This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• Bee and Puppycat comic was top notch. I need more of that series. Also didn't know the was a Bravest Warriors comic until now.
  • Y'all need to be reading Bee and Puppycat. Issue 2 comes with an "interactive" feature with the music box room. It was very cool. Almost as good as watching the animated series.
  • For something I figured would just be worthless fangirl bait, the new Loki series has been loads more enjoyable than it has any right to be. Best issue so far has been the one about Old Man Loki doing his thing in ancient times.
  • I am checking out "Seconds" by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It is amazingly dark, and hilarious.
    but, then again I am half way through so don't take my word for it.
  • I finally read volume one of Saga. Lying Cat is simply the best.
  • I finally read volume one of Saga. Lying Cat is simply the best.

Not lying.
  • Viga said:

Anyone try Lumberjanes? It's had a great, energetic start with some girl campers in a Gravity Falls type of environment. I can't wait till the next issue.

I read the first issue as it was a free comic during the Comixology summer reading list promotion. It's pretty fun, but not something I see myself buying more of.
  • I just finished the amazon.com/The-Sleeper-Omnibus-Ed-Brubaker/dp/1401238033/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408318070&sr=8-1&keywords=sleeper+omnibus by Ed Brubaker. Absolutely great series! Highly recommended to anyone who likes The Wire, noir, and spy novels. The artwork by Sean Phillips is also top-notch. I'm definitely going to have to check out other collaborations between these two.

5/5

• Finally getting to the pile of comics. Read the last two issues of Saga. The new one releases today. Brian K. Vaughn in starting to remind of me of George R.R. Martin. NO ONE IS SAFE, except Hazel since she's telling the story.

Also finally started Locke & Key. Finished volume 1 of the TPB and started volume 2 this morning. I need to know what happened in the past. I may just blaze through this series in the next few days.
  • Rochelle said:

Finally getting to the pile of comics. Read the last two issues of Saga. The new one releases today. Brian K. Vaughn in starting to remind of me of George R.R. Martin. NO ONE IS SAFE, except Hazel since she's telling the story.

Also finally started Locke & Key. Finished volume 1 of the TPB and started volume 2 this morning. I need to know what happened in the past. I may just blaze through this series in the next few days.

I kept hearing good things about Locke & Key. Is it finished yet? I kind of put it on my mental backburner until it was complete.
  • I kept hearing good things about Locke & Key. Is it finished yet? I kind of put it on my mental backburner until it was complete.

Yes, Locke & Key is complete, so you can dive in and not have to worry about hitting the end of the available material and ending up in the waiting zone. I highly recommend picking it up. It's a good read.
  • The last volume 6 is only out on hardback. The TPB comes out in November. I just finished 2. I don't know I can wait that long for the TPB.
  • Rat Queens. It's very good.
  • Love the Sextillion worker image.

In relation, the hard cover is going to be out soon. I kind of want to get it for the extra bits in it, but I already own the TPBs.
  • chaosof99 said:

Rat Queens. It's very good.

Art will be changing in the future - Roc Upchurch, the illustrator, just got fired after being arrested on a domestic violence charge.
  • Batman is pretty much the only DC comic worth reading from the New 52. That and the Grant Morrison run of Action Comics.
  • Multiversity has been pretty good so far, especially Pax Americana. It's got a very Watchmen feel to it. Other than that, I agree.
  • Rochelle said:

Love the Sextillion worker image.

In relation, the hard cover is going to be out soon. I kind of want to get it for the extra bits in it, but I already own the TPBs.

The hard covers are pretty good for the slightly larger artwork.

I too only have the TPBs even though I knew the hardbacks were coming (because I couldn't wait) kind of the reason I have Preacher and Scalped in the soft covers.

I didn't think the extras were all that notable in some of Vaughn's other work - Y the Last Man and Ex Machina.
  • I just finished reading the final volume of Locke and Key - wow, both the ending and the entire story was great, the hardcover presentation was pretty good too. Joe Hill writes well while Rodriguez makes the story flow amazingly.

Just started Mouse Guard: The Black Axe, the story is quite epic, you forget it's a story of mice. The illustrated animals are great. The paper stock is incredibly thick, probably the thickest I've found yet.
    It's an epic medieval story with animals instead of humans.
  • I'm still feeling my way into comics in general, but I think far and away my current favourite is Ms. Marvel. It's the book that finally made me cave and start buying/reading comics and its definitely lived up to my expectations. The level of diversity in it and characters are fantastic.

