This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sailor Moon returns to the U.S.

Comments

• First season finished. Cannot stop now. Must into Sailor Moon R immediately.
  • Sailor Moon R is the weakest of all Sailor Moon.
  • Rym said:

Sailor Moon R is the weakest of all Sailor Moon.

That's a shame. But it's not like I'm just going to skip it...
  • Funnily enough, the first time I watched it all, I did skip R. I was so into seeing S that I started there after the original and the first half of R.
  • I'm already the opposite of engaged by wandering heart alien couple and their bullshit. Less of that, more of Usagi being silly please.
  • Once they're... dealt with, you get a better plot from some traitors to New Tokyo banished/exiled by Neo-Queen Serenity.
  • I am only watching R because I barely remember it, but it's all coming back to me. I've never watched S. I'm looking forward to that. Moonlight Knight is so lame.
  • Is there an online streaming source for the seasons that aren't up yet on Hulu? Or is this something I'd have to actually obtain?
  • You never watched S?!?

That's where shit gets awesome. That's the whole end-of-the-world Outer Senshi Witches 5 Professor Tomoe "pure na kokoro" crap happens. The whole holy grail plot.
  • Rym said:

You never watched S?!?

That's where shit gets awesome. That's the whole end-of-the-world Outer Senshi Witches 5 Professor Tomoe "pure na kokoro" crap happens. The whole holy grail plot.

To be fair, when that stuff was coming out we were watching Fansubs. It was pretty hit or miss what you got your hands on.

• Rym said:

You never watched S?!?

That sounds a whole lot better than what I can tell R is going to be, which is at least 20 episodes worth of slogging through card monsters of the week and reawakening all the Sailor Soldiers before anything important can happen. If every episode is as bland as this first one I dunno what I'm going to do for dumb TV Tropes episode summaries.
  • Nuri said:

Is there an online streaming source for the seasons that aren't up yet on Hulu? Or is this something I'd have to actually obtain?

I've obtained it from the various tubes of the intertrons.
    Rym said:

You never watched S?!?

I know. I remember watching the show as it sporadically aired on TV. When I got into fansubs, I was into other anime like Kenshin.

• edited August 2014
    Rochelle said:

Nuri said:

Is there an online streaming source for the seasons that aren't up yet on Hulu? Or is this something I'd have to actually obtain?

I've obtained it from the various tubes of the intertrons.
    Okay, I'll just wait for the episodes as they air, then.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • Oh well, at least it only took one episode to get the team back together. That could have been a lot worse.
  • Oh my god I do not care about this Moonlight Knight dude and I hate this fucking aliens. These episodes are so miserable I needed to take a few weeks between them. They are so bad I watched fucking Crystal to get my Sailor Moon hit without having to suffer through more bullshit about pokemon cards or doom trees.

When does this deplorable plot arc get sorted?????
  • But if you skip these episodes, how will you ever find out moonlight knight's secret identity?

It'll be over and dead in 12 episodes. Come back in 6 weeks.
  • GODS I made such a good decision in dropping crystal. I had the sneaking suspicion I was not getting quality for my time after all my friends dropped it after episode 2, and so downloaded the first 3 seasons of the original sailor moon.

At this point, I have just started S, and man the characters, there is a respectable and heartwarming dynamic between the characters that just feels so natural. Its the kind of feeling I got when I was watching ranma 1/2 way back when. The characters and their silliness are just adorable.

Thanks Crystal for at least making me get into the hype, ending with me searching out the original series anyway. I have never watched the series before, and I am starting to understand why it was as beloved as it was.

Although...The enemy designs in S are REALLY bordering on hilarious, to downright atrocious. I thought the other season monsters were bad most of the time, but S is just ...wow.

• So dinosaurs still being around is apparently just a thing in the Sailor Moon universe? Nobody even questions it!

What a weird fucking episode.
  • /r/sailormoon is just gushing over Crystal. Gushing. Guys... it's not good. It's barely mediocre. Please stahp.
  • Here's a list of things I like in Crystal.

1) The opening theme is great.
    2) I like the animation they use just after the shitty transformations when Usagi is like "enemies of teh moon imma punish yous". I wish the rest of the show had that kinetic energy to it.
    3) Usagi is super gay.

That's my list.

Contrast my watching of Sailor Moon Classic. I'm most of the way through R now and it just keeps getting better. Usagi gets to be a badass, her arguments with Chibiusa are always great, cat-based shenanigans are amazing, the villains are both hilarious and hardcore crazy... it's wonderful.

My hand was forced.
  • Here's a list of things I like in Crystal.

1) The opening theme is great.
    2) I like the animation they use just after the shitty transformations when Usagi is like "enemies of teh moon imma punish yous". I wish the rest of the show had that kinetic energy to it.
    3) Usagi is super gay.

That's my list.

Contrast my watching of Sailor Moon Classic. I'm most of the way through R now and it just keeps getting better. Usagi gets to be a badass, her arguments with Chibiusa are always great, cat-based shenanigans are amazing, the villains are both hilarious and hardcore crazy... it's wonderful.

Fair points, but I'ma just point out that the first 5 or 6 episodes of classic aren't exactly riveting either.

I don't know what you guys expected this to be. Aside from some bizzarre stuff in the animation, so far it's shaping up to be exactly what was promised. The biggest reason it sucks is that we only get one episode every first and third weekend. There's not enough drive in the beginning of the series to really support that kind of slow release.

• My hand was forced.

Yer doin' God's work, son.
  • Nuri said:

I don't know what you guys expected this to be.

Knowing the production history, it is pretty obvious that it was rushed out the door to hit the anniversary of the franchise. They cut a lot of corners to make it happen at all.

What I expected was for them to cut corners in the right places. The de facto mantra of this genre has been, for as long as it's existed, "spend the money on OPs, transformations, and attacks." In this show, they seem to spend the least in these areas.

It's not that the CG is CG, nor that it's not the best CG: it's that it STANDS OUT as CG, immediately and obviously distinctly different than the same character animation before and after. It means they were lazy enough to say "sure, it's noticeable, but fuck it."

I think they would have been better off doing a shorter, higher-quality run, than what they're doing not. It could well get better and better (each ep is a tiny bit better put together), but I suspect that the overall laziness of the execution is directly caused by the production/budget delays and a lack of enthusiasm by the core team.

My hand was forced.

It looks like, even if they used CG, they "drew over" that scene so it would match the style of the rest of the show. Many of the other uses of CG are just shown as-is with an obvious shader that looks markedly different from the rest of the show.
  • Agree with Rym. The heavily obvious CG is heavily obvious and distracting. The gif above is actually pretty great. I love it.

The show is just not that consistent in quality and it's very jarring. I also agree with Nuri that the first few episodes are not dynamic/compelling enough to support the trickle release they're doing, and the show suffers from an entirely external/forced mechanic when it shouldn't.

What annoys me about /r/sailormoon is that they're just SLAVERING over Crystal like it's water in the desert, and there's just NO justification for that. :P
  • Rym said:

My hand was forced.

It looks like, even if they used CG, they "drew over" that scene so it would match the style of the rest of the show. Many of the other uses of CG are just shown as-is with an obvious shader that looks markedly different from the rest of the show.
    I'm pretty certain that shot was traditionally animated; the drawing distorts and shifts in interesting ways, which you wouldn't get if they just rotoscoped their creepy 3d models.

Somehow, this still remains glorious.
  • I just got to an excellent moment in Sailor Moon.