This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Judith on the Spot

Tonight on GeekNights, Scott literally forgot to come to the studio, so rather than demonstrate the GeekNights process to our studio guest, I put Judith (@loltsundere) on the spot and made her a guest host. So what do we talk about? A bunch of meta about how GeekNights is made. Also Adventure Time, Teen Titans Go, Gay Marriage Victory, how horrible Louisiana is, the ridiculous Neckbeard Benghazi that is "#gamergate", and a bunch of other stuff. It's totally fun.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Would Star Trek: The Next Generation count as a show that got better as it changed over time? Star Trek: Deep Space Nine would definitely be one that was better over time, but I didn't follow it after they killed Jadzia.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • edited September 2014
    Ezri started off cloying, but she DID get better.

By the way, Rym: if you say that radio is dead again, I will call you out.
    Also, if you want to make editing easier between segments, rather than start-stopping recording, you should make a track marker while editing.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • M*A*S*H* changed over time and got better.
  • Actually a lot of shows get better from season to season Buffy is a good example of that. However other shows get really bad after a strong season, Heroes and Glee are good examples of that.
  • comedy shows often get better after the first season. Drama type shows usually have a strong first season and fall off afterwards as they try and keep up an interesting story. Not always the case but in a large majority of shows I've noticed that the trend.
  • "Neckbeard Benghazi." I like that. I'm going to use that. Where did you steal that from?
  • Rym made it up. I later renamed it Trilby Neckbeard Beghazi. Penceos refers to them at the TNB.
  • Judith sounds like Bee from Bee and Puppycat.
  • Judith sounds like Bee from Bee and Puppycat.

Judith cosplayed as Bee at Zenkaikon.

• Did somebody cosplay as Puppycat? Or did she tote around a plushie?
  • Rochelle said:

Rym made it up. I later renamed it Trilby Neckbeard Beghazi. Penceos refers to them at the TNB.

Well then, props all around. That's a fantastic turn of phrase.

• I was proud of it when I came up with it. It so perfectly encapsulates what that "movement" is, along with my incomparable disdain toward it.
  • The way these two felt about Teen Titans Go! is the way I felt about Spongebob then and now. Never gave a damn about the manchild fry-cook and his friends so now, in the newer seasons when they get into wackier and dumber things, I can still find it funny. (The older ones have more merit though)
  • I really liked the original Teen Titans, but then again, I was like 10.
  • I've been keeping a team wipe and cannibalism count. Both are in the high twenties right now.
  • MATATAT said:

comedy shows often get better after the first season. Drama type shows usually have a strong first season and fall off afterwards as they try and keep up an interesting story. Not always the case but in a large majority of shows I've noticed that the trend.

The Office and Parks and Recreation are good examples of that. The US Office just tried to ape the BBC show in the first season, but when it finally found it's own footing in the second season, it's great. P&R is similar, because it tried to copy The Office in the 1st Season. 2nd Season? Finally became it's own show and continued to get better.
  • Early Blackadder featured Blackadder as the stupid one and Baldrick as the clever one. The show did badly and it's budget was massively reduced. Then from season two they changed the characters up a bit and it was a much better show.
  • What timestamp did you talk about TNB?
  • I guess having Scott on the show is better. No offense to Judith (who's "maybe gay"- and Serena Williams is too??) but I think Rym and Scott weirdly not looking at each other and doing a podcast is something that should not be tampered with.

Wow, how could the Teen Titans audience be further segmented? The first Teen Titans scared off people who hate anime or hate an American show trying to be anime. Then Teen Titans Go comes out, and it turns off the people who want their Teen Titans to be more serious.

I liked both Teen Titans, so I'm just in heaven.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2015
    Teen Titans Go continues to be A game.

Post edited by Rym on
  • I mean, seriously.