This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - AVGN: The Movie: The Experience

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the perfectly solid, definitely-worth-seeing Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie. We were able to attend a screening in New York, and it was definitely worth it. We review the movie (no spoilers: don't worry)... but we also review the crowd. They were, shall we say, maximal in many attributes. In the news, the US Copyright Office gives clear direction that it will not register copyright on a picture taken by a monkey, and you shouldn't post photos of your giant pile of cash on social media: someone might murder you for it.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• WILDWOOD *shakes fist* I am overdue for a trip down there, but do agree the boardwalk has slowly went to shit. If you know of the hidden spots of gold its worth the trek.
  • Haven't listened to the episode yet, but if there's Wildwood discussion, I can confirm that slowly is the operative word. That shit has been going downhill since I can remember first going there in the '90s. I am a 2 hour drive away but haven't been back there in many years. Maybe if I was going overnight I would still consider it, but there are way too many awesome towns along the Jersey shore that are superior daytrips. Then again, if I was going for an overnight, my old man factor would kick in, and I'd want to just enjoy the beach and the relaxing factor, which would put me in Cape May or Stone Harbor.
  • Coldguy said:

WILDWOOD *shakes fist* I am overdue for a trip down there, but do agree the boardwalk has slowly went to shit. If you know of the hidden spots of gold its worth the trek.

I mean, the boardwalk is still on the beach, and it still has a handful of awesome things that we mentioned like Russo's, Alumni Grill, Hooked on Books, Pinball place. But it used to be such that every arcade had at least a few real games. Now it's pretty much 100% cranes and ticket games. Beach is still beach, though.
  • Yeah you aren't going to find many shore arcades with anything but redemption machines or cranes now. Point Pleasant would be your best boardwalk bet. Asbury Park for the superior pinball place (Silverball). If you want to live the arcade dream, you get off the Parkway in Red Bank and stop at Yestercades, and then eat at some of the top-notch restaurants.
  • I have not seen the movie in the theater, but interacting with fans of online content I can tell you that they will go to extremes to meet their fans. (See the two fans pretending to be staff watching them film at CTcon).

My worst experience is where a guy followed us to meet people. It was MAGFest 8 we had to tell him, "Dude you are acting like a stalker, go away." He was upset and went to watching us from a distance. Some fans don't have the social prowness to be able to hang out with people, if only they could work on that.
  • Coldguy said:

I have not seen the movie in the theater, but interacting with fans of online content I can tell you that they will go to extremes to meet their fans. (See the two fans pretending to be staff watching them film at CTcon).

My worst experience is where a guy followed us to meet people. It was MAGFest 8 we had to tell him, "Dude you are acting like a stalker, go away." He was upset and went to watching us from a distance. Some fans don't have the social prowness to be able to hang out with people, if only they could work on that.

Well, usually there's going to be a few "that guys" in any nerdy crowd. But this was 90% saturation.
  • edited August 2014
    A couple of things about Wildwood's board walk. It's a fun walk. (it's a dangerous bike ride :-p) While the arcades have been declining in quality beyond the advent of the Pinball Arcade by the crazy person Randy. HOWEVER, Food on the boardwalk has dramatically increased in quality on the boardwalk. More specialty shops actually trying to sell quality food. Which is definitely changing what used to be a waste land of ice cream/pizza/fried stuff. I'm also sad to report that there is not a DDR machine on that entire boardwalk. There are however a bunch of new non-crane games of various quality. On the last pier (sportland) there is a cool nook where they keep parts of old rides and art. It's pretty neat.

Plus you can't beat the beach there. Thankfully Wildwood didn't build on it's huge beaches and they are free... I'm biased though because I have a family house in North Wildwood.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • What are the new non-crane games?
  • edited August 2014
    In my case, this whole "beach with boardwalk" thing is just not something I'm used to, so it doesn't matter much to me. Every beach I've been to has basically just been sand + water, with maybe, maybe, an ice cream stand or snack bar of some sort.