I recently read the first issue of the new Sabrina series and its creepy vibe really struck a cord with me. I'm hoping further issues are just as good.
    sK0pe said:

I just finished reading the final volume of Locke and Key - wow, both the ending and the entire story was great, the hardcover presentation was pretty good too. Joe Hill writes well while Rodriguez makes the story flow amazingly.

Just started Mouse Guard: The Black Axe, the story is quite epic, you forget it's a story of mice. The illustrated animals are great. The paper stock is incredibly thick, probably the thickest I've found yet.

Have you played Mice and Mystics sK0pe? Very similar vibe.
  • Finished the newest installment of Black Sad titled Amarillo.
    If you want Disney style comics with great painted water colours and a noir theme, you can't miss this.
    If the person I was the Secret Santa was even a bit into comics I would get them something from this series.
    Koeniou said:

I'm still feeling my way into comics in general, but I think far and away my current favourite is Ms. Marvel. It's the book that finally made me cave and start buying/reading comics and its definitely lived up to my expectations. The level of diversity in it and characters are fantastic.

I recently read the first issue of the new Sabrina series and its creepy vibe really struck a cord with me. I'm hoping further issues are just as good.

sK0pe said:

I just finished reading the final volume of Locke and Key - wow, both the ending and the entire story was great, the hardcover presentation was pretty good too. Joe Hill writes well while Rodriguez makes the story flow amazingly.

Have you played Mice and Mystics sK0pe? Very similar vibe.
    Nope however it looks pretty cool.
    My gaming group is not really into anything RPG that isn't Dungeons and Dragons so I'm not very well versed in RPG games.
  • Apreche said:
    It's cool you're getting to meet him. I'm currently reading through his Y The Last Man series. It seems timely with feminism and sexism being discussed.

I thought I would just read the first chapter of the first book and ended up reading 200 pages instead.
  • edited December 2014
    I just opened what is perhaps the best box of comics I've received in the past few years

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin volume VIII
    Dungeon Twilight: Volume 4 - The end of Dungeon
    Saga volume Four
    Master Keaton: The Perfect Edition - Volume 1
    Satoshi Kon's Opus
    Adventure Time: Candy Capers
    MLP: Friends Forever #12 (this one doesn't really matter)

https://imgur.com/a/xPOzN
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Currently reading Thor by Jason Aaron, Wytches by Scott Sneider, Ms Marvel by G. Willow Wilson, Wayward by Jim Zub, Chew by Rob Guilory, Gotham Academy by Camerob Stewarts, Batgirl by Babs Tarr, Jim Hensons The Storyteller: Witches, Afterlife with Archie, Sabrinas Chilling Tales, Oddly Normal by Otis Freyerman, Storm by Greg Pak.
  • In terms of graphic novels my two Most recent are In Real Life by Corey Doctorow and Jen Wang and Orphan Blade by Nick Almand and Jake Myler.
  • edited December 2014
    Probably the best non-Saga book I've been reading lately is The Wicked and the Divine. It features one of my favourite depictions of Satan/Lucifer in media I've seen in a long time, oh mans. The series would be worth reading for her alone, never mind all the other awesome stuff on display. Really loving the premise, all the characters, and the artwork especially. Can't wait to read the new issue and pick up where the last cliffhanger left off.

First trade came out recently and is the same cheap price as the first trade of Saga, so it's totally worth picking up and checking out if you're looking for a new series.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • The fourth Hellboy Library Edition was good, but there's something just... jarring... about another artist drawing the Big Red Guy. Not to say that the art was bad, it was still excellent, but Mignola's style is so distinctive and fits the book so well that any other artist just seems slightly out of place.

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen, by Lucy Knisley, was a great slice-of-life meets cooking memoir. The author's use of food as a centerpoint on which to reminisce was a great idea. Just don't read this book on an empty stomach because all the talk about delicious food will have you craving after just a couple pages.
  • edited December 2014
    Afterlife with Archie just picked back up with Betty R.I.P, and continues to be fucking amazing. First trade of Escape from Riverdale is out too.

Also, in news that might get some of you jazzed because in 47 words from the next comma the word Saga appears, Archie Comics is having a main-title reboot, with the creative team being none other than Mark Waid(Iredeemable, Incorruptable, Ex-Boom EIC and Chief Creative) and Fiona Staples(I could throw out a couple here, but let's face it the only one you care about is Saga). It's an end-to-end revamp, no more of the weird 50's-but-with-internet-access bullshit, and they're promising stuff that's more relevant and topical for modern readers, rather than topical for a decade occupied by the parents of modern readers - Or, to quote Jon Goldwater, CEO of Archie Comics, "Dusty, irrelevant, and watered down."

Here's an art sample.

Post edited by Churba on