This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Salad

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about salads. Garden Salad, Cobb Salad, Caesar Salad, Chef Salad, Salad Days, etc... Should you cut or tear lettuce? What kinds of tomatoes? Kale? Arugula? Advanced Crackers? In the news, we discuss the Toledo Water Crisis, which should terrify you far more than Ebola or war in Ukraine (or even the Toledo-Michigan War. We also consider the AVGN movie that we're going to see tomorrow.

The deadline to enter our contest for TWO four-day PAX Prime 2014 badges is TOMORROW. Our panel at PAX is on Monday at noon in the Sandworm theatre.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• We don't have big salads. We only have small salads.
  • You don't win friends with salad.
  • Fuck. That's going to be in my head all night.
  • This might have been the episode. SOOO 80s.
  • Mmm, rabbit food...
  • Charles is super upset about his girlfriend ordering a salad.
  • Charles is a Wizard in training.
  • What's everyone's obsession with dressing on salad? I had a waitress take egregious personal offense that I asked for no dressing on a salad once, almost to the point of refusing to take my order.
  • Don't Drown Your Food:
  • Thanks to this episode, lunch today is going to be a Sophie's Salad from Saladworks. Those pecans. That blue cheese.
  • Fuck your blue cheese.

Shit is gross.
  • MATATAT said:

Fuck your blue cheese.

Shit is gross.

Salad Dressing tiers:

God Tier:
    Bleu Cheese

Acceptable tier:
    Ranch
    French
    Russian
    Italian

Shit tier:
    Vinaigrette (any)
    Just vinegar and oil
    Just oil
    Just vinegar
    No dressing
  • I can sorta stand blue cheese dressing but straight blue cheese is just creepy. Also you're forgetting so many delicious dressings. And ranch works on literally anything. Def god tier.
  • My problem is salad preparation is a lot of work and I have a bad case of the lazy. Even my wedge salad turns into just a wedge of iceberg lettuce.
  • Fastest good salad:

Cut up some green leaf lettuce
    Chop up a few scallions
    Shred one carrot
    Toss in some cherry/zima tomatoes.
    Croutons
    Dressing

Takes 5 minutes.
  • Rym said:

Fastest good salad:

Cut up some green leaf lettuce
    Chop up a few scallions
    Shred one carrot
    Toss in some cherry/zima tomatoes.
    Croutons
    Dressing

Takes 5 minutes.

Needs moar cucumber.
  • Surprised you guys did not discuss the virtues of a salad spinner (unless I missed it?). If you don't have one, get one. Greens should be dry before you dress them. Water present in the salad dilutes dressing and dulls flavors.
  • Unless you eat the vegetables raw, then water only enhances the pure vegetable flavor.
  • Surprised you guys did not discuss the virtues of a salad spinner (unless I missed it?). If you don't have one, get one. Greens should be dry before you dress them. Water present in the salad dilutes dressing and dulls flavors.

It is very true that water in the salad is bad. I solve this by washing the vegetables in advance, not by using a device AS SEEN ON TV.
  • Just to put it out there, three favorite salads (in order):
    1. Cobb (too much work to make myself though, so I only buy it)
    2. Caesar
    3. Spinach, granny smith apple, strawberries, feta cheese, almonds, and a fruity vinaigrette (have been doing this a lot lately cause it's so good, having it tonight in fact!)

Also, I will say that Rym is wrong. Fastest good salad is a Caesar. You can make that shit in two minutes.
  • My problem is salad preparation is a lot of work and I have a bad case of the lazy. Even my wedge salad turns into just a wedge of iceberg lettuce.

That is like... the complete opposite of reality.

A simple salad is probably one of the easiest things you can possibly make. Tear up raw vegetables, put them in a bowl. Boom. You're done.

You can literally just buy a handful of spinach greens and you have a salad. Then just pour that sweet lady ranch all over it to make it delicious and only partially nutritious.
  • Apreche said:

It is very true that water in the salad is bad. I solve this by washing the vegetables in advance, not by using a device AS SEEN ON TV.

I ain't got time to wait for veggies to air dry. Salad spinners are a necessity in my casa. You'll be surprised at how much water they pull off of the greens. It's like a half cup every time.

Anyway, if you have a special bowl for lettuce heads (which is A++ btw), a salad spinner isn't too much of a stretch, and the pay off is max because you can also use it for noodles!
  • You know what else pulls water out of greens? Shaking them over the sink...
  • Yeah, I just don't care. That's the real problem. I eat salad cause it's supposed to not kill me, unlike the things I actually want to eat.
  • Yeah, I just don't care. That's the real problem. I eat salad cause it's supposed to not kill me, unlike the things I actually want to eat.

Eatin' the wrong salads.
  • I eat the same salads you eat, but salad isn't a steak.
  • You eat steak with a salad. Have a salad with every meal that isn't itself a salad.
  • Rym said:

You know what else pulls water out of greens? Shaking them over the sink...

You don't even know! I'll have to demonstrate one of these days. A crusade. My banner: a dripping head of lettuce... on a pike.
  • Here's a good question. Dried fruit vs. Fresh fruit in salad?