Edit: geeze, I make too many typos in the morning.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • edited August 2014
    Welcome to New Jersey and parts of California and Virginia were boardwalks are king :-p

Rubin, I don't remember, it was like 2 months ago, and I went down for the day before the baby, I have a hard time remembering life immediately before baby do to sleep deprivation :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Nothing against boardwalks... Just that they are an unfamiliar concept to me as typically we don't have them in New England, at least in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
  • Arn't beaches in New England just rocks?
  • And cold ass water.
  • Cremlian said:

Arn't beaches in New England just rocks?

There's a mix. The beaches in my home town were all quite sandy. Beaches on Cape Cod are also quite sandy as the entire Cape is basically one big sand bar.

Northern New England beaches do tend to be rockier, however.
  • Rym, you are way too nice. I would have told elbow guy off after the third time.
  • I felt bad enough even talking about elbow guy on the show. Dude obviously has some issues, and antagonizing him would have probably grievously rustled his jimmies.
  • edited August 2014
    OK, I listened, and have come to verify Rym & Scott's tale of woe, for I was there as well. Rym was in no position to defend himself, as the undulating man threatened to fully envelope Rym at any moment, forever trapping him in damp, fleshy folds.

I need to make it clear here that this episode contained no exaggerations about the experience. Rym's companion was, without a doubt, patient zero. The largest and loudest of all. The bit about the awkward laugh reaction to any namedrop, cameo, or pandering humor was absolutely true. I liken it to the sound of Tusken Raiders.

My favorite part of the movie was when Scott had to tell the woman in front of us to turn her fucking phone off as she was filming the opening credits, and probably would have continued until her battery died or her arms fell off.

The one big takeaway I had was that James poured a lot of himself into this film. I remember him getting burnt out by the fandom and his schedule at one point a few years back, and you can tell that having this rabid legion of fans (especially these fans) is a burden on him at the same time as it actually enables him to do what he does. That's some deep shit to deal with. He took a LOT of shots at his own fans in the movie, and they fucking ate it up.

I was ready to leave that Q&A well before we even decided to jet. I could not believe it when the widebodies would not move to assist our exit. There was not enough room to gracefully step, so I had to perform some sort of pole vaulting maneuver that involved me placing all of my weight on the seatbacks of the row in front of us. Oh, and praying.

OK but as for the movie:
    - I take Rym's side on the intentionally cheesy miniatures bits, likely because I really did love the colander usage
    - I take Scott's side on the film merely meeting my (low) expectations, although this is 100% relative.
    - I was generally impressed with their ability to shoot this film. I have met a ton of amatuer movie buffs just like James. Generally they think they are a lot more hot shit than they really are. As soon as they get their hands on money, they rent the most expensive possible equipment and attempt to use it themselves, rather than paying a professional crew member. Camera men alone cost over $900/day, and the cocky amatuer balks at this. James did it right. He made a real movie. He did not fall into these traps of amateurism with professional equipment, and I commend him for that.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Matt said:

I could not believe it when the widebodies would not move to assist our exit. There was not enough room to gracefully step, so I had to perform some sort of pole vaulting maneuver that involved me placing all of my weight on the seatbacks of the row in front of us.

I gave up and just stepped on them.

That moment was literally one of the weirdest social interactions that I've ever had in my entire life.
    Matt said:

Oh, and praying.

• You know, I have a lot less sympathy for the fat asscrack crowd now that I know how easy it is to get pants that fit the big and tall male. You're doing more damage to your pride by having the asscrack out than you ever could do just walking into a big and tall store.
  • Man, I really need to hear this story. Currently cannot, but look forward to it. I believe that PAX will be playing the movie on Friday night. I probably won't go to it. I'd rather play board games.
  • Fun episode! It's also funny that you look down on this crowd, as pretty much everyone else looks down at the gamer and anime scene.
  • Meanwhile, I'm really not sure what the copyright office is thinking with this new list of guidelines. I like the overall reasoning, but I think it's way overly simplistic to put in something about monkeys and elephants and leave out all other animals. An elephant can get out paints and pick up brushes and understands that they are making images on paper. So can apes. But until a monkey can select a camera, do all the technical setup, then take photos, then intentionally select and edit them and post them online, there is no where near the same kind of intention.
  • It's also funny that you look down on this crowd, as pretty much everyone else looks down at the gamer and anime scene.

