This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Concerts: How Worthwhile Are They?

edited August 2014 in Conventions
I admit. I'm a puritan who listens to mostly fantasy-inspired music, music with some folk influences, video game music, and anime OSTs such as music by Two Steps from Hell, Thomas Bergersen, Ivan Torrent, pre-Unforgiving Within Temptation, Nightwish, Dragonforce, Akiko Shikata, Enya, Adrian von Ziegler, Yuki Kajiura, Loreena McKinnet, Secret Garden, Yoko Kanno, and other video game or anime composers. I also listen to melodic trance/techno such as music by Armin van Buuren and Markus Shulz, but for whatever reason, I absolutely cannot get into stuff like the Beatles (flame me if you will) or contemporary mainstream North American pop, rock, or country. There are some old pop songs I admire yet I still prefer Thomas Bergersen's music.

Based on my preferences, are the concerts worthwhile or should I just spend my time elsewhere?
Post edited by Hethalos on

Comments

• The acts are announced far in advance of the con itself (by PAX standards), so check them out beforehand. I usually take a break to see Anamanaguchi and the Minibosses, as I'm a fan.

Bring earplugs.
  • MC Frontalot is the only person I'm really familiar with at all in the lineup. Bit Brigade seems kinda neat. The concerts are not really my thing because there's a lot of smelly people for lack of a better term. I'm no stranger to people being sweaty and probably not smelling the best. Especially at rock shows. But its generally just people standing around still managing to be smelly and sweaty. The couple I've been to previously I thought were pretty decent shows but I also don't really care much for the people playing so I haven't attended for a while. I think it's generally the people you get at PAX are people that usually don't go to shows very often, or only going because they're also at PAX, so it's a different experience.
  • I am a big Frontalot fan, and as long as I am not in the middle of a big game, I usually catch his PAX East set. The concert area never fills up, and it's streaming on all of the TVs around the con, so it's extremely easy to say "oh hey, look, Frontalot is on" and take a quick detour.

Most of the other concerts are usually skippable. I like Anamanaguchi and caught them last year. Their new stuff is so much better live than their old stuff, but it's painful to see them mix in their old hits, and have to hear that incredible quality gap. The old albums are awesome, but they just don't work live.
  • Addendum: if this is your first PAX, you should check out a concert.
  • Matt said:

Addendum: if this is your first PAX, you should check out a concert.

That's some sound advice. You can always leave too if its not your thing.
  • Why does this need a separate thread from the PAX thread?
  • Looking at the PAX Prime lineup, for the love of god see the Triforce Quartet. They've played twice at MAGFest and they are incredible. Bit Brigade is super fun too because you get the combo of really good heavy versions of 8-Bit songs with the speed run in the back. I've seen them play Megaman 2 and Legend of Zelda, but I hear they do Ninja Gaiden too.
  • edited August 2014
    Nukerjsr said:

Looking at the PAX Prime lineup, for the love of god see the Triforce Quartet. They've played twice at MAGFest and they are incredible. Bit Brigade is super fun too because you get the combo of really good heavy versions of 8-Bit songs with the speed run in the back. I've seen them play Megaman 2 and Legend of Zelda, but I hear they do Ninja Gaiden too.

Thanks for all the sound (no pun intended) recommendations! I'll be sure to check them out whenever I get the chance to attend a PAX.
    Post edited by Hethalos on
  • MATATAT said:

That's some sound advice.

I see what you did there.

also
    Greg said:

Why does this need a separate thread from the PAX thread?