAGFest". They would not get the game since their library is so out of date they would focus on other titles first before moving to a game of that nature.

If it were me, I would supply a small electronic device and keep it in the box if I can trivaly replace it. Which means depending on the hardware requirements I would pick up a cheapo smart phone with a pay as you go plan, make a dummy account to at least get it up, download the app,and leave it there.

So the key for this to work is how well the app is coded and can it run easily on a piece of older tech.
  • As a person who already owns MK8, haters gonna hate. I can't compare it to MK Wii, since I never owned it, but Anthony says it makes a better first impression in terms of general feel and other intangibles. Vs. mode has been our after-dinner game for the past two weeks.

The rest of my Wii U library is Super Mario 3D World (great), Wonderful 101 (great), Shovel Knight, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, and NES Remix. I didn't buy it for Karting, but I did buy it for co-op 3D World.

Mario Kart DS is a perfectly fine game if you don't mind repetitive stress injuries.
  • MK8 is actually really good. It's the first MK I've played in HD, and it looks great. Vs mode races against my girlfriend and in laws are crazy and full of shit talking.

However, battle mode is utter garbage. The tracks are massive and you play with loads of bots. That means you don't see each other, can't find each other, and the winner is boringly decided randomly.
  • I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I'm assuming that Rym & Scott went full-on grumpypants over MK8 and the state of the Wii U. There are a lot of valid complaints to sling at Nintendo, but MK8 (and a handful of other Wii U games) are quite good. Don't take that away from them.
  • Mother 3 actually did a few interesting things with timed hits in battle - if you tap with the rhythm, you get more hits (like Mario's jump power in Super Mario RPG). Several enemy themes have more than quarter notes.

Patapon is also an RPG entirely about timed hits.

• Matt said:

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I'm assuming that Rym & Scott went full-on grumpypants over MK8 and the state of the Wii U. There are a lot of valid complaints to sling at Nintendo, but MK8 (and a handful of other Wii U games) are quite good. Don't take that away from them.

We didn't say anything bad about MK8. It's better-by-iteration than previous Mario Karts. The problem isn't that MK8 is bad: it's that MK8 only sold to people who already owned Wii-Us. People who don't already own the latter aren't buying them to play the former (or really any of the first party titles).

• I'm a little bummed that I sold my Wii-U after it collected dust for 3 months. I should have waited for the second wave of first party releases, but at the time I prioritized funding Connecticon over having an inert console on my shelf.
  • Rym said:

Matt said:

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I'm assuming that Rym & Scott went full-on grumpypants over MK8 and the state of the Wii U. There are a lot of valid complaints to sling at Nintendo, but MK8 (and a handful of other Wii U games) are quite good. Don't take that away from them.

We didn't say anything bad about MK8. It's better-by-iteration than previous Mario Karts. The problem isn't that MK8 is bad: it's that MK8 only sold to people who already owned Wii-Us. People who don't already own the latter aren't buying them to play the former (or really any of the first party titles).
    No single game will move consoles, at least it shouldn't. It's games, which will move consoles and bit by bit WiiU is starting to look more an more appealing. In few years it might be a worth of a buy.

• The Wii U is one of the only consoles that has games that try to do couch coop. Considering I have people that come over to play games in person somewhat frequently I appreciate its dedication.
    Rym said:

People who don't already own the latter aren't buying them to play the former (or really any of the first party titles).

Uhhh....

It didn't turn the company around but people were certainly interested in playing it enough to buy a Wii U.
  • I listened to the episode and I stand corrected! You guys were not as grumpy as my mental caricatures of you were. I do contend that MK8 got people's attention though. I had two random dudes approach me at work because "I knew stuff about games," and they were considering buying Wii Us b/c they were cheap, and they wanted to relive their Mario Kart 64 college days.

All told, in the past two months I have had SIX people ask me if they should buy a Wii U. That's after only being asked ONCE in the year+ prior. Of those six, two did buy a Wii U, one did not, and three I talked out of it by pointing out that they wouldn't use it enough, and should spend their money building an HTPC, where given the time they have to play games, they could be endlessly entertained solely off of Humble Bundles and Steam sales. I do not regret my Wii U even one bit, but it's not something I'd push on others.

You guys were also much more positive on the XCOM game than I had anticipated. I thought it was getting unnecessary flack, and an hopeful that the game will be well made. FFG is on a tear, Eric Lang is also turning heads as a designer (although none of his games are favorites of mine, I can admit the dude has got a good game design brain), the source material is great, and I have no reason to dismiss it based off of what I've seen so far.

The point about game libraries is kinda "meh." I haven't had reception trouble in a convention in a while now. I have unlimited data and I'm sure I could pull that app down off of 3G/4G in a reasonable amount of time. I'd be more worried about actually being able to hear the speaker on a phone/tablet in a crowded convention hall!

Oh and thanks for the review of Crypt of the Necrodancer. That was starting to pop up on my radar , but it sounds like a definite pass.
  • Once Smash Brothers come out I will seriously consider getting a Wii U.
  • Cremlian said:

Once Smash Brothers come out I will seriously consider getting a Wii U.

3DS Smash Bros. will suffice.
  • Apreche said:

Cremlian said:

Once Smash Brothers come out I will seriously consider getting a Wii U.

3DS Smash Bros. will suffice.
    3DS has one huge advantage. Ad-hoc multiplayer at conventions.
  • Also not everyone has a 3DS which makes multiplayer hard if you have people over :-p
  • Best Buy was liquidating their stock of white Wii U pro controllers since Nintendo discontinued the white Wii U. I was sorely tempted to buy in anticipation for Smash parties at my house, but the responsible adult side tells me to just get the $20 Gamecube controller adapter set.
  • luckily I still have a silver GC from the double dash bundle my brother got and never played. I also have the glorious wave bird still (unfortunately missing the battery cover but whatever). I'll probably buy one of the new reissue versions when I get the adapter too and maybe go to a pawn shop or ebay for one last one unless someone wants to sell me theirs ;).

I haven't looked into CotND very much but I was hoping that it would have randomized button prompts to to up left right down and you had to complete one of those to use the direction and then to do magic attacks would also have a combo. Like maybe each direction would have a randomized set of arrows that follow the tempo of the song. If you go left all the others stay the same but you also get a new left set of arrows. Or you hit the direction you want to go then you have to complete a 3-4 arrow sequence to complete that move. Wonder if someone can possibly mod that stuff in.
  • Also speaking of Mario Tennis GBA game there was a Mario Golf game for the GBC that Camelot made which had RPG elements and it was awesome. Just checked on Club Nintendo and it is one of the rewards available now (expires tomorrow). So I'm gonna get that. Also Dr Mario is on there so maybe that too.

Need something to spend these coins on.
  • I loved that Mario Golf game on GBC! Still have mine.

The GBC version of the original Mario Bros was also an amazing game as well. They put in all sorts of challenges for each level, like a high score challenge, 8 red coins, hidden block w/ yoshi egg, etc. I remember it unlocking stickers that you could print out with the GameBoy printer (lol).