I also often end up looking down on big chunks of the gamer/anime scene. I experience a horrifying panoply of behavior, odor, and behavior at most fan conventions. PAX has the least issues of all of them, but they are still there. Small gaming cons and scifi cons have the worst bar none.

• edited August 2014

Fun episode! It's also funny that you look down on this crowd, as pretty much everyone else looks down at the gamer and anime scene.

Geekery is great. Being excited about things is great. Displays of uncontrolled exuberance are not good, no matter what they are directed towards. What we witnessed was basically no different than religious nuts writhing around and speaking tongues.

Cool people are cool. They chill out. They enjoy things, but they don't flip the fuck out for ANY reason whatsoever, be it positive or negative. Applauding, cheering, smiling, jeering, these are things an adult does. Screaming, jumping, flapping, gibbering, these are the behaviors of a child.

The best example of this I can remember is from my youth when there was a big Michael Jackson concert live on prime time TV. To the left of the stage there was a very visible bank of ambulances. In the aisle between the crowd and the front of the stage there was a stretcher brigade continuously carting people off who had fainted.

Going to a concert like that, cheering, singing, dancing, and generally having a great time are to be expected. Sitting quietly at such an event would be strange indeed, but losing control of oneself to the point of passing out is even worse. I am legitimately frightened of people who can not control themselves regardless of the circumstances. I can think of little more dangerous than a human being in such a state.

TL;DR: I'm not looking down on them because they are fans of AVGN. I am also a fan of the same thing! That's why I was there. I am looking down on them because of their behavior.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I also give a pass to anyone under the age of 12 or so.
  • Rym said:

I also give a pass to anyone under the age of 12 or so.

Yes. It's expected for children to act like children.
  • It isn't just "basically not different to religious nuts", it's exactly the same thing. I mean it fulfills the same function for the people involved.

Don't you remember this episode of Geeknights where we discussed this topic exactly? If you can have secular peak experiences, there is no need to believe in supernatural causes for similar religious-environment experiences. It's the same thing happening in the brain, and has the same function for the participants.
  • edited August 2014
    Also, specifically when it comes to being a fan of another human being. Let's say you meet the person you are the biggest fan of in the entire universe. Their work(s) have touched you and had a incredibly significant impact on your life. That's terrific.

If you meet this person, you want to communicate to them how much their work means to you, so that they will feel good. Obviously you will be nervous. But if you can not control yourself, you will fail in this endeavor. Instead of the person thinking "All that work was worth it, look at the joy I have delivered!" they will think "This is the kind of nut that enjoys my work?"
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Also, specifically when it comes to being a fan of another human being. Let's say you meet the person you are the biggest fan of in the entire universe. Their work(s) have touched you and had a incredibly significant impact on your life. That's terrific.

If you meet this person, you want to communicate to them how much their work means to you, so that they will feel good. Obviously you will be nervous. But if you can not control yourself, you will fail in this endeavor. Instead of the person thinking "All that work was worth it, look at the joy I have delivered!" they will think "This is the kind of nut that enjoys my work?"

Indeed. It reminds me of how I met Noriyuki Iwadare (music composer for the Lunar and Grandia games, among others) a few years back. I'm obviously a huge fan of his work and was nervous as hell to have the opportunity to meet him, get an autograph, etc. However, I didn't freak out at all. I met him, asked for an autograph, asked if I could have my picture taken with him, and that was it. All cool, no problems whatsoever.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

I also give a pass to anyone under the age of 12 or so.

Yes. It's expected for children to act like children.
    Agreed. But I don't blame them or find them annoying for it.