This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I did the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge today (in my own special way that was way overboard). Anybody else have videos of them doing it? Also what do you guys think about this whole viral campaign?

Comments

• Someone on Facebook posted a video where she nominated someone else to do it and then she did it. I didn't get what the point was.
  • Theres no point whatsoever actually. It's Al's Ice Bucket challenge, invented by Al, a guy who dumped cold water on his head for no reason at all.
  • It's been going around quite a bit, particularly in the hockey community. Among other people Gary Bettman, Commissioner of the NHL has done it.

Basically it's just a funny idea to raise awareness and donations for research of a certain disease or other charitable cause, no different than stuff like the guys from How Ridiculous do, or events like the Flyers Wives Carnival to take one example. Entertain people and ask them to give money, not to you but to a charitable cause.
  • Waste of water.
  • The guy who started the ice bucket challenge apparently died when jumping off the Juice Guys store in Nantucket.
  • Teenager's death linked to ice bucket challenge, writes the guardian...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/25/teenager-death-ice-bucket-challenge-cameron-lancaster

Surely it was jumping 80 feet into the a quarry thats the problem?
  • The ALS group is trying to trademark Ice Bucket Challenge.
  • I'm expecting a nomination today. Someone I was out drinking with last night is doing one today and he said he needed to think of nominations and I got pointed at... But then I went home and he apparently got very drunk. So hopefully he'll forget.
  • or you could get called out and not do anything. I have a crap ton of friends and no one has called me out because they know I'll just be like "screw you peer pressure" even though I actually don't have an issue with the ALS challenge.
  • Just do a Patrick Stewart.
  • sK0pe said:

Just do a Patrick Stewart.

Do a Charlie Sheen.

• Am I being a bad person by thinking that I'm going to make my donation to a different charity? I figure ALS has gotten a billion dollars so far, and I would rather donate to the Crohns and Colitis Foundation. Maybe that makes me selfish, but I'd prefer to give any spare charity money to something that could directly benefit me in my later years.
  • UncleUlty said:

Am I being a bad person by thinking that I'm going to make my donation to a different charity? I figure ALS has gotten a billion dollars so far, and I would rather donate to the Crohns and Colitis Foundation. Maybe that makes me selfish, but I'd prefer to give any spare charity money to something that could directly benefit me in my later years.

Who says you can't donate to